Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by SGJazz
Pretty damn quick or PDQ Bach (google it)

The PQDs don't seem to be pretty damn quick, lol
Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
moved

Last edited by eng3; Feb 13, 2014 at 6:53 am
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
United/US Airways PQD

I booked two tickets through United for US Airways flights. I purposely booked through United to get the 016 ticket stock and to qualify for PQD.

US Airways cancelled the first leg out of LAX. I called US Airways since they were the operating carrier and we got rebooked out of SAN.

Now of course the new ticket was issued on 037 stock.

Miles posted but no PQD's.

I sent Mileage Plus an email and asked for the PQD's for those flights, and of course they say, no. We can not issue PQD's on non United tickets.

Should I have contacted United when US Airways cancelled the flight? I always thought that you had to call the operating carrier to get rebooked?

I sent Mileage Plus another email, requesting a review.

Has this happened to anyone before, what was the outcome?

As always, I appreciate any inputs...
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by stefan76
I booked two tickets through United for US Airways flights. I purposely booked through United to get the 016 ticket stock and to qualify for PQD.

US Airways cancelled the first leg out of LAX. I called US Airways since they were the operating carrier and we got rebooked out of SAN.

Now of course the new ticket was issued on 037 stock.

Miles posted but no PQD's.

I sent Mileage Plus an email and asked for the PQD's for those flights, and of course they say, no. We can not issue PQD's on non United tickets.

Should I have contacted United when US Airways cancelled the flight? I always thought that you had to call the operating carrier to get rebooked?

I sent Mileage Plus another email, requesting a review.

Has this happened to anyone before, what was the outcome?

As always, I appreciate any inputs...
yes, you should have contacted United if you wanted to keep your 016 ticket. US Airways cannot reissue United tickets; they can only issue 037 US Air tickets.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
don't quite understand. You screwed up and now you are asking UA to pick up the pieces? Of course USAir cannot issue 016 tickets and why would you not first call the ticketing carrier (unless it's an irop at the airport and time is at a premium)? Don't think UA will be able to resolve this.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:52 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
IMHO you should still be able to get the PQD, due to this having been irrops. It shouldn't matter that US handled the irrops and reissued the ticket; it just means UA has to do more of the work behind the scenes manually to get the PQD to you.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:33 pm

Thank you for all the responses.

I guess I should have contacted United first, but I figured I call the operating carrier, since this was part of a trip to Europe, (2 separate tickets). We had to get to New York at a certain time, and I did not want to go back and forth between the 2 airlines.

I would have thought that United can still issue the PQD credit since the ticket was bought initially on 016 stock and yes I do understand that US Airways issued a new ticket under their stock.

You live and learn....
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:57 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stefan76
I would have thought that United can still issue the PQD credit since the ticket was bought initially on 016 stock and yes I do understand that US Airways issued a new ticket under their stock.
UA can definitely still issue the PQD. Ask for Original Routing Credit. Cite the fact that US Airways cancelled your original flight and reaccommodated you on a different flight. Provide the original itin & receipt, plus your BPs from the flown itin. You should be able to get it.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
For what it's worth -- and I don't know if this is significant, but in early January I was booked CLE-SFO-PHX. CLE-SFO cancelled (maintenance issue after boarding). Was rebooked CLE-ORD-PHX.

Sent email about ORC. Original email went unanswered until yesterday. (A followup email a week later got a "the miles already credited" followed by a "the request has been submitted; wait 30 days and it will be fixed")

Anyway, yesterday, the original email was finally replied to and the miles and PQDs for the flown segments disappeared and about 12 hours later the ORC miles/PQDs appeared.

What struck me as interesting, though, is I somehow picked up about $220 extra PQDs. Where the flown outbound+return PQD was within a couple $ of the pre-tax airfare ($1619 PQD vs. $1616.74 pre-tax airfare), but with the ORC, the total PQD is credited $1841.

Not huge at all but I'm curious where the values associated with the ORC segments came from.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
UA can definitely still issue the PQD. Ask for Original Routing Credit. Cite the fact that US Airways cancelled your original flight and reaccommodated you on a different flight. Provide the original itin & receipt, plus your BPs from the flown itin. You should be able to get it.
Just wanted to let you know that I got another email from Mileage Plus asking me to submit, original booking, boarding passes and new itinerary.

I will post once I received the PQD.^
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:24 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
I'm wondering how PQDs will work with travel booked through the Bank of America Travel Center. They are offering the same rate as through United.com/Expedia/etc but I get extra CC rewards points for using BofA's interface. If booking through BofA will result in no PQDs though I won't bother. FWIW, it looks like BofA Travel Center is powered by a company called "Online Reward Exchange Enterprise". Any experiences here?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:09 am
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
The PQDs don't seem to be pretty damn quick, lol
I hear ya. I flew AUS-LAX-SYD and the AUS-LAX leg posted a few days later, but the LAX-SYD has been listed as "processing" for 9 days. Pretty sad.

I have had 3 intra-Australia flights on Qantas (booked on AA.com) since arriving and all 3 have posted to my AAdvantage account within 1 day of flying.

BTW, the domestic Qantas Club in Adelaide is simply sublime. The UC could learn a thing or two from this wonderful airport lounge.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: Hilton D, UA 1MM LT 1K-, LT UAClub, DL MS, DL 1MM, Former LT PClub, CO Infinite Elite
I have looked and failed to find...

I book a nonrefundable fare for myself. Unfortunate circumstances arise and I cannot take the flight and my fare is not refunded. Will that money count towards the PQD.

Similarly, I do not recall seeing change fees and such. If a change fee is imposed and I take the flight, will the change fee be added to my pqd?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread [2014]

PQD post along with RDM/PQM after you take a flight. So of you don't take a flight, no mileage or PQD post. So if you simply no show, you won't be able to use the value of the existing ticket for a new one and also won't get PQD.

Change fees do not count - only fare and international (fuel) surcharge (and any E+ purchases). If you cancel your flight before scheduled departure, you will be able to use the value of the existing ticket toward a new one. At the time you reschedule your flights, you will have to pay the change fee and be given the entire value of the old ticket to use. Assuming the new ticket is the same price, that same fare (+ international surcharge amount, if applicable) will count for PQD and will be posted at the same time as mileage (roughly) once you complete the new flights.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: Hilton D, UA 1MM LT 1K-, LT UAClub, DL MS, DL 1MM, Former LT PClub, CO Infinite Elite
emcampbe, thanks. So, really, it is not a $10,000 spend for 1K, it is an average 10 cents per mile traveled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.