Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver
STT-IAD-LAX - 12/3

Even though it was billed as a snack (and it was a 2:30pm) departure, we were offered the choice of hot turkey and cheese sandwich or southwestern chicken salad on the STT-IAD leg. Wife had the sandwich, I had the salad. Very impressed with both. Good quality greens on the salad and chicken was also perfectly decent. We also both enjoyed the tortilla/corn chowder soup that has been discussed at some length. If you don't like spicy, you won't like it. But if you do, you will. We did. Delicious warm chocolate chip cookie followed. I remember a time when UA served these throughout the aircraft on a transcon.

IAD-LAX matched up with what I've seen recently posted here for similar transcons. Choice of ravioli or chicken and rice. Neither as impressive as the STT-IAD leg but still very edible. Sundae with choice of chocolate, caramel or strawberry followed.

This was my first time sitting up front in quite some time, so I don't have the same perspective many of you do, but I was very satisfied with both the food and the service on both these legs.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by crosscountry58S
IAD-LAX matched up with what I've seen recently posted here for similar transcons. Choice of ravioli or chicken and rice. Neither as impressive as the STT-IAD leg but still very edible. Sundae with choice of chocolate, caramel or strawberry followed.
I just flew EWR-LAX and as an AC elite, I will never complain again about AC domestic J meals.

First of all, two choices (and only one meat/fish) on such a long flight is not impressive. AC offers at least three, usually four on the longest domestic flights (chicken/beef/salmon/pasta)

Second, the chicken was really boring and bland. A little tomato sauce cup made a little difference. The salad was also unimaginative. A little effort is needed here - Air Canada invests probably 50 cents in some real parmesan cheese and sun-dried tomatoes to spice it up.

I was also quite disappointed that I couldn't request a special meal with a paid J ticket with two 5+ hour flights. I'm lactose intolerant and if the chicken had run out cheese ravioli as the other option would have meant no food for me.

If they are going to stick with just two meal options they should implement a AA-esque pre-order system to make sure people get their choice.

The one thing UA has over AC is choosing your own drink upon boarding. That's nice.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
I just flew EWR-LAX and as an AC elite, I will never complain again about AC domestic J meals....

The one thing UA has over AC is choosing your own drink upon boarding. That's nice.
If you utilise the pre-departure beverage as an anaesthetic, the in-flight meal and service will become more palatable.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Still wondering why it's been a couple months and FAs don't know that prosecco is now loaded on all flights.

Yesterday, flew UA1746 LGA-DEN and FA said no champs when asked for sparkling wine as PDB.

Also flew IAD-MCO and FA for PDB said only had white/red. Thankfully I knew that FA that does PDB on PMCO flights works economy once in the air. I asked the FA who worked F if any sparkling wine was catered. She went to check and cheerfully brought back a glass.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Has anybody flown IAH-MEX at "dinner" time lately?

I'm on a flight departing tomorrow at 9 pm and while .com says Dinner, should I be prepared for a hearty meal of a bag of Cape Cod chips and some Jack Daniels?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Flight/Route/Date: UA1241/DEN-LAX/Nov. 25, 2014
Aircraft/Seat: 737-900/2B
Departure Time/Duration: 5:30 p.m./2:34
Meal: Dinner

Not the prettiest dinner, but it tasted OK.

Wine and nuts served soon after takeoff.

A beef and cheese sandwich or a chicken salad were offered. The sandwich was served with mushroom bisque and a wheat roll/butter.

The sandwich was hearty and filling; the beef was tender and not too salty.

White chocolate cranberry cookies were served soon after.

Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:27 pm

Flight/Route/Date: UA750/LAX-DEN/Nov. 28, 2014
Aircraft/Seat: 777-200/6J (BusinessFirst)
Departure Time/Duration: 10:45 a.m./2:17
Meal: Lunch

A bonus 777 for post-Thanksgiving travel was a nice treat. Pre-departure drinks were offered; I tried the Prosecco (Tiamo brand).

After takeoff the crew hustled to serve lunch in our short 1:38 (great tailwind) flight time. White wine and nuts to start.

The offering in business was a chicken wrap; first was also had a salad from which to choose. French onion soup, grapes and a pretzel roll/butter were also on the tray.

The wrap was quite tasty with a bit of aoli mayonnaise sauce.

A chocolate-chip cookie and coffee followed lunch.

Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
nice to see that with the upgraded sandwiches, the side of bread is still present...
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Yesterday on PUJ-IAD, FA said that alcoholic drinks were not allowed on the ground. Has anyone heard of this before? I have never flown from PUJ before. Lunch was choice of warm turkey sandwich or chicKen salad.

As stated above dinner on IAD-SFO was ravioli with squash or chicken with I think a red pepper sauce over rice. I thought the ravioli was decent, I liked the sauce.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Has anybody flown IAH-MEX at "dinner" time lately?

I'm on a flight departing tomorrow at 9 pm and while .com says Dinner, should I be prepared for a hearty meal of a bag of Cape Cod chips and some Jack Daniels?
For a flight at that hour? Get some food at IAH to be safe!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jasonp622
Yesterday on PUJ-IAD, FA said that alcoholic drinks were not allowed on the ground. Has anyone heard of this before? I have never flown from PUJ before. Lunch was choice of warm turkey sandwich or chicKen salad.
I'm pretty sure I had a PDB leaving SDQ.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
nice to see that with the upgraded sandwiches, the side of bread is still present...
I like to dunk it in my soup
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kurt
I like to dunk it in my soup
Once at the wharf in Monterey I was having a sourdough breadbowl of clam chowder...the waiter asked me if I wanted any bread. I stared at him and then he laughed and realized.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Once at the wharf in Monterey I was having a sourdough breadbowl of clam chowder...the waiter asked me if I wanted any bread. I stared at him and then he laughed and realized.
And croutons on top?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
PDB is not served any more?

I have two flights today. No pre departure beverage was served. When did U A end this? Thanks. Happy travels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.