Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The pricing algorithm almost certainly does select a validating carrier, but as jsloan notes I would actually be surprised if this is disclosed before purchase on a website like Orbitz.

The validating carrier is almost always the marketing carrier of the most significant segment (the one which would determine MSC).
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
delete - I see OP is talking about buying a UA codeshare, which may get him UA stock
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
So it has been a real PITA when paying the fare difference from Y to F for the difference to reflect in PQD... this has happened twice to me in the last couple of weeks and has taken quite a lot of time to resolve on the phone with MP to get my PQD and all of my award miles to post. I don't know why this is so difficult.

It is going to happen to me again on Friday... we will see how it goes.

Is is a widespread issue? It must be, because I'm either doing this over the phone or the "change flights" tab on the reservation page....
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Is is a widespread issue? It must be, because I'm either doing this over the phone or the "change flights" tab on the reservation page....
UA has shifted more and more of its upgrades to TOD-style "sticker" offers that don't contribute to PQD. Even though the methods you're describing should be immune, it doesn't surprise me in the least to hear that you're having problems. For whatever reason, UA appears to assign a significant premium to purchasing J/F originally, rather than doing so after the fact via a buy-up.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Still showing PQDs despite foreign address

Does UA manually update status if foreign address and PQDs aren’t met?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anandrag
Does UA manually update status if foreign address and PQDs aren’t met?
you don’t need to worry about it. PQD isn’t relevant for status purposes if you have a non-US address.

However, it is still relevant since it’s the basis for mileage credit on any United flight or partner flight booked on 016 stock. So yeah, it still shows, no matter your address.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just noticed a possible PQD counting discrepancy.

I have a RT itinerary that's four flights total. The flight summary shows $1894 PDQ. The receipt shows that the airfare paid is $1894, and there are taxes to bring it up to about $2040. Down at the bottom of the receipt there's a table that gives PQD per flight and it adds up to $1575. I'm guessing this is some artifact of the way they assign PQD to segments piecewise when they're not priced and sold as individual segments (and nobody bothered to make sure the algorithm adds up to the actual total airfare). I checked in the Wiki and didn't see it - is this a known issue? I mostly fly non-stops and haven't noticed it before - will it all get sorted out at the end of the last flight? This is the first year since PQD started where most of my flights are booked more than a week out so they're not high priced - normally I have at least enough PQD for plat with just enough miles to get halfway from silver to gold.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
will it all get sorted out at the end of the last flight?
Almost certainly. If not, you can write in and get it corrected. There's actually an entire thread on this: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...itinerary.html
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I just noticed a possible PQD counting discrepancy.

I have a RT itinerary that's four flights total. The flight summary shows $1894 PDQ. The receipt shows that the airfare paid is $1894, and there are taxes to bring it up to about $2040. Down at the bottom of the receipt there's a table that gives PQD per flight and it adds up to $1575. I'm guessing this is some artifact of the way they assign PQD to segments piecewise when they're not priced and sold as individual segments (and nobody bothered to make sure the algorithm adds up to the actual total airfare). I checked in the Wiki and didn't see it - is this a known issue? I mostly fly non-stops and haven't noticed it before - will it all get sorted out at the end of the last flight? This is the first year since PQD started where most of my flights are booked more than a week out so they're not high priced - normally I have at least enough PQD for plat with just enough miles to get halfway from silver to gold.
if this is an international flight, there has been some history of YQ not being included in PQD calculation in advance, even though it does indeed count. This usually is correctly posted once the actual posts in your account.

Take note, but I wouldn’t worry about it. Truth is, there’s nothing really you can do beforehand anyway - if t posts wrong the deal with it then. IME, I’ve had some slightly off calculatons in e-receipts, sometimes it’s just not included, and other times, flights say it’s ineligible. They’ve always posted correctly, except on one IRROPS situation where a quick phone call led to a caorrection pretty efficiently. I know some like to discount UAs IT, but IME, UA has been pretty accurate with my account where it really matters - when the miles posted after the flight. YMMV, I suppose.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:39 pm

My wife was going to be $34 short of the Silver PQD requirement, so we bought a couple of shortleg E+ seats for her. Does the PQD post after the flight, or at the time of the purchase?

Also, what happens in IRROPs if she doesn't end up in E+ and the charge is refunded? Are the PQD removed in that case? I haven't been so close to a PQD threshold where one IRROPs mattered before.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by prometa
My wife was going to be $34 short of the Silver PQD requirement, so we bought a couple of shortleg E+ seats for her. Does the PQD post after the flight, or at the time of the purchase?

Also, what happens in IRROPs if she doesn't end up in E+ and the charge is refunded? Are the PQD removed in that case? I haven't been so close to a PQD threshold where one IRROPs mattered before.
It posts after the flight when the actual flight PQM/PQD posts. Sorry, I'm not sure about the IRROPS question for PQD. I think Original Routing Credit (ORC) requests might help, but perhaps someone more sure can chime in. But that might have more to do with mileage, not PQD.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by eeflyer
It posts after the flight when the actual flight PQM/PQD posts. Sorry, I'm not sure about the IRROPS question for PQD. I think Original Routing Credit (ORC) requests might help, but perhaps someone more sure can chime in. But that might have more to do with mileage, not PQD.
thanks. I should say the flight that will push her over the threshold (including e+) is 12/28, so if ORC wouldn’t apply, we’d have no time to book E+ or another flight.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
UA PQD's credited when purchased or flown?

I was wondering do PQD's credit to your account when purchased or flown. I'm done for this year and well over the threshold but just booked a bunch of travel for the new year and was wondering if this will be credited for this year when I don't need it or for next year. If for this year what is to stop somebody who is short from purchasing a refundable ticket for next year then canceling after re-qualifying?

Last edited by n9536j; Dec 24, 2018 at 11:46 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by n9536j
I was wondering do PQD's credit to your account when purchased or flown. I'm done for this year and well over the threshold but just booked a bunch of travel for the new year and was wondering if this will be credited for this year when I don't need it or for next year. If for this year what is to stop somebody who is short from purchasing a refundable ticket for next year then canceling after re-qualifying?
It's when flown.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:22 pm

when does the PQD waiver from chase reset?
my Mother is $600 PQD short and chase waiver is showing i need to spend another 3k which is no problem i just want to know when will it post on UAs end?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.