Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond

UA 1010,
LAX-ORD, 739 aircraft
Lunch (12:04 pm departure)
2/27/2014

Cold mixed nuts. Not warm, not room temperature, but cold.

Shrimp salad or chicken wrap/calzone/salt&carb bomb. <Le sigh>

Tomato bisque soup.

Warm roll.

Warm (underbaked) oatmeal raisin cookie served well after the meal.

Chicken thing was described by the FA (optimistically) as a "chicken parmesan sandwich." Hey if we can't change the meal options, at least we can change what they are called!

Last edited by bse118; Mar 1, 2014 at 2:30 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dh01
SRQ ORD in F had a choice of cheeseburger or salad with chicken. No soup offered, but a warm roll with butter with both choices. Warm cookie post lunch
The crew was probably too lazy to warm the soup up or else they wanted it for themselves.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
UA1536 IAD-SFO F Feb 2014

UA1536 IAD-SFO First February 2014

Dinner

Choice of chicken or pasta. No appetizer or bread catered. Inadequate catering for a flight with 5hr50m of flying time, in my opinion.

Fortunately, the crew was excellent.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Just flew SFO-MCO in F return, dinner flights both ways. Usual choice of Chicken Cacciatore or Pasta outbound; Beef with Noodles or Pasta inbound.

Sundae service and snack basket were provided in both directions, but noticeably absent was the shrimp or salmon appetizer and a downgrade in the salad to just iceberg with an olive in both directions - no cucumber, tomato, etc. These were different in Jan/Feb across multiple standard (non-premium) transcons that I took. Interested to hear from others if this part of the additional cost trimming, or was this just a double catering mishap?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by greenpau
but noticeably absent was the shrimp or salmon appetizer and a downgrade in the salad to just iceberg with an olive in both directions - no cucumber, tomato, etc. These were different in Jan/Feb across multiple standard (non-premium) transcons that I took. Interested to hear from others if this part of the additional cost trimming, or was this just a double catering mishap?
given the small sample of recent postings to this thread (namely the post above yours), your observations seem to be part of a broader pattern. its going to keep getting worse before it gets better, i predict. after all, thyre touting GF salad dressing as an "enhancement" to catering.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by greenpau
Just flew SFO-MCO in F return... noticeably absent was the shrimp or salmon appetizer and a downgrade in the salad to just iceberg with an olive in both directions - no cucumber, tomato, etc. These were different in Jan/Feb across multiple standard (non-premium) transcons that I took. Interested to hear from others if this part of the additional cost trimming, or was this just a double catering mishap?
I think that's the new standard for non-PS/premium transcon catering. My post above from February (IAD-SFO) also featured the downgraded salad and no appetizer.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Flew CUN-SFO, it was a 6 hour flight... Catering was embarrassing, it was that disgusting chicken wrap or an unpleasant shrimp salad. No sundaes, no snack and nothing else. I guess the 2013 rule doesn't apply??? :

Flights departing between 1600 and 1959 feature a full dinner service with ice cream sundae dessert, followed by a pre-arrival selection of of premium snacks and fresh fruit. These flights are coded as DINNER, REFRESHMENTS

UA continues to disappoint in 2014 for food.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The appetizer is gone from transcon catering now? My goodness, how cheap can United get? Each passing month seems to yield another pitiful cut in the neverending quest to save pennies... meanwhile they expect people to spend more money for this garbage? Just give up already.

Truly embarassing compared to the competition. Do people in Chicago pay any attention to Delta, American or even US Airways?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
March
A319 F
MSP-SFO
Dinner

Mezzaluna cheese ravioli with sauteed squash, zucchini, and onion; salad; warm roll. (Other choice was the chicken with red sauce, green beans, and rice.) Besides the lack of the seafood appetizer, this was actually one of the nicer variants of the pasta dish. It was a reasonable portion size, the pasta wasn't overcooked, and there was actually enough sauce (much of it lurking underneath the ravioli). Warm cranberry oatmeal raisin cookies followed. ^

Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
First Class Breakfast (EWR-MCO)

Hi. I will be traveling EWR-MCO (8:26am-11:16am) with my family. Wife, 6 & 3 year olds. I rarely ever go First Class, but the fare diff was slightly higher than the baggage fee (so no brainer).

According to the itinerary and flight length this should be full breakfast.

1. What is the typical breakfast. I called United and they didn't have a clue. Should I call back and ask again? Or do they really not know?
2. Does anyone know what the "kids meal" would entail if I pre-ordered it?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
You'll get the equivalent of an egg McMuffin from McDonald's, with a small side of fruit - no "kids meals" (or any special meals) on almost all domestic flights.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Wow. Seriously, is United by far the worst and sorry excuse for domestic first class? When I lived in Phx I used to complain about HP's hot pockets years ago but it looks like UA has trumped that. Do they actually think people would pay to sit up front? Do they know their competitors are superior? More importantly if they do, do they even care?

I'm sick of seeing Jeffys smile on page 2 of the magazine.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rch4u
You'll get the equivalent of an egg McMuffin from McDonald's, with a small side of fruit - no "kids meals" (or any special meals) on almost all domestic flights.
Or a bowl of cereal with a fruit cup/yogurt and a banana for the cereal.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:41 am

I,ll be flying EWR-LAS in F class. Flight time seems 5 hours and departure is 9 am. What can I expect to be served and would it be just the breakfast after take off or do they serve anything else before landing?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by sumayya
I,ll be flying EWR-LAS in F class. Flight time seems 5 hours and departure is 9 am. What can I expect to be served and would it be just the breakfast after take off or do they serve anything else before landing?
Havn't flow that route, but for 5 hrs, I think you get the snack basket as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.