Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 MileagePlus Elite Status Granted Even Though Short of PQM/PQS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mgcsinc
A note about getting your hopes up: 2013 status is valid through the end of January. The iPhone app is apparently showing people's current status as valid through 2015, which is a possible glitch. Unless you've gotten a clear notice from UA, or seen an affirmative increase in status beyond what you're entitled to, don't assume UA is doing you any special favors.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier, National Executive Elite
I will be interested to see if I get a 1K bump this year, had 250+ segments the last two years (2011/2012) with about 130k PQMs but about 70k spend. This year was just 93 PQSs at 65k PQMs and 20k spend. I buy allot of Y/B Fares but the flights are usually 500 - 600 miles and 90% RJs. I am def a money maker for UA and usually don't even fly planes with a change of a CPU.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Looking forward to Feb 1 to see how this all shakes out
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriot Gold, HH Gold
I ended 2013 with 94K miles, and UA gave me 1K status for 2014. Awesome news!

Thanks United!!!!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fkatzRTW
I will be interested to see if I get a 1K bump this year, had 250+ segments the last two years (2011/2012) with about 130k PQMs but about 70k spend. This year was just 93 PQSs at 65k PQMs and 20k spend. I buy allot of Y/B Fares but the flights are usually 500 - 600 miles and 90% RJs. I am def a money maker for UA and usually don't even fly planes with a change of a CPU.
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. You were well short of the PQS's and PQM's and PQD's were not a factor for qualifying for 2014 and the $20K spend is no where near close for GS. So I would guess you will be Platinum on Feb 1st based on your PQS's. If you were a lot closer it might be a consideration based on past performance but as far away as you are I would not count on it.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fmarzigl

Thanks United!!!!
How do you know?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:27 pm

I received a package today from united today with my 1k cards. I noticed I was upgraded to Ik yesterday when looking up flights to BKK. I remember the mistake made last year regarding the mistaken upgrade to 1k. It was fixed after about a week.

In the package there was a letter saying that they realized I did not qualify for 1k status but were granting it to me anyways as a thank you for being a valued customer. Have to believe mine is real.

Finished the year with about 86,000PQM's. 40 segments. I'm guessing they did it for me due to $ spent. Without looking it all up I'm sure I spent over $40k. My RPU's posted quickly after hitting Platinum. I have yet to see the GPU's post for 1K status. I'll update if they do show.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
How do you know?
Suspect many will get a rude awakening on Feb 1st
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Quote:

Originally Posted by mgcsinc

How do you know?

I can confirm that the iPhone glitch a bug and most people most likely did not get bumped. My +1s status expires for sure in Jan but it shows until 2015... Watch the FTers hound UA to honor it in February lol . Id prefer less elites if possible next year though... UG list is crazy out of SFO
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SKYEG
I can confirm that the iPhone glitch a bug and most people most likely did not get bumped. My +1s status expires for sure in Jan but it shows until 2015... Watch the FTers hound UA to honor it in February lol . Id prefer less elites if possible next year though... UG list is crazy out of SFO
Just fits in with the 2012 status glitch and 2013 status glitch -- 3 years in a row!
We have all ask for more consistency from UA, just didn't have this kind of consistency in mind ........
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fmarzigl

Thanks United!!!!
Plan on being Platinum February 1 at the latest....
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by hangten2k
Was platinum last year but was about 7700 miles short this year. Checked this morning and I am platinum for this year!

ps Happy New Year everyone!
Status downgrades don't appear until February 1st so unless there's a confirming email about your status for the 2014/5 status year before that, you won't know for sure until next month. Since UA grants status upgrades (based on crossing an elite tier threshold) any higher status would have appeared last year when the threshold was passed.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So will a lot of posters to this thread who have misread the status change date.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 3, 2014 at 2:38 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Next year Feb 1 will be the real bloodbath when PQD thins the herd big time.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Izbbroke
I received a package today from united today with my 1k cards. I noticed I was upgraded to Ik yesterday when looking up flights to BKK. I remember the mistake made last year regarding the mistaken upgrade to 1k. It was fixed after about a week.

In the package there was a letter saying that they realized I did not qualify for 1k status but were granting it to me anyways as a thank you for being a valued customer. Have to believe mine is real.

Finished the year with about 86,000PQM's. 40 segments. I'm guessing they did it for me due to $ spent. Without looking it all up I'm sure I spent over $40k. My RPU's posted quickly after hitting Platinum. I have yet to see the GPU's post for 1K status. I'll update if they do show.
People I know with $40K spent were made GS. The fact that your PQM is low should be more favorable for UA to invite you to GS, because you gave them all the money but did not fly much.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
People I know with $40K spent were made GS. The fact that your PQM is low should be more favorable for UA to invite you to GS, because you gave them all the money but did not fly much.
That's a good point. I fly quite a bit. Most miles were earned Business to Moscow, 2 flights Business to China, and quite a few to Calgary from IAH. The Calgary flights I was 95% in first class due to last minute bookings. Other flights around the US but most are same or next day bookings. So yes I get raped on price.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
I received my 1K packet in the mail today. Does anyone know if people who have been bumped up to 1K get GPUs?

Last year i was bumped up from gold to plat and got 2 RPUs in mid-January even though I didn't hit 75k in 2012.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.