Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by GregMM
To get dinner, your flight must be scheduled for departure before 7:15 PM.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
incorrect as an universal rule as the previous example shows.
I could have sworn that it showed snack.

That's the rule that was given to me for flights in the range that includes IAH to BOS, must be different for some longer flights.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by GregMM
That's the rule that was given to me for flights in the range that includes IAH to BOS, must be different for some longer flights.
With United (though not exclusively), "rules" are often just rough guidelines.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Silver
Useless "Best Available Economy Plus"

Originally Posted by Brattflyer
Haven't heard of this before, but that doesn't mean anything. In looking at my seat map before booking a recent flight, I saw a group of seats in E+ with an orange outline around the blue square. These seats were labeled as "Best Available Economy Plus". Is this a new thing? Does UA charge more for these seats? They were in bulkhead and I would never sit there by choice. What's up?
I just saw this, too. Some (most actually) seats indicated "Best Available Economy Plus" are not the best by a couple measures (e.g., they had occupied neighboring seats when others did not in E+, no floor storage/bulkhead (admittedly more subjective), etc.). It seems like a useless feature. Anyone who is concerned with optimizing seat selection would consult seatguru or another source that clearly outlines what makes it a better or worse seat option.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:10 pm

First Class MileagePlus Ticket

I was wondering my rights in this situation.
On March 8th, I used miles to book a round trip ticket from Newark to Turks and Caicos for April 7th. I was charged 60,000 from my account.

When I arrived to the airport, I was paged to the check-in counter. I was told that there was an equipment change, and that my seat was moved to coach. They handed me a ticket, with a $250 voucher, but I said, I would hope that I could be put back in First class if there was a no-show. After waiting, I noticed that the monitor showed that 5 people were upgraded to first class after check in.

I am not happy, and feel that it wasn't right for them to down grade me, and then put other people that weren't originally told they were in first class a head of me.

Also, I was charged miles for a first class seat, and I feel that I should get at least the difference back.

Any thoughts, or insight would be helpful.
-Dave Williams
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ajklink
I just saw this, too. Some (most actually) seats indicated "Best Available Economy Plus" are not the best by a couple measures (e.g., they had occupied neighboring seats when others did not in E+, no floor storage/bulkhead (admittedly more subjective), etc.).
Since occupancy of adjacent seats can always change, I'm not surprised that UA doesn't rank it as a factor. Plus, anyone who cares can see for themselves which adjacent seats are or aren't occupied.

Anyone who is concerned with optimizing seat selection would consult seatguru or another source that clearly outlines what makes it a better or worse seat option.
I think you are mistaken in your assumptions about what other people do. Of course, if that's true, then this marking will have no effect and make no difference to anyone.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:11 pm

round trip vs one way airfares

hi all,

just wondering if more experienced flyers have any insight on this:

i am looking to book a ticket between ORD and GRU. on united.com a one-way direct flight from ORD to GRU on Aug 6 would cost $2,715 on the M fare.

but a round-trip search for ORD->GRU on Aug 6 and return on Aug. 17 would only cost $1450 on the L fare.

so why is the lower L fare not showing up when i search for one-way?

(just in case you are curious, i am using miles to book the one-way as an open jaw...)

thanks,
Ian
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by qcdthemouse
i am looking to book a ticket between ORD and GRU. on united.com a one-way direct flight from ORD to GRU on Aug 6 would cost $2,715 on the M fare.

but a round-trip search for ORD->GRU on Aug 6 and return on Aug. 17 would only cost $1450 on the L fare.

so why is the lower L fare not showing up when i search for one-way?...
Each fare, besides having a price, also has fare rules. It is not uncommon for discount international economy fares to require a RT purchase, hence when you search OW, the fare does not show.

So the real question is why does discount international economy fares require a RT? Not sure I really know the reason but suspect the airlines believe those looking for OW fares might those that are trying to avoid max stay requirements or cherry picking fares or ..... some other reasons that don't fit the airlines pricing model. They are limiting the flexibility to have access to the discount international economy fares to increase their revenue. There is probably a better reason but this limitation is common.

One method for minimizing this impact is to buy the RT and discard the return. This is against the airline rules but they are unlikely to enforce this on the occasional violator.

This also puts the hurt on the blogger's so-called free one-way awards. You got pay for the return and pay the RT price.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:34 pm

IAH-PEK: why wouldn't lower fare bucket show?

hi all,

i am looking at IAH-PEK, which is served by Air China. on united.com when i asked for direct flights IAH-> PEK on June 15 and return on July 24, it gives a full Y fare of $6,009, while the expert mode shows the less expensive H9, Q9 and V9. my question is why wouldn't these lower fare buckets show up in the search?

thanks in advance!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:37 pm
Suspended

i am looking at IAH-PEK, which is served by Air China. on united.com when i asked for direct flights IAH-> PEK on June 15 and return on July 24, it gives a full Y fare of $6,009, while the expert mode shows the less expensive H9, Q9 and V9. my question is why wouldn't these lower fare buckets show up in the search?
Same reason as given above, those fares have restrictions that you are not meeting, e.g., they might require round-trip travel. It's also possible for fare buckets to show up in Expert Mode that are impossible to qualify for, e.g., there might be a fare bucket that requires 21-day advance purchase that shows up as having availability even though it's less than 21 days before departure. The fare bucket is technically open but no one can buy it because the restrictions can't be met.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... I am looking at IAH-PEK, which is served by Air China. on united.com when i asked for direct flights IAH-> PEK on June 15 and return on July 24, it gives a full Y fare of $6,009, while the expert mode shows the less expensive H9, Q9 and V9. my question is why wouldn't these lower fare buckets show up in the search?

thanks in advance!
Again this is about fare rules -- for some reason you are not meeting the fare rules of the lower fares. You will need to pull the fare rules and read them to find out why.

You can find the detail rules at http://www.farecompare.com/products/.

Originally Posted by williamsnursery
On March 8th, I used miles to book a round trip ticket from Newark to Turks and Caicos for April 7th. I was charged 60,000 from my account.

When I arrived to the airport, I was paged to the check-in counter. I was told that there was an equipment change, and that my seat was moved to coach. They handed me a ticket, with a $250 voucher, but I said, I would hope that I could be put back in First class if there was a no-show. After waiting, I noticed that the monitor showed that 5 people were upgraded to first class after check in.

I am not happy, and feel that it wasn't right for them to down grade me, and then put other people that weren't originally told they were in first class a head of me. ...
agree

.... Also, I was charged miles for a first class seat, and I feel that I should get at least the difference back.
read the wiki header for
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ation-etc.html
You got the first half of the compensation but some of the miles are probably due back also
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:04 pm

[QUOTE=WineCountryUA;22737683]Again this is about fare rules -- for some reason you are not meeting the fare rules of the lower fares. You will need to pull the fare rules and read them to find out why.

You can find the detail rules at http://www.farecompare.com/products/.

thanks a lot for the replies on this one and the last one. when i go to the webpage for the fare rules and search for either ORD-GRU or IAH-PEK, they both came up empty. i guess united is not making it easy on us...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold

I am not happy, and feel that it wasn't right for them to down grade me, and then put other people that weren't originally told they were in first class a head of me.

Also, I was charged miles for a first class seat, and I feel that I should get at least the difference back.

Any thoughts, or insight would be helpful.
-Dave Williams
Welcome to FT. I would write in and request a refund of the miles and also complain that you were not accommodated on the gate upgrade list as a displaced F customer.

I would suspect, unless you saw them waitlisted and then clear at the gate, that those 5 people were not upgraded after check-in but at some point in the proceeding 5 days through the Complimentary Premier Upgrade process. Why they weren't downgraded instead of you, who knows, downgrade decisions are something of a black box.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by alex_b

I would suspect, unless you saw them waitlisted and then clear at the gate, that those 5 people were not upgraded after check-in but at some point in the proceeding 5 days through the Complimentary Premier Upgrade process. Why they weren't downgraded instead of you, who knows, downgrade decisions are something of a black box.
I did take a photo of the monitor showing upgrades. Do they only show people that are upgraded at the gate on the monitor? There were five names with checks next to their names. I am making the assumption that if they already had their seats, they wouldn't be on that monitor.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:09 pm
Suspended

I did take a photo of the monitor showing upgrades. Do they only show people that are upgraded at the gate on the monitor? There were five names with checks next to their names. I am making the assumption that if they already had their seats, they wouldn't be on that monitor.
That's a wrong assumption. I'm often upgraded weeks earlier and show up with a check mark on the upgrade list after checking in.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
That's a wrong assumption. I'm often upgraded weeks earlier and show up with a check mark on the upgrade list after checking in.
That does make me feel somewhat better. Does a First Class ticket that is bought completely with miles, a lower priority than someone who has upgraded a paid ticket?

-Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.