Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
4 March 2014
UA 248
BOS-SFO
1605 Departure - Dinner & Snack

Choice of Pasta or Beef with Noodles followed by ice cream and later a snack basket.

It seems that appetizer has been officially cut (this is my 3rd or 4th flight without and its missing from recent posts here). Pretty sad spread for UA's longest CONUS flight (2,700mi 6.5 hrs). Perhaps they should considering reducing the try size, at least it wouldn't look so empty.

Decent flight crew. Orders and service front to back. I was in Row 6 and was offered both choices and received my first choice. Drink refills about hourly after the dinner service.

Last edited by kenn0223; Mar 5, 2014 at 10:42 am
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by sumayya
I,ll be flying EWR-LAS in F class. Flight time seems 5 hours and departure is 9 am. What can I expect to be served and would it be just the breakfast after take off or do they serve anything else before landing?
fly this quite a bit: think it is still breakfast (lines blur between breakfast and lunch flights) and no snacks. Wha's even more amazing is that you actually got a F seat on the downsized planes and downgraded frequency on this route.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by kenn0223
It seems that appetizer has been officially cut (this is my 3rd or 4th flight without and its missing from recent posts here). Pretty sad spread for UA's longest CONUS flight (2,700mi 6.5 hrs). Perhaps they should considering reducing the try size, at least it wouldn't look so empty.
What are you complaining about -- after all, you got a tomato in your salad!!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
MCO-ORD

Lunch today: warm nuts; cheeseburger or grilled chicken salad with roll; spicy chicken enchilada soup (flight attendant didn't mention it when taking orders); cranberry-something cookie served on the tray, rather than later.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we announced some new premium cabin dining updates that you will begin to see when flying with us:

New gluten-free choices: On March 1 we will be transitioning to gluten-free salad dressing on all North and Central America flights. Our soups are already gluten-free, making for an entirely gluten-free meal option on flights where both soup and salad are served. These gluten-free options will be available in the long-haul premium cabins departing the United States this summer.
Transition to Greek yogurt: As some of you have already noticed, we are replacing regular yogurt with Greek yogurt on breakfast flights departing the United States throughout North and Central America.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Two "enhancements" that I wouldn't even have noticed or perceived as upgrades.

Why do I get the feeling these changes are actually just cheaper on the bottom line and are being spun as benefits to the premium passenger?

Edit: I had a glance at the AA catering thread again since it has been a while. I almost wish I hadn't. The comparison is most certainly not something to be proud of if I ran an airline.

Last edited by CaptKornDog; Mar 6, 2014 at 8:02 pm
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boss315
Look at this and you'll never fly UA again:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...lidated-6.html

Most of the food looks half way appetizing!
Is it possible that AA flyers are better photographers and zoom in so much so the food looks a lot more substantial?

Are we willing to have a domestic upgrade system like AA to get better food?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by username

Are we willing to have a domestic upgrade system like AA to get better food?
Yes Yes Yes!!! I would even trade my six fare-restricted GPUs for eight of them there unrestricted SWU's.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CaptKornDog
Two "enhancements" that I wouldn't even have noticed or perceived as upgrades.

Why do I get the feeling these changes are actually just cheaper on the bottom line and are being spun as benefits to the premium passenger?
We definitely noticed the reduced portion. United is really watching out for our health!

Thinner passengers = less fuel burn. Everyone wins! Thank you United
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: American, United, Alaska, IHG Gold, Amtrak
I burned most of my UA miles /mostly earned on CO and Copa prior to the merger/ on a F class Trip Oct 2013 MCO-IAH-HNL-GUM-YAP and return. While ground staff and some of the inflight staff were exceptional the Food was mostly awful. Seating and service were inconsistent and while I did send in two compliments for individual employees, I also received 2 useless vouchers as Opps I'm sorry we failed from customer service that were handed to me by the FA's. God forbid your diabetic on UA all you get is carb bombs, or wilted salads that smack of food poisoning. Although just to be fare I was served a piece of Salmon between HNL-GUM that tasted like it had 3 years of freezer burn prior to being overcooked to death..I would not have fed it to my cats. Cheers UA.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by kenn0223
4 March 2014
UA 248
BOS-SFO

Choice of Pasta or Beef with Noodles followed by ice cream and later a snack basket.

Decent flight crew. Orders and service front to back. I was in Row 6 and was offered both choices and received my first choice. Drink refills about hourly after the dinner service.
Wow this looks pathetic. One piece of broccoli?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:46 pm

[QUOTE=kenn0223;22467361]4 March 2014
UA 248
BOS-SFO

I had the beef/noodle/broccoli dinner in the picture, it was truly AWFUL

The beef was fatty and slimy, noodles not cooked and coLdl and broccoli limp and wilted
Usually I can eat something of the dinner, whether potatoes, veggies or meat but NOT that
This experience convinced me next time I will bring something to eat, even dried fruit. Would be nice but never this again
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by Greenghost
I'm flying from houston to Lima next month in businessfirst, what can I expect for my dinner options? I fly united domestic first often, but this will be my first international haul on united. Please tell me it will be better than the domestic scrap...I dont even like the cheeseburger, and typically find the soup bland. Thanks.
It's slightly better.

You will get a choice of the standard Latin American fare:

Mixed Grill
Fish
Pasta
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cmhua777
It's slightly better.

You will get a choice of the standard Latin American fare:

Mixed Grill
Fish
Pasta
Last time I had the mixed grill it was inedible.

Are they really serving that on a BF route?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by sriegert
Wow this looks pathetic. One piece of broccoli?
Somebody isn't looking closely...there are two pieces of broccoli there.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Last time I had the mixed grill it was inedible.

Are they really serving that on a BF route?
I don't mind it. I have it often on my way down to CentAm and just had it again on EWR-LIM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.