Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
2/20/14 LAX-EWR

The "cajun chicken" was pretty good, I was impressed. Other entree options were the beef or the cheese pasta with squash veg.

It is indeed pretty good IMO, although it's been around forever:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10014...30623693165338
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
First that I've seen it in the past 2.5 years on any of my domestic flights, so a welcome choice...I was expecting the tamale stuffed chicken!
Old Feb 22, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SFO777
What's the point? It's not like anything is good.
Just buy something at ORD before you board.
Amen to that. Thanks to UA, I contracted food poisoning several times last year... one of the many reasons I dumped that giant underachiever.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
2/21 MCO EWR 757 lie-flat - very nice!

Was supposed to be dinner, but was lunch.

Nuts that they didnt' bother to warm.

Mushroom soup and choice of a cheeseburger, or shrimp salad.

After - either chocolate chip, or cranberry cookies.

There was one upgrade in the plane 3B, every other seat was full price first, and they FA went to the person in 3B for the first order. They dodged about to two others, then with row 1, which I was in. From what I could tell, everybody got their choice.

I just dont' status should trump a full first class ticket. Couple in 1A and B were full fare connecting to Europe, but no status. Seems very cheap to get to them late - and I know they were J fare as their travel agent papers were out, and easy to read across the aisle.

FA's were good about drink refills. I found a comical scene when both pilots had to come out to pee during dinner service, and then a jump seat Virgin pilot, who said "I hope it's not an inconvenience", and the FA said rather loudly that "I hate to be blunt, but it is!'. I chuckled.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
2/21 MCO EWR 757 lie-flat - very nice!

Was supposed to be dinner, but was lunch.

Nuts that they didnt' bother to warm.

Mushroom soup and choice of a cheeseburger, or shrimp salad.

After - either chocolate chip, or cranberry cookies.

There was one upgrade in the plane 3B, every other seat was full price first, and they FA went to the person in 3B for the first order. They dodged about to two others, then with row 1, which I was in. From what I could tell, everybody got their choice.

I just dont' status should trump a full first class ticket. Couple in 1A and B were full fare connecting to Europe, but no status. Seems very cheap to get to them late - and I know they were J fare as their travel agent papers were out, and easy to read across the aisle.

FA's were good about drink refills. I found a comical scene when both pilots had to come out to pee during dinner service, and then a jump seat Virgin pilot, who said "I hope it's not an inconvenience", and the FA said rather loudly that "I hate to be blunt, but it is!'. I chuckled.
Lunch and dinner are the exact same thing on the MCO-EWR flights. Sigh...
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
Unless you have access to internal UA records, you cannot know if people were upgraded prior to T-24.

You also cannot know that all but one pax was "full price first." I often fly front cabin on P or Z fares, which are generally cheaper than a Y/B/M fare, and certainly do not qualify as "full price."
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by Kacee
Unless you have access to internal UA records, you cannot know if people were upgraded prior to T-24.

You also cannot know that all but one pax was "full price first." I often fly front cabin on P or Z fares, which are generally cheaper than a Y/B/M fare, and certainly do not qualify as "full price."
Regardless, the point being that an upgrade was served before paid...regardless of Fare letter, it was still paid...part of the epic COua fail in meal service. Letting freeloaders get their first choice over paid is one of many reasons the UA F buyers have gone elsewhere.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mike1968
Regardless, the point being that an upgrade was served before paid...regardless of Fare letter, it was still paid...part of the epic COua fail in meal service. Letting freeloaders get their first choice over paid is one of many reasons the UA F buyers have gone elsewhere.
You can fly paid F MCO-EWR non stop RT in March on average of about $800. Non-status paid F who is doing some small regional business on the company dime on these 3 hour flights here and there maybe once a quarter…so he's $2400 into UA. Probably books family vacation on whatever comes cheapest via Expedia/Orbitz/etc and for a weekend away with friends to celebrate a birthday or special occasion is just flying some other domestic airline one of them picks.

Gold who has spent 2x this flyer, Platinum has spent 3x this, 1K has spent 4x this (I'll be $15,000 in the hole to UA EOY 2014) over the course of the entire year. However, maybe they booked the same flight as this flyer in economy that is about $300 and were lucky enough to get a CPU given the amount of BIS miles and $ they have spent over the past year. Maybe an RPU was expiring and just decided to burn it for the sake of letting it not fizzle?

So just MAYBE someone had to get ...... beef instead of crappy chicken over mediocre pasta…now as a business operator who are you going to invest in?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
Thanks to UA, I contracted food poisoning several times last year... one of the many reasons I dumped that giant underachiever.
Several cases of FOOD POISONING over the period of one year?
And not a single word in any media anywhere of anybody (else) being affected? I have some friends in airline catering management (non-UA related in anyway) and believe me, such a number of incidents as you are citing would hit back at any catering provider/operation with severe consequences.

Sorry, I fail to understand and appreciate your statement ....
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: AA 1.85MM, UA GS
Yesterday, IAH-CUN UA1010, only warm scone and beverage, first time I dont see a full breakfast in this route. I Hope they dont the same with mex city.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hoble
Yesterday, IAH-CUN UA1010, only warm scone and beverage, first time I dont see a full breakfast in this route. I Hope they dont the same with mex city.
800 miles, so doesn't make the newish 900 mile minimum for a full "meal" (meal very much in quotes, given UA food quality these days), and not deemed worthy of a special exception like LGA-ORD.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee

Exactly right

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Several cases of FOOD POISONING over the period of one year?
And not a single word in any media anywhere of anybody (else) being affected? I have some friends in airline catering management (non-UA related in anyway) and believe me, such a number of incidents as you are citing would hit back at any catering provider/operation with severe consequences.

Sorry, I fail to understand and appreciate your statement ....
Well, my apologies for not telling the New York Times about it, but in the end, whether you appreciate my statement or not is of no consequence to me... I have moved on to AA which offers vastly superior catering on both domestic and international flights.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 23, 2014 at 7:09 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mike1968
Where they served or just order taken? It's a tough one many people think that elites should have first choice, and many think paid F pax's should.. It's a debate with no winner.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Where they served or just order taken? It's a tough one many people think that elites should have first choice, and many think paid F pax's should.. It's a debate with no winner.
Yes, but ultimately in this case, it is still UA's fault.

Other airlines, for instance, have some kind of even-front or odd-back procedure for meal orders. Given UA's shrinking profits, if they really want to be that strict about prioritizing meal orders, then why not create an algorithm that would take most the fare paid and status into account and the allow GAs to generate it and pass it to the FAs with the final paperwork? This way, a GS member on a full-fare F ticket would always get the first choice, but a Gold Premier member on a cheap fare would have a lower chance than a non-Premier full-fare F customer.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Look at this and you'll never fly UA again:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...lidated-6.html

Most of the food looks half way appetizing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.