Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:21 am

No: bought on line (united.com).
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Data point:

Change fee for a return flight. Received PQD. Made the change hours before flight.

Also, my two flights this month have given me 90% PQD/fare paid. I can live with that percentage. I guess I'll be spending 11k with UA this year
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:46 am

I've got one segment which shows 'Processing' The outbound segment on the same ticket posted with no issues and the fare on both segments (nonstop round trip, UA ticket, UA metal) is the same. Miles posted correctly. Both segments were instant upgrades but the return had an SDC as well.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
How would purchasing thorough a travel agent matter?

Originally Posted by GoDucks
I've got one segment which shows 'Processing' The outbound segment on the same ticket posted with no issues and the fare on both segments (nonstop round trip, UA ticket, UA metal) is the same. Miles posted correctly. Both segments were instant upgrades but the return had an SDC as well.
Oh nice, so a garden variety SDC is gonna cause problems now.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
After a couple of tickets for 2014, I realized what a big impact the PQD will have on my status.
Example 1- Roundtrip DCA to PDX - 6022 miles
Fare - $494.50
Base fare - $420.47
PDQ - $420.47

I kept thinking needed PDQ is 10% of miles, but for this trip I earned only 7%.

Example 2 - Roundtrip DCA to New Orleans on US - 1968 miles
PDX = $0.00

For this trip it is 0%.

So, for 7990 PQM, I have $420.47, or 5.3% - only about 1/2 of what I had previously figured. Of course, after March there will be no US flights, but still, it could have a much bigger impact than I figured.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by mmthomps
We recently flew to Europe. Our flights from MAD to FRA and from FRA to IAD were on Lufthansa, S class, but the entire round trip ticket was issued by United (016 ticket number). The PQMs just posted, but no PQDs: in that column, it just says "ineligible."

I've read all the guidelines on united.com, and so far as I can tell, these flights should be eligible for PQDs. Any help?
I had a similar situation (016 stock, United.com, and V class) and e-mailed 1KVoice when I saw the flight was marked "ineligible". They assured me that my LH flight was eligible and that my statement would be corrected in 7 to 10 days. (That was two days ago, so I am still waiting for it to be corrected.)

It sounds like in this situation it's best to call/write about it.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Possibility of it being booked as a "bulk" fare...which earns zero PQD.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:24 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Trying to make heads or tails of this from a ticket goalie-sis purchased.

Purchased on .sux so "016" and split itin over 2013-2014 and routed as IAD-LHR-DUS on 12/24/13 and DUS-FRA-IAD on 1/8/14

PQD's for the UA flight FRA-IAD posted as $502 within a few days of travel (1/8/14) and the remaining PQD's of $36 for the LH flight DUS-FRA posted this morning for a net of $538. I know that the $502 was 1/2 of the base fare and 1/2 of the YQ for the UA portion as it was split over 2013-2014 but I can't figure out how the $36 is calculated

Fare Breakdown
Airfare: 488.00USD
U.S. Customs User Fee: 5.50
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 7.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 5.00
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 34.40
September 11th Security Fee: 2.50
U.K. Passenger Service Charge: 34.90
Germany Airport Security Charge: 14.60
Germany Air Transportation Tax: 57.30
Germany Passenger Service Charge: 27.00
Germany Passenger Service Charge: 22.60
International Surcharge: 516.00
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 4.50
Per Person Total: 1,219.30USD
eTicket Total: 1,219.30USD

The airfare you paid on this itinerary totals: 488.00 USD
The taxes, fees, and surcharges paid total: 731.30 USD
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by mgcsinc

Oh nice, so a garden variety SDC is gonna cause problems now.
I'll throw out a contra-example: I did a garden variety SDC on Friday and the PQDs posted fine.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Got email from UA today stating MP made a mistake a will credit me the correct PDQ for the flight. Well It appears there can be mistakes in systems after all. Looks like I will have to keep n top of this for 50 more weeks.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS Emerald; UA 1MM; Hilton Gold; Marriott Platinum
PQD (premier Qualifying $) question

I am wanting to go from USA to Singapore - as there are some good r/t fares to Singapore. However I then want to go r/t to BNE and use *A partner SQ - my question is can I get UA to write the SQ ticket - as only 016 tickets count toward PQD?
Also if I upgrade using $ & miles is the $ portion eligible for PQD?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lhiltz
can I get UA to write the SQ ticket - as only 016 tickets count toward PQD?
If your first segment is UA, there's no problem. If your entire itinerary is on SQ, there are a few possibilities.
  1. Find a UA codeshare for that flight and book on united.com.
  2. Book over the phone.
  3. Use a travel agent.

Originally Posted by lhiltz
Also if I upgrade using $ & miles is the $ portion eligible for PQD?
No.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS Emerald; UA 1MM; Hilton Gold; Marriott Platinum
Many thanks for the information - bummer about the $ & miles though...
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Trying to make heads or tails of this from a ticket goalie-sis purchased.

Purchased on .sux so "016" and split itin over 2013-2014 and routed as IAD-LHR-DUS on 12/24/13 and DUS-FRA-IAD on 1/8/14

PQD's for the UA flight FRA-IAD posted as $502 within a few days of travel (1/8/14) and the remaining PQD's of $36 for the LH flight DUS-FRA posted this morning for a net of $538. I know that the $502 was 1/2 of the base fare and 1/2 of the YQ for the UA portion as it was split over 2013-2014 but I can't figure out how the $36 is calculated
What was the fare breakdown for each of your fare components? Was the IAD-DUS fare the same as DUS-IAD?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Effect of Mid-Year Address Change

As someone who is likely moving from the U.S. to Canada this year (Spring), and who will likely requal for 1k in 2014 by PQM but possibly not PQD, I asked United via 1kvoice how it would determine address for purposes of PQD waiver.

The crux of the reply:

United will re-evaluate accounts through out the year and will determine if the account qualifies for the PQD waiver.

FWIW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.