Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by chavala
Thanks! I was able to pull it up, but mine doesn't seem to be broken down by segment like yours?
/FC 05MAR15DFW UA X/SFO UA X/HKG CX BKK Q5.80 760.00WLX03UMJ UA
X/TYO UA X/SFO UA DFW840.00VLX03UMJ NUC1605.80END

ROE1.00 XT5.50YC7.00XY5.00XA35.40US11.20AY21.50TS4.40OI8.9 0SW440.00YQ16.50YR13.50XF DFW4.5SFO4.5SFO4.5

Oh, the CX segment got fared with DFW-BKK because of a code share. In that case there's no way of knowing, only guessing. I would plan on getting smiseked though, especially considering that they'll probably split the YQ as well.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
I had an 016 ticket with flights on UA, LH and AI from early February. Airfare of $11,518 and taxes/fees of $1,062. But my PQD for all of the flight segments only totals $7,448. Each segment has an amount listed as PQD in my MileagePlus activity, but quite short of the actual airfare.

I called the 1K line twice, one agent attributed it to the computer system yesterday and another said there were likely other fees reducing the PQD. Does this make sense to anyone? I am thinking I should have PQD from this flight of $11,518? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by happytobeme
Does this make sense to anyone? I am thinking I should have PQD from this flight of $11,518? Thanks in advance for your help.
You should get PQDs of airfare plus international surcharge (YQ), so no that doesn't sound right.

Getting PQDs properly credited from partner flights has been a persistent problem. Perhaps you will do better with an e-mail to 1K voice.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:46 pm

PQD's on cancelled/skipped flights?

Do non-refundable tickets purchased but then later cancelled (or just skipped) count towards PDQ spend?

Seems like they should since United has already collected the cash, right?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
intentionally skipped segments earn absolutely zero of PQM PQS PQD RDM
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
No. One must fly to get PQMs, and hence PQDs, credited.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Since cancelled non-ref tickets are not worthless, UA can't give credit for the unflow segment. If they did, you could then double-dip by using the ticket later.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:52 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I am coming in right around 12-13cpm... and that includes several paid F trips, two TPACs in W (so several hundred $$ more each than the lowest-available fare), and a couple of discount economy ticket midcons. Given the amount of paid premium travel I've booked or flown so far, I'm still amazed that my CPM is so low, relatively-speaking. In the past, I've flown all discount Y and been in the 11-12cpm range... just goes to show how aggressively UA has been pricing discounted domestic F fares! (It also shows the impact of taxes & fees, as my prior 11-12cpm rate was "all in" for 1K for a given year; my actual spend is probably more like 15-16cpm so far this year.)

FWIW, my posted trips already have me halfway to 1K both for PQM and PQD, so I can "take it easy" a bit this summer unless UA runs some crazy Europe paid C sale again.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by exerda
I am coming in right around 12-13cpm... and that includes several paid F trips, two TPACs in W (so several hundred $$ more each than the lowest-available fare), and a couple of discount economy ticket midcons. Given the amount of paid premium travel I've booked or flown so far, I'm still amazed that my CPM is so low, relatively-speaking. In the past, I've flown all discount Y and been in the 11-12cpm range... just goes to show how aggressively UA has been pricing discounted domestic F fares! (It also shows the impact of taxes & fees, as my prior 11-12cpm rate was "all in" for 1K for a given year; my actual spend is probably more like 15-16cpm so far this year.)

FWIW, my posted trips already have me halfway to 1K both for PQM and PQD, so I can "take it easy" a bit this summer unless UA runs some crazy Europe paid C sale again.
Are you basing the cpm on the revenue-based earn? So someone who isn't a 1K would have much higher cpm for the same tickets?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Getting more PQDs than deserved

... ...

Last edited by CaptainMiles; Mar 20, 2015 at 6:28 pm
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:23 pm

190,000 Yen ticket sold by United.com, how much USD PQD do I earn? (91 Yen to 1 USD?)

if I buy a 190,000 Yen ticket on United.com, how much USD PQD do I earn?
(016 ticket stock, all travel on UA metal) Ticket sold to me in Yen because
credit card billing address and MP acct address are in Japan.

what exchange rate does United use to convert the 190,000 Yen to USD PQD?

Yes, I know PQD does not apply to those of us with foreign addresses, but it
is still listed on my account. For reasons beyond my comprehension, the
190,000 Yen ticket showed up a only USD$2087 under PQD. How is that
even possible? They are basing it off 91 Yen to 1 USD? That's awfully low,
isn't it? I believe the current exchange rate is more like 120 to 1.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
I think the e-ticket shows "USD-equivalent" using the exchange rate at time of ticketing. I presume all RDM/PQD are calculated based on that number, not the exchange rate at time of flight

but there are known issues regarding the new calculated pop-up display, so I wouldn't worry too much for now.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by AppleApe
if I buy a 190,000 Yen ticket on United.com, how much USD PQD do I earn?
(016 ticket stock, all travel on UA metal) Ticket sold to me in Yen because
credit card billing address and MP acct address are in Japan.

what exchange rate does United use to convert the 190,000 Yen to USD PQD?

Yes, I know PQD does not apply to those of us with foreign addresses, but it
is still listed on my account. For reasons beyond my comprehension, the
190,000 Yen ticket showed up a only USD$2087 under PQD. How is that
even possible? They are basing it off 91 Yen to 1 USD? That's awfully low,
isn't it? I believe the current exchange rate is more like 120 to 1.
Well the PQD figure won't include taxes and fees, so that may be the reason the amount seems low to you. Also even if you are exempt from the PQD condition for elite qualification, they will still supply you with the PQD information. Edit: according to the conversion app on my laptop, 190,000 yen is converted to $1581.00
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Why are you upset by this? At 120:1 / current exchange rates the ticket should only be $1580 - UA is giving you an inflated PQD by using an exchange rate that overvalued the Yen
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Why are you upset by this? At 120:1 / current exchange rates the ticket should only be $1580 - UA is giving you an inflated PQD by using an exchange rate that overvalued the Yen
See my post above. I think the OP must have failed math class!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.