Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 MileagePlus Elite Status Granted Even Though Short of PQM/PQS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mgcsinc
A note about getting your hopes up: 2013 status is valid through the end of January. The iPhone app is apparently showing people's current status as valid through 2015, which is a possible glitch. Unless you've gotten a clear notice from UA, or seen an affirmative increase in status beyond what you're entitled to, don't assume UA is doing you any special favors.
Print Wikipost

2014 MileagePlus Elite Status Granted Even Though Short of PQM/PQS?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Epilogue.

It's now February. I'm still 1k with a bunch of GPUs and RPUs in my account.

How did things turn out for everyone else?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, SPG
I'm on track to fall 299 EQM short of Gold. What are the chances UA will give me Gold despite me falling short by 299 EQM?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by LukeRB
I'm on track to fall 299 EQM short of Gold. What are the chances UA will give me Gold despite me falling short by 299 EQM?
Thread below...bolding mine

was very surprised to read about some of these successes. My wife has been a Premier Silver for several years. On Jan. 1, 2014, she had been credited with 49,876 miles for 2013. She was not awarded Gold status based on that mileage. Only after I filed a missing mileage request, causing the missing 500 miles from 12/23/13 to be credited, was she advanced to Gold.

In the past, United has often allowed a small difference from 50K miles for Gold, and I was very surprised that 49,876 did not qualify. I guess some other people have had a lot more luck...
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:24 pm

Does United give status if "close"

I'm Platinum now. Will be about 400 miles short of Gold by the end of the year if travel plans stay as they are now. Does United ever"give" the status if you're close?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Utahn
I'm Platinum now. Will be about 400 miles short of Gold by the end of the year if travel plans stay as they are now. Does United ever"give" the status if you're close?
This question is asked often. I think the best answer is that it happens, but it's rare and don't count on it.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Utahn
While they might give you Gold status, I think the general consensus around here is that it's not worth the risk and that you should buy PQM through the Elite Maximizer or SDCing to add a short flight to a future itin to cover the extra miles. Of course, this depends on how much you'll value Gold next year.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:31 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

So rare as to be non-existent!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
No offense intended, but hopefully not. Someone who has attained status according to the abundantly clear hurdles shouldn't have to compete for benefits with someone who hasn't.

There's a couple of ways to get the required PQMs - just pick one to earn your status like everyone else.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 28, 2014 at 2:51 pm
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I understand that not everyone is in a position to go on a mileage run, especially toward the end of the year, in order to push them over the line to the next elite level if they're close. But with Elite Maximizer, everyone has the opportunity of spending a relatively small amount to push themselves over, so I really don't see a good reason for UA to offer exceptions to the published rules for people that are close.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
why don't you SAME DAY CHANGE one of your existing trips to include an extra segment... then you will gain the PQM's you need at no charge, just a couple hours longer on another flight & layover.

i.e. if you have a trip from EWR-ORD... change it to EWR-IAD-ORD.

what the heck, do it a couple times to pad your PQM total in case you fall unexpectedly short at the end of the Year.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by JBord
This question is asked often. I think the best answer is that it happens, but it's rare and don't count on it.
ain't no free lunch on UA anymore!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
perhaps a judgement call, they'd look at your revenue contribution, historical revenue contribution, etc, and do it based off of that......
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:55 pm

As GOLD, I am a big fan of adding short layovers to the itineraries throughout the year and collecting the extra 500 PQM (obviously this strategy will be obsolete next year).
Example:
ORD->AUS (973 PQM) can be ORD->IAH->AUS (925+500 = 1425 PQM). Just earned an extra 904 PQMs on a RT itinerary.

Since you think you'll be ~400 miles short, just try something like this.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by integrinB4
As GOLD, I am a big fan of adding short layovers to the itineraries throughout the year and collecting the extra 500 PQM (obviously this strategy will be obsolete next year).
Example:
ORD->AUS (973 PQM) can be ORD->IAH->AUS (925+500 = 1425 PQM). Just earned an extra 904 PQMs on a RT itinerary.

Since you think you'll be ~400 miles short, just try something like this.
Why would this strategy be obsolete next year? How earning status isn't changing, only how you earn redeemable miles is changing.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by integrinB4
As GOLD, I am a big fan of adding short layovers to the itineraries throughout the year and collecting the extra 500 PQM (obviously this strategy will be obsolete next year)....
I've seen other posts like this that indicative of confusion over the new RDM scheme (confusing it somehow w/ earning status).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.