Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 9:02 am

What Route: ORD-IAD
Original Fare Bucket: K
Price Offered: $149
Where it was Offered: At OLCI
Accepted? No

Jumped back and forth from $149 to $389 at various times before departure.

What Route: IAD-ORD
Original Fare Bucket: K
Price Offered: $149
Accepted? No
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
BOS->EWR->BOM: DEL->EWR->BOS
From W fare
Roughly $1400 to upgrade EWR->BOM. $2,800 to upgrade DEL->EWR
Offered when I tried to upgrade shortly after purchasing the ticket.
Accepted. That upgraded the first leg in Y and the second in Z.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, United Club, IHG Ambassador/Spire
Route : EWR - AMS
Original Fare Bucket: P
Price Offered: $829
Upgrade to GlobalFirst
Accepted? No
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Route : EWR - CDG
Original Fare Bucket: P
Price Offered: $5,999 (x2)
Upgrade to Global First
Accepted? Was REALLY tempted since I might get some soup and a slightly wider seat...but I'll pass.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Route : SFO - YVR
Original Fare Bucket: T
Price Offered: $419
Upgrade to First
Where it was Offered: At Booking

Route : YVR - SFO
Original Fare Bucket: V
Price Offered: $269
Upgrade to First

Bought T and V fares, which are $156++ and $300++.
Got an upgrade offer for $419 and $269. Z class is $567++ each way. So the upgrade offer was about the same as buying Z class outright.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Route : SYD - SFO and SFO-SYD
Original Fare Bucket: Z
Price Offered: $4189 each way
Upgrade to Global First
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:09 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Route: ORD-FRA, 3-class 777
Booked: P (one of the $1500 deals)
Offered: $872 to F (at OLCI)
Declined
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jgsx
Kacee, please do not post your incorrect information as if you know what you're talking about. It is a disservice to the forum.

This thread is titled "2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)" and has nothing to do with using confirmed instruments, so I'll start out with the UFC/PCU points.

Proof:
Y-fare ticket. UFC/PCU purchased at 24 hours. Booked into ZN. Posted as ZN. I am GS.

Notice that MP had to manually correct this to post the bonuses associated with a full Y ticket.

Another-
B-fare ticket. UFC/PCU purchased at 24 hours. Booked into ZN. Posted as ZN.

Again, MP had to manually correct this.

Yet another-
Y-fare ticket. UFC/PCU purchased at 24 hours. Booked into ZN. Posted as ZN.

Once again, MP had to manually correct this.

So, as I started with, for PCU/UFC upgrades that post into ZN, the "N" has absolutely nothing to do with the N fare class.

ZN is an upgrade bucket. Just like how PN and RN have absolutely nothing to do with N, neither does ZN.

This isn't an issue for people except for those starting with a B/Y ticket. It is a known issue by UA, but who knows how long it will take to fix. Often times when I call MP, they see the problem before I even explain it.

Ok, you also mashed up multiple topics unrelated to UFC/PCU, and I'll correct those to.

Wrong. See proof above. You're confusing instant upgrades, which only apply to "domestic" (there are a few other locations) flights and not international. 1K and GS get an instant upgrade into PN if PN is available. For international, a 1K upgrade instrument doesn't book into PN, even from B/Y, it's still R/RN. GS instruments book into PN for all routes.

While it's true that for normal econ to BF upgrades, the flights post as Z%, where % is the original fare, this thread is clearly about UFC/PCU, and it is different for UFC/PCU. You guessed that it was the same and you were proven wrong.

Again, if you are guessing, either identify that or don't post. I read through some of your other posts and you have a clear history of guessing incorrectly.
This is confusing, so I looked into my account for my last UFC and my NRT-ORD shows as "A-class". All of my instrument upgraded flights to biz show as "ZW" international.

Was my NRT-ORD UFC from W to A supposed to show as something else? Does the ZN bucket only apply to Y,B,M to Z? Should a W to A UFC have been listed as AN?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Route : SFO - IAD
Original Fare Bucket: X
Price Offered: $2179 (!!)
Upgrade to First
Where it was Offered: At Checkin

(Walkup F fare is $1,666. Thanks Jeffie)
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Route : ORD - FAI
Original Fare Bucket: S
Price Offered: $259
Upgrade to First (posted as P class)
Accepted? Yes

Route : YVR - IAD
Original Fare Bucket: W
Price Offered: $249
Upgrade to Business (posted as ZW class)
Accepted? Yes

Pleasantly surprised to receive automatic refund of previously paid Economy Plus fees. (Needless to say, I have no status on UA.)

Last edited by skippythelizard; Jul 23, 2014 at 3:27 pm Reason: Wrong city pair for 2nd flight
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth
This is confusing, so I looked into my account for my last UFC and my NRT-ORD shows as "A-class". All of my instrument upgraded flights to biz show as "ZW" international.

Was my NRT-ORD UFC from W to A supposed to show as something else? Does the ZN bucket only apply to Y,B,M to Z? Should a W to A UFC have been listed as AN?
Was this in the 24h leading up to departure? There might be a difference in how upgrades are handled if you buy them further in advance.

I remember my BF upgrades for cash (premium seating option?) posting as a higher fare bucket a few years ago.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Was this in the 24h leading up to departure? There might be a difference in how upgrades are handled if you buy them further in advance.

I remember my BF upgrades for cash (premium seating option?) posting as a higher fare bucket a few years ago.
No, my W-A UFC was approx. two weeks out. But still, these fare codes are damn confusing in this case.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Route: SFO->SIN->DEN
Original Fare bucket: V
Price offered: $14,000 (!) to upgrade all segments
Upgrade to BF
Where offered: PCU at booking
Declined, of course (GPUs applied successfully).
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
STL ORD EWR - original fare for both segments was $218.00 in S and V class - July 18

STL ORD upgrade offered at OLCI for $99.00 on CRJ - declined

ORD EWR upgrade offer at OLCI for $79 on 757 with lieflats - accepted. Got credit for a P fare with the mileage bonus.

Ridiculous to have a $99 offer for a 40 minute flight on a regional, and then only $79 ORD EWR on a lieFlat 757 with meal.

Upgrade list was a mile long, and I saw 1K in Y. I felt bad for the paultry amount I paid and was in 1A. As I gold, from seeing the upgrade standby list, I estimate I'd have been about 20 or so.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:18 am

Route: LAX - LHR
Original Fare bucket: H
Price offered: $684
Upgrade to BF
Where offered: 24 hr checkin
Accepted. 10hr 30 min flight transatlantic with my bad back? totally worth it for lie flat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.