Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Kacee
The change is much more recent than that. Up until a few months ago, R was reliably opened to equal J around T-24.

Note that there are some pretty cheap UP/UPDI fares being offered on ps right now, and that is probably having a seriously negative impact on upgrade availability.
I agree this is a more recent change - I regularly purchase gf/bf to EMEA and economy on the return and use my GPU's to upgrade - I would almost always clear the return at booking - now I sweat it out as UA is much more stingy in opening up space - it's really noticeable. I'm currently on a flight back from FRA that was only upgraded a few days in advance - in spite of lots of availability. I can't blame UA for trying to sell the seats but it's a dramatic difference from how it used to be....
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I agree this is a more recent change - I regularly purchase gf/bf to EMEA and economy on the return and use my GPU's to upgrade - I would almost always clear the return at booking - now I sweat it out as UA is much more stingy in opening up space - it's really noticeable. I'm currently on a flight back from FRA that was only upgraded a few days in advance - in spite of lots of availability. I can't blame UA for trying to sell the seats but it's a dramatic difference from how it used to be....
Ouch. And you're a GS. Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: MileagePlus GS
Just was offered a buy-up at check in to Global First for $829.00 on a P Fare AMS-ORD. Declined the offer. That's a lot of money for a bowl of soup.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CashN
I don't subscribe to NYT so I couldn't view the article. Anything of note to a disgruntled 1K flyer?
if you are unable to see a full article for the majority of newspapers then simply google the full title of the article and click the first link on google
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Gold
SFO-EWR
K fare
$1999 at airport check in (luggage)
Declined d'oh.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
ICN-SFO UA 892 Thus, 9/18/14
C (P pr Z) ->F from $5,999

Accepted: Not a chance!

I guess the pricing department didn't get the memo from Rainey that UA's Int'l F is the same as C.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:23 am

EWR TO PHX

258 bucks each way, each passenger for United First (P) i believe. (look at me, looking fare classes and everything..i'm learning)

I did it for two reasons. PHX is a long flight, and in doing so this gets me Silver status with the bonus PQM.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Lga to Ord: Offered $59. Accepted. Rebooked to A.
I'm sure this is covered elsewhere, but I get PQMs but not PQDs, correct?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
If I'm not mistaken, buy ups don't count for anything for earnings unless they rebook you during IRROPS and happen to rebook you under a full fare F fare code. I've always earned PQM and PQD for my coach fare, not the buy up.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Lga to Ord: Offered $59. Accepted. Rebooked to A.
I'm sure this is covered elsewhere, but I get PQMs but not PQDs, correct?
It depends on whether you were reticketed with a new fare basis. A new booking code (e.g., A) does not necessarily mean you will accrue according to that code.

Originally Posted by diburning
If I'm not mistaken, buy ups don't count for anything for earnings unless they rebook you during IRROPS and happen to rebook you under a full fare F fare code. I've always earned PQM and PQD for my coach fare, not the buy up.
Not necessarily. Some post-ticketing buy-ups will change the fare basis and thus (i) count toward PQDs, and (ii) accrue based on the new fare basis.

The whole process is incredibly opaque.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
SFO-JFK
Wednesday 17 September, 2014
Q Fare
$299
Did not accept
Went from 21/28 booked when I checked a few hours after check-in to 28/28 by the time I got ready to board. Nobody cleared from the upgrade list, I ended #1.

RPU didn't clear for the 5th time on a p.s. flight this year, mostly SFO-JFK. No luck this year at all, 2/9 on RPUs (5 missed p.s., LAS-EWR, PHX-EWR). Will likely end the year with unused RPUs for first time ever.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Same experience here after multiple RTs SFO to JFK trying to use one of my two regionals. As a Plat, upgrades on united now pretty much never occur and I regularly get offered a low price buy up. Space available upgrades are basically no longer a benefit when you use a pricing algorithm calibrated to price at a level that will sell every remaining seat.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aussieinsf
Same experience here after multiple RTs SFO to JFK trying to use one of my two regionals. As a Plat, upgrades on united now pretty much never occur and I regularly get offered a low price buy up. Space available upgrades are basically no longer a benefit when you use a pricing algorithm calibrated to price at a level that will sell every remaining seat.
This is really distressing to read. Is this the new reality on a regular basis, that if you don't clear at booking, that's it? You either clear right away or face a TOD at check-in? Honestly, I thought UAInsider explicitly said some time ago that this was not supposed to happen. Has this changed?

Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by as219
I thought UAInsider explicitly said some time ago that this was not supposed to happen. Has this changed?
He did say that. UA management has never intended to fix the issues which result in TODs.
They are simply not interested in losing the buy up money.

Dave
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
EWR-DFW
Monday, September 22
W fare
$79
I took it. This was the final leg of a trip DFW-HKG. The upgrade HKG-EWR cleared a few weeks in advance on a GPU, but this leg did not. Most of the day I was #1 on the list, and 4 open seats started disappearing. Two seats were left, I was by this time #5 on the upgrade list - then on the app it showed an upgrade available for $79. I grabbed it. I felt bad for #3, but I also felt I should have cleared earlier on the GPU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.