Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by frankmu
We had a <1 hour connection last month, LHR-ORD-SFO. United automatically rebooked us multiple times a week prior to our departure, despite us telling them we had GE and (most likely) PreCheck.
Well, there are rules about what is permitted for connections (Minimum Connection Time/MCT) and less than 60 minutes for international to domestic at ORD certainly isn't legit. It is only surprising that you were able to book it in the first place, not that the system kept killing it.
Originally Posted by SeisSpeed
So there is better saver awards with status?
There can be. It is more common in economy and rare (but not impossible) in business.

Does United have anything like American or Delta where status is matched by Credit Card spending? Seems to be; these airlines make a certain percentage on all of these credit cards. Why not encourage Max spending with a status match?
They don't match status nor give PQMs but they do exempt you from the PQD requirement with $25k in annual spending on the card.
Also if you are a Club Card holder could you roll that over to a presidential card?
Huh?

Originally Posted by iandm
How come that a flight is eligible for CPU but if I want to use a RPU or Miles - flight is not eligible for upgrade ?
Eligible doesn't mean it can be confirmed immediately. And it if is the elite upgrade at booking for a Y/B/M fare that's a different fare bucket (JN or PN) than the regular upgrades (R). What's the route and is it not eligible or just not able to be confirmed at booking?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Your situation is complicated by the cancelled flight situation.

It sounds like your "upgrade" at the gate was in error and another passagner (who the gate agent may have believed would not make the flight, actually was able to make it). This occasionally happens as GA sometimes take a slight risk and probably was felling sorry for your previous cancellation.

Since you did not have a confirmed business seat on the second flight until the "upgrade", you were the lowest priority customer and therefore bump when the original customer appeared.

In this situation you are due compensation for the downgrade, the key phrase to use is "GG OVS DOWNGRADE."
You should get some miles and a significant e-cert ($1000 to $1500 depending if more than 4000 flight miles)
Thank you for your quick response. United was also quick. They responded to my email within 12 hours!! They're depositing 50,000 miles into our account and may deposit another 15,000 miles. I was shocked and surprised at the quick reply.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by mikeblunt2020
I have a few quick questions. I am scheduled to fly ORD-LHR-BRU-ORD next week.

The TATL segments (ORD-LHR and BRU-ORD) segments are on UA metal. The LHR-BRU segment was booked through UA but is on a codeshare partner, Brussels Airlines.

Questions:

- The flights back home are LHR-BRU-ORD with a 2 hour connection time in BRU. Is this generally sufficient time?
- Will I need to transfer between terminals at BRU?
- Will I be able to check my bag with Brussels Airlines at LHR (for LHR-BRU-ORD) all the way to ORD?
- Am I correct in my understanding that I won't be able to reserve a seat on LHR-BRU until check in?
- When checking in for LHR-BRU-ORD (at 24 hours prior to flight), am I checking in with Brussels Airlines, United, or both?
- After ticketing this itinerary, I received notification from UA that it can take up to 24 hours for the codeshare segment to be confirmed. Does anyone have any experience with codeshare on Brussels Airlines? Is it usually the full 24 hours to confirm?

Thanks in advance.
United finally ticketed my itinerary after I called them after 24 hours had elapsed. I called Brussels Airlines as well to confirm and they were able to give me a seat assignment, so I'm good there. But does anybody have any thoughts on any of the other questions above...?

Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:02 pm

- The flights back home are LHR-BRU-ORD with a 2 hour connection time in BRU. Is this generally sufficient time?
Yes.
- Will I need to transfer between terminals at BRU?
No.
- Will I be able to check my bag with Brussels Airlines at LHR (for LHR-BRU-ORD) all the way to ORD?
Yes.
- When checking in for LHR-BRU-ORD (at 24 hours prior to flight), am I checking in with Brussels Airlines, United, or both?
Brussels Airlines. They may not be able to provide you with the UA boarding pass but you can collect that in Brussels.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

yes call or do online at their website for most (will need their confirmation Id -- see top of itin)
In the itin, I only saw the confirmation number(6 letter and digits) from UAL. I tried to check online to confirm air china ticket by website http://www.travelsky.com/, however it is asking a 13 or 11 characters confirmation number. Where can I get those confirmation for each carrier(other than calling UAL)?

Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:42 pm

Wait List for RPU on PS When Cabin is Completely Open

Hi, I'm Plat and I booked an econ (L) ticket and have decided to use a regional on a PS flight (JFK-LAX).

Immediately, there was a Wait List, even though the entire cabin for BusinessFirst was open. Why?

In your experience how long does it take for the computer to implement the upgrade? How often are "sweeps" done to pull someone off the wait list?

What are your experiences with using regionals to upgrade on PS? It is true some people pay for the seats but a one-way starts at $2200.

Any suggestions could be helpful.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HarvardCollegeElite
Hi, I'm Plat ....
double posting is highly discouraged on FT (and specifically disallowed in the ToS). Your other post was moved to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post22404346 and answered there.

You can always ask a Mod to more an existing post if you think it belongs elsewhere.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by fei3030
In the itin, I only saw the confirmation number(6 letter and digits) from UAL. I tried to check online to confirm air china ticket by website http://www.travelsky.com/, however it is asking a 13 or 11 characters confirmation number. Where can I get those confirmation for each carrier(other than calling UAL)?

Thanks.
You can call the operating carrier also. The 13 digit confirmation number might be the eTicket number which you can find on the receipt page (link a ways down on your itinerary) and which starts with 016.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fei3030
In the itin, I only saw the confirmation number(6 letter and digits) from UAL. ...
Just below the UA confirmation code, you should see "This reservation contains partner flights. View additional confirmation numbers. " click on the link.

However, while many partner confirmations will be displayed, it is not 100%. So in those cases just call the partner airline.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:34 pm

PQD include $+miles upgrade?

If I pay $600 + 30k miles for an upgrade, does the $600 count toward the Premier Qualifying Dollars?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by FolliesFlyer
If I pay $600 + 30k miles for an upgrade, does the $600 count toward the Premier Qualifying Dollars?
No, it doesn't.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 1:34 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
im looking to fly
28 Feb., 2014 | New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) to Hong Kong, SAR, China (HKG)
and
Sat., 8 Mar., 2014 | Hong Kong, SAR, China (HKG) to New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)

I used to have the KVS availability tool on my old pc but since that broke down last week i can't access it for the moment.

I want to use two of my GPU's to upgrade. Is there any way to be sure that the upgrade (from eco to biz) will go through right after booking?

Thnanks
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iandm
How come that a flight is eligible for CPU but if I want to use a RPU or Miles - flight is not eligible for upgrade ?
Originally Posted by sbm12

Eligible doesn't mean it can be confirmed immediately. And it if is the elite upgrade at booking for a Y/B/M fare that's a different fare bucket (JN or PN) than the regular upgrades (R). What's the route and is it not eligible or just not able to be confirmed at booking?
So additional information:

1P
UA1431 SFO-HNL
Eco S

Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:45 am

I booked a United award flight a few months ago for my wife and I to travel this September. Round trip RDU-ORD-DUB outbound (business) and DUB-BOS-PHL-RDU inbound (economy). If it matters, Aer Lingus is the carrier on the transatlantic segments, US Airways for the final PHL-RDU.

We now have plans to go to SFO in May and from what I've read, it sounds like I could tack on a free one way to the itinerary above, adding SFO-RDU (nonstop) which would cost no additional miles. I would be paying a $100 award change fee. Is this right, and advisable? Wanted advice before calling United.

Last edited by wanderingwolf; Feb 24, 2014 at 7:52 am Reason: $100 not $75 since origin changes
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wanderingwolf
I booked a United award flight a few months ago for my wife and I to travel this September. Round trip RDU-ORD-DUB outbound (business) and DUB-BOS-PHL-RDU inbound (economy). If it matters, Aer Lingus is the carrier on the transatlantic segments, US Airways for the final PHL-RDU.

We now have plans to go to SFO in May and from what I've read, it sounds like I could tack on a free one way to the itinerary above, adding SFO-RDU (nonstop) which would cost no additional miles. I would be paying a $100 award change fee. Is this right, and advisable? Wanted advice before calling United.
Don't touch it. New award rates for partners, and you will definitely get a reissued ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.