Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM

This thead is ONLY for:
International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business Class
Domestic First, BusinessFirst, and Business Class
International & Domestic Economy Class
This thread should have the Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class meal information.

Domestic is defined as flights within the USA (states and territories), Canada, and select Latin America destinations.

For the curious folks, the 2013 thread is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ess-class.html

With that, Let's Eat 2014!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
reserved
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL GM, Hertz 5*, Marriott Plat
Question

The intro 2013 post listed the meal types available by time of departure and distance of flight (e.g. whether a flight had breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack).

Is this information still accurate for 2014?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:42 am

Last night (1/1), DEN to MSY. Dinner options were the chicken calzone (only four available on flight) or shrimp salad. FA asked ahead of time if we wanted the tomato bisque (I did not). Chocolate chip cookie for dessert.

Disappointing diinner, but FAs were spectacular.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
1/1 UA 1012 CLE-IAH, 6AM flight, 3h 8m scheduled flight time. Options were sausage/egg English muffin or Honey Nut Cheerios. Both options came with fruit bowl and plain yogurt.

1/1 UA 225 IAH-ONT, 9:39 AM flight, 2h 38m scheduled flight time. Options were scrambled eggs or Honey Nut Cheerios. Both options came with fruit bowl and strawberry yogurt. They were out of scrambled eggs by the time they got to me, so the FA offered to get me the warm sandwich sold in Y (ham and cheese pretzel baguette). I got the last one on the flight, and she gave me Cheerios anyway, being very apologetic the whole time. I actually preferred the baguette anyway.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Flew UA 1206 MCO-CLE in F 6:00PM departure 2-1/2 hr. flight serves only refreshments basically the F come around with a basket with chips and raisins. I fiqured this would be a dinner flight like the FLL-CLE flight I took a few weeks back. At least a snack, a sandwich CO would serve that to Y at one time.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Flew UA 1206 MCO-CLE in F 6:00PM departure 2-1/2 hr. flight serves only refreshments basically the F come around with a basket with chips and raisins. I fiqured this would be a dinner flight like the FLL-CLE flight I took a few weeks back. At least a snack, a sandwich CO would serve that to Y at one time.
MCO-CLE is 895 miles below the 900 mile cutoff
FLL-CLE is 1062 miles, in meal service catogary
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
ORD-PHL 1/4 last night. Only the snack basket but I noticed the selection was different. Not sure if it's new for this year. "Cape Code" brand kettle chips. Walkers brand shortbread chocolate chip cookies. I was on a dark 739 with 20F and was last so that's all that was left when they got to me.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:46 pm

I can report a slight upgrade in the meal service on PS flights...

They are now serving the main course on the Global First plates - the large ones with the concentric circles around the rim. And the presentation of the main is similar to that in Global First. Just a touch more sophisticated.

They also added an extra shrimp to the appetizer - 3 instead of 2. Salad greens were slightly better, but still in the tiny bowl.

Oh so slight improvement, but noted. If only they would upgrade the wines.

And wouldn't it be nice if they put the salad on a small plate (they could save money with a smaller portion) and offered a vegetable based soup along with it and the app.

Little to no additional cost and a long way toward showing they care about the soft product. As would getting more creative the way Delta has. I don't think Delta is spending all that much more on catering on these transcons.

Always amazes me how much people like soup. Highest pleasure to cost ratio in the food business!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
ORD-PHL 1/4 last night. Only the snack basket but I noticed the selection was different. Not sure if it's new for this year. "Cape Code" brand kettle chips. ....
Is United now sourcing its snacks through the auspices of Wacky Packages?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
1/5 UA 406 DEN-LGA
Nuts
Salad
Salmon/Capers/Lemon
Chicken/Rice/Beans OR Pasta/Red Sauce/Veg
Bread
Oatmeal Raisin cookie

Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA GS
UA1575 last night no chips in the snack basket at all. Another cost cutting effort?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Just booked EWR-SXM-EWR in business, and when ordering the tickets the web page says that there will be served Lunch on the flight from SXM (UA1631) which has a STD at 1304. But on the e-ticket receipt is says that they will serve Snack, so which one should I trust? The web page or the receipt?

Cheers
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SASDC8
Just booked EWR-SXM-EWR in business, and when ordering the tickets the web page says that there will be served Lunch on the flight from SXM (UA1631) which has a STD at 1304. But on the e-ticket receipt is says that they will serve Snack, so which one should I trust? The web page or the receipt?

Cheers
My rule of thumb w/UA is, unless you're flying a TCON or int'l BF, you're not getting a meal, you're getting "some food". "Some food" will tide you over, but it won't be that tasty IMO (not like AA's meals ). So I'd supplement if I were you.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC*A
Originally Posted by SASDC8

Cheers
Someone posted a few days ago that their flight to SXM (I believe from EWR) was just a snack on the ~4.5hr flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.