Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
UA1703 LAX-EWR F Jul 2014
LAX-EWR is no longer a premium market, only a premium price. Only PS JFK-SFO/LAX is "premium" now.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Can we put an end to these "what are they going to have on my flight xxx-xxx" by just saying that on any UA domestic flight, except for ps, there's a very good chance that (a) there will be no meal, and (b) if there is a meal, the food will suck.

The only exception here is latin america flights ex-IAH, where you've got about a fifty percent chance of getting something decent.
Or for that matter put this thread out of its own misery because there is nothing to report...no changes since 2012 except for more cutbacks and "flyer-friendly" enhancements.

However, if this is even a glimmer of hope that someone at HQS finally is getting the message, they are revamping the salads on lunch flights. Options include asian style noodle salad with chicken, roast beef and bleu cheese with seasonal greens, strawberry field salad with chicken and feta, and southwestern salad with chicken. The wraps, burger, calzone/dough ball/whatever you call it, still seem to be sticking around but at least the salads seem to go back in the direction of the days of CO catering.

I think this starts this month so it should be interesting to see if anyone reports back.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Who says it's a premium transcon flight?
I did. It's pretty clear from the post.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Who says it's a premium transcon flight?
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I did. It's pretty clear from the post.
If it is United, it's not really "premium". Just saying.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by lesliegolf
I wonder if adding a wiki to this might help.
Excellent idea. Setup and maintained by the extraneous post whiners.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
If it is United, it's not really "premium". Just saying.
THAT was my point!!! Some people are living in the past, if they think it is a Premium Route since UA does not think so.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
THAT was my point!!! Some people are living in the past, if they think it is a Premium Route since UA does not think so.
It's a premium route that UA would charge premium but deliver so so food and service.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Or for that matter put this thread out of its own misery because there is nothing to report...no changes since 2012 except for more cutbacks and "flyer-friendly" enhancements.

However, if this is even a glimmer of hope that someone at HQS finally is getting the message, they are revamping the salads on lunch flights. Options include asian style noodle salad with chicken, roast beef and bleu cheese with seasonal greens, strawberry field salad with chicken and feta, and southwestern salad with chicken. The wraps, burger, calzone/dough ball/whatever you call it, still seem to be sticking around but at least the salads seem to go back in the direction of the days of CO catering.

I think this starts this month so it should be interesting to see if anyone reports back.
Hope everyone enjoys this because it will be another two years at least before we see an update.

As for the McSmisek Quarter Pounder, it will never go away as long as he is CEO. It was slated to be retired as far back as 2007 but the story goes that during the menu presentation for senior CO executives to review the updated domestic FC menus, he made a passionate plea to keep it as it was a personal favorite. We've been enjoying it ever since!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pigx5
It's a premium route that UA would charge premium but deliver so so food and service.
IN what sense is it a premium route?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 3:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by excon2007
Hope everyone enjoys this because it will be another two years at least before we see an update.

As for the McSmisek Quarter Pounder, it will never go away as long as he is CEO. It was slated to be retired as far back as 2007 but the story goes that during the menu presentation for senior CO executives to review the updated domestic FC menus, he made a passionate plea to keep it as it was a personal favorite. We've been enjoying it ever since!
Compared to the calzone or 7-11 burrito, I'll take the quarter pounder w/ cheese any day of the week...which is just sad.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
But we all thought the new UA would keep CO catering...
Breakfast Egg McMuffin (cinnamon rolls too) - CO
Cheeseburger - CO
Burrito like meat wrap - CO
Chicken Bouquet - CO

Did I miss something where the meals are not CO catering?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Breakfast Egg McMuffin (cinnamon rolls too) - CO
Cheeseburger - CO
Burrito like meat wrap - CO
Chicken Bouquet - CO

Did I miss something where the meals are not CO catering?
When you put it this way, CO catering was worse. These items were in the rotation but seemingly less present and there were still other options floating around.

But I think in the 2010 timeframe was when the 7/11 McDonalds style food selections seem to really come in full swing....which in reality seems to really coincide with when CO started doing BOB. Not sure the logic....unless Jeff was thinking "hmm we are going to start charging for food in Y, and even though we will be increasing income from that end, it would be stupid to not try and start downgrading the F meals while were at it to save a couple of bucks."
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:43 am

When you put it this way, CO catering was worse. These items were in the rotation but seemingly less present and there were still other options floating around.

But I think in the 2010 timeframe was when the 7/11 McDonalds style food selections seem to really come in full swing....which in reality seems to really coincide with when CO started doing BOB. Not sure the logic....unless Jeff was thinking "hmm we are going to start charging for food in Y, and even though we will be increasing income from that end, it would be stupid to not try and start downgrading the F meals while were at it to save a couple of bucks."
These menu rotations were actually harmonized post-merger around 2011. The only item legacy CO is the cheeseburger. CO briefly had a chicken fajita wrap but they were axed after the merger as they were hand made and required labor from the flight kitchens to produce them versus sticking a frozen item on a plate (note the winged casserole dish items are all preplated which was a big no-no under Bethune/Kellner as they felt preplated entrees had diminished flavor and quality). The legacy CO lunch selections were things like warm Philly cheesesteaks and turkey swiss paninis etc. Dinner actually had some thought behind them like Kung Pao shrimp over rice and vegetable lasagna. Years ago CO also used to have Subway sandwiches in coach on the Florida runs.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100

Dude, MacDon's is way better than the current domestic F catering. I'm not saying that as hyperbole; I really and truly believe it. I just had that midcon chicken/green bean/rice situation this week. 100% would have preferred Taco Bell.

EDIT: Before someone says "why didn't you just pick something up in the terminal", because I wanted to see if it was as bad as everyone said.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
EDIT: Before someone says "why didn't you just pick something up in the terminal", because I wanted to see if it was as bad as everyone said.
curiosity killed the cat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.