Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by llbad
Serious question: what is the purpose of the PQD requirement? Is PQD really the limiting factor for anyone's status requirement? I just hit silver in segments (and almost miles), but I am already just $400 short of the gold PQD requirement.
Yes, it limits many. Short stage lengths (such that you qualify on segments) are very expensive by comparison, hence your experience. If you instead went to HKG for $398 r/t you could be getting nearly 14,000 PQM for 300 PQD, which would give a very different picture.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Serious question: what is the purpose of the PQD requirement? Is PQD really the limiting factor for anyone's status requirement?
I think that there are a lot of people whose re-qualifications are hinging on amassing enough PQD. And I've heard of people who may not make it at all on account of the PQD requirement.

As for me, I project to re-qualify pretty easily based on PQD; I'll need to figure out some way to pick up another ~12K PQM. About half my PQMs and PQDs come from TATLs.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
BTW, what is UA's reasoning to waive PQD requirements for non-USA addresses?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 31, 2019 at 11:40 am Reason: split post
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by narvik
Congrats! ^

BTW, what is UA's reasoning to waive PQD requirements for non-USA addresses?
i was told by a non reliable source that it was because without a SIN we can’t apply for the credit cards so to even the field they made pqd requirement zero for foreigners

might be BS but sounded good
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
i was told by a non reliable source that it was because without a SIN we can’t apply for the credit cards so to even the field they made pqd requirement zero for foreigners

might be BS but sounded good
Common story but does not work for 1K, where there is no credit card waiver but there is still a non-USA address waiver.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 1:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Serious question: what is the purpose of the PQD requirement? Is PQD really the limiting factor for anyone's status requirement?
It's quite easy to reach 100,000 PQM on less than half of the $15k PQD required for 1K (some do it for as little or $2 or $3k). So, yes, the PQD requirement is for many a major limiting factor.
restlessinRNO and jjmoore like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Serious question: what is the purpose of the PQD requirement? Is PQD really the limiting factor for anyone's status requirement? I just hit silver in segments (and almost miles), but I am already just $400 short of the gold PQD requirement.
Purpose? Spend $ with UA.

Limiting factor? Depends on whether the spend is your own money or other people's money
jjmoore likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm at 70K PQM and $7K PQD. Yes, it is definitely a limiting factor; doubly so if you fly partner airlines on tickets you buy directly from them. Those tickets accrue PQM but no PQD.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I am at OQM of $118,000 and PQD of $11,000. I am doing a PQD run in November to make 1K for the $1,000 I need to qualify as 1K.

Did not think I was going to make 1K for 2020 but as I was only going to be short $1,000 decided to splurge. Not certain I will do the same for 2021 - will depend on my GPU success rate. So far 6/9 with 3 applied for flights in November....we'll see.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am at OQM of $118,000 and PQD of $11,000. I am doing a PQD run in November to make 1K for the $1,000 I need to qualify as 1K.

Did not think I was going to make 1K for 2020 but as I was only going to be short $1,000 decided to splurge. Not certain I will do the same for 2021 - will depend on my GPU success rate. So far 6/9 with 3 applied for flights in November....we'll see.
PQD requirement was raised, wasn’t it? I thought it’s $15,000 now, no longer $12K.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe

PQD requirement was raised, wasn’t it? I thought it’s $15,000 now, no longer $12K.
Yes those stats are my current stats to show you can exceed PQM of 100,000 but be no where close on PQD. I was forecast to end year with PQD of $14,000 hence the PQD run of $1,000. Will end with PQM of 140,000.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's quite easy to reach 100,000 PQM on less than half of the $15k PQD required for 1K (some do it for as little or $2 or $3k). So, yes, the PQD requirement is for many a major limiting factor.
With all the $400 r.t. fares I'm seeing for TPAC routes these days, it is very much conceivable to see someone reach 100,000 PQM with $3000 in spend. I did that several years ago when tickets were as cheap as they are today.

As a data point for this year, I am tracking towards around 150,000 PQM and $15,000 PQD total for the year (far far away from a GS renewal). Mostly S, W, V fare classes on domestic routes, with one cheap TPAC in there on K fares.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Did not think I was going to make 1K for 2020 but as I was only going to be short $1,000 decided to splurge. Not certain I will do the same for 2021 - will depend on my GPU success rate.
I have no idea how things will play out for those of who manage to re-qualify for 1K next year. I can't imagine that it would be relatively worse ... but my guess is that most of us who get there won't notice a big difference.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:45 am

I know E+ seat purchases are supposed to earn PQD. Is that true for award tickets (XN) as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.