Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by keloutwest
Quote:

My activity statement for recent flights shows either "ineligible" or "processing" for PQDs.

Has anyone else gotten "processing" for a UA metal flight? This particular flight was due to a MX...

Anyone have an answer? 2 weeks later and still "processing".
Nope. All segments this year have posted in a timely fashion with PQD included. All standard fare tix purchased thru united.com
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Dramatic much? The rules for a majority of flyers is really simple. But FT delves deep into arcaneness. Not sure what the Z issue is..
Get humor much?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
Can you give more details? Did you get audited?
As an example they will check and see if your flights are ORIGINATING in the country you live in

My address is in Dubai and I actually do live here. But I also have a US address and I've changed them back & fourth. I NEVER fly UA out of DXB so if I could not PROVE I lived here I would not take the chance of switching to a Dubai address. (But since I've used my Dubai address before w UA & I have bank account, lease, car, driver lisc, etc PROVING I live here, UA can audit me if they like. But if you can't show them these things above PROVING you don't live in the US, I would not even try it
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Nope. All segments this year have posted in a timely fashion with PQD included. All standard fare tix purchased thru united.com
Same here. 8 (domestic) flights between January 2 and January 10. Despite *EVERY* *SINGLE* *ONE* involving some kind of irops/United customer service failure (Hydraulic system failure/emergency landing, cancellation-days in advance, cancellation-day of, maintenance after boarding, maintenance before boarding, cargo "issues") all of my PQDs ($1997 thus far) have posted promptly.

The total PQD for each itinerary is actually slightly higher than my calculations (I'm guessing they're taking per segment pre-tax and rounding up to the next whole dollar but even that doesn't quite work out), but the per-segment breakdown also has a bit of voodoo in there that I'm not quite sure I understand.

All of my travel is purchased at United.com and all of my business travel is purchased "Y" or "B" inventory if that makes a difference. I have a leisure trip to London in March and I'm quite unsure of what exactly I should be expecting from that one.

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Jan 18, 2014 at 10:22 am
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I have a leisure trip to London in March and I'm quite unsure of what exactly I should be expecting from that one.
Don't expect much. I just bought a O/W LHR-CDG in C class. The "airfare" in the ticket is 249.00 and the taxes/fees are 511.00
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Don't expect much. I just bought a O/W LHR-CDG in C class. The "airfare" in the ticket is 249.00 and the taxes/fees are 511.00
Fortunately (from the perspective of PQD), "taxes/fees" includes YQ (often listed as "international surcharge") which counts towards PQD.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Does anyone know if Travelbank credits count towards PQD?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by raehl311
Does anyone know if Travelbank credits count towards PQD?
Previous reports upthread say yes.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by o mikros
Previous reports upthread say yes.
And I can confirm this as well, as it doesn't reduce the base fare.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Quote:

Can you give more details? Did you get audited?

As an example they will check and see if your flights are ORIGINATING in the country you live in

My address is in Dubai and I actually do live here. But I also have a US address and I've changed them back & fourth. I NEVER fly UA out of DXB so if I could not PROVE I lived here I would not take the chance of switching to a Dubai address. (But since I've used my Dubai address before w UA & I have bank account, lease, car, driver lisc, etc PROVING I live here, UA can audit me if they like. But if you can't show them these things above PROVING you don't live in the US, I would not even try it
But do you have examples of them doing any of this to anyone?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
My activity statement for recent flights shows either "ineligible" or "processing" for PQDs.

Has anyone else gotten "processing" for a UA metal flight? This particular flight was due to a MX situation on another airline, and I was protected on UA. So in that case would I get any PQDs for the amount of the ticket price paid to UA by the other airline?
I was credited 488 miles only on IAD-YUL (United Express). Nothing else and it was marked ineligible. Sent email to 1K desk, told me an error because of upgrade. (of course 1 cabin flight- no upgrading)
Bottom line is they did correct to min 500 plus bonuses, etc. Took 3 days.
You need to call them or miss out.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
But do you have examples of them doing any of this to anyone?
I don't think anyone has specific examples of being audited for a home address at this point. Or that they have/will look to see where you are departing from often and cross check that with the address on file.

However, the MP terms and conditions most certainly do allow them to do whatever they want, including terminating an MP account, should a member provide them with fraudulent information. I suspect listing an address in a country you don't live in/have any proof of attachment to, particularly to avoid PQD, would be a place where they aren't hesitant to use this power. Airlines in general are not afraid to audit accounts where suspicious activity is occurring.

I believe there is something in the PMCO board (or maybe linking back to it in the initial PQD announcement thread) about CO auditing for members with international addresses back in the time when they gave Presidents Club membership for free to international OP elites. I'm sure someone here more knowledgable on that can probably provide further details.

Getting your elite card, etc. might be slightly to very difficult if you give them an address that you generally aren't at, depending on the situation. But more than that, if you are ok risking any status you have as well as having all mileage earned taken back etc., then go ahead and give them an address you have no proof of. Just remember you are doing so at your own risk.

I know it wouldn't be worth it to me to try this.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Anyone have an answer? 2 weeks later and still "processing".
I have a RT on 1/7-1/8, where PQM's and PQS have posted, but PQD still says "processing". I have not called to ask about this yet, but it does seem to be more than just an isolated incident.

I did have flights cancelled and auto-rebooked on this trip due to the crew rest and scheduling system issues. Not sure if that's related as the PQD shouldn't have changed.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:52 am

"Ineligible" for PQDs on Lufthansa on 016 Ticket?

We recently flew to Europe. Our flights from MAD to FRA and from FRA to IAD were on Lufthansa, S class, but the entire round trip ticket was issued by United (016 ticket number). The PQMs just posted, but no PQDs: in that column, it just says "ineligible."

I've read all the guidelines on united.com, and so far as I can tell, these flights should be eligible for PQDs. Any help?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mmthomps
We recently flew to Europe. Our flights from MAD to FRA and from FRA to IAD were on Lufthansa, S class, but the entire round trip ticket was issued by United (016 ticket number). The PQMs just posted, but no PQDs: in that column, it just says "ineligible."

I've read all the guidelines on united.com, and so far as I can tell, these flights should be eligible for PQDs. Any help?
Did you buy them from a travel agent/service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.