Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude FA in BizFirst

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:02 pm
FTA

I have fired employees for this kind of bull, bringing personal life to work. I pay you to work, period. If you're not gonna work then your not gonna get a job. Simple

There are lots of good, reliable, hardworking people out there that want a job, but for whatever reason, can't find one so why should I let a loser like this have a job in the first place?

In all my years of working, I have never brought my personal life to work, as an entry level employee and as management

But I agree, no need for your story. They're busy, keep it simple
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by FTA
I have fired employees for this kind of bull, bringing personal life to work. I pay you to work, period. If you're not gonna work then your not gonna get a job. Simple

There are lots of good, reliable, hardworking people out there that want a job, but for whatever reason, can't find one so why should I let a loser like this have a job in the first place?

In all my years of working, I have never brought my personal life to work, as an entry level employee and as management

And who said that she didn't work? She just wasn't as nice as a normal FA however she completed her job, didn't she? The kind of manager like you I wouldn't want to work for anyway.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:31 pm
FTA

In what industry is yelling at a customer working?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by FTA
No employee counseling program in your workplace I gather? Just fire them and be done with it? Maybe there are issues in play that are none of your business such as a personal medical issue or financial crisis. Hard to stop those issues at the door.

None of us know what the UA flight attendant had on her plate this day. Maybe it wasn't something you can easily leave at the front door.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by FTA

^^^

I have done the same (fire). If you don't like it leave it. I deal with customer service everyday. If this FA is having "a bad day", for whatever reason - call in sick.

I'll stick with my policy, get found texting on the clock- warning. 2nd time - bye-bye.

There are millions of people that would love to work for my firm. Screw Up (again, after a warning) - see you at the Piggly Wiggly (or Ralph's, Kroger, Albertsons). Put a smile on your face! Happy New Year!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1
I have done the same (fire). If you don't like it leave it. I deal with customer service everyday. If this FA is having "a bad day", for whatever reason - call in sick.
Call in sick when you're not sick? Just the ammo UA management needs to fire an employee - abusive use of sick leave. Fortunately these flight attendants have two different unions representing them and I don't think they'd stand still and let UA management fire someone without sufficient cause and lots of documentation.

Has the customer even complained to UA about the incident reported in this thread? Maybe UA should review the complaint, at the very least, before terminating the flight attendant.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:06 pm

Have a little compassion on a person would have changed him/her for life. Hire another person won't guarantee that person would be any better. Just saying.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:28 pm

I see the UA flight attendants do have access to an employee assistance program. If this particular flight attendant is having some issues away from work, a referral from a coworker could be helpful.
About the Employee Assistance Program
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
To me the most remarkable thing about this story is that OP wanted two UA meals. Oh, the suffering!

A couple of flights per year, I run into a really rude and bossy FA.

You also see some very weird behavior on airplanes. Like the dude in BF today who put a pillow over his head to hide the fact he was yapping on his cell phone while we were taxiing out at SFO. The FAs surrounded him and said, basically, "do you really think we can't hear you talking on your cell phone?"

This thread has it all. A truly fitting end to a rather bizarre 2013.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
OK, it sounds like the FA was out of line, if your wife was awake and asking for food, she should have gotten food, even though she never ever eats on planes, even on long flights, even when seated in business class.

It does seem that maybe you guys are overly obsessed with the notion of getting everything you pay for, to the point where your wife always wants you to have two meals, and her first concern upon waking up is that you get another appetizer. Most people don't eat two appetizers and two entrees, and if you basically tell a server that you want to eat two meals at a time just because you can, the server may do an internal eye roll and think that you are being a bit gluttonous or low class.

I understand that two meals are included in the price of two tickets. Just because something is included doesn't mean you always have to take it, or that someone won't think you're a little weird for insisting on it. Airlines give free aspirin and decks of cards to passengers who want them too, I think. Imagine if you asked the FA "Can I get some aspirin and a deck of cards, and by the way I don't have a headache and I don't play cards, I just want them because I'm now entitled to them having paid for my ticket. Oh and my wife wants a set too." Should the FA politely get you both the aspirin and deck of cards? Yes. Is it possible though that the flight attendant is going to be annoyed with you and think you're being greedy and inappropriate? Yes. And if she's human that may end up reflected in her service.

So my conclusion is that the FA was unnecessarily rude, but she wasn't unnecessarily rude to a normal passenger, because a couple that always insists on getting two meals when one person isn't eating, every single flight, just because you can, is abnormal. But it's absolutely the FA's job though to be pleasant to normal and abnormal and gluttonous and non-gluttonous passengers alike, and she that failed here.

Perhaps the compensation you request from UA for her rudeness should be that you are served three meals on your next flight.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by tom911
Call in sick when you're not sick?
Another thread about a month ago was about a FA (I think UA) that walked off a flt because he/she was "stressed out". Flt was cancelled. It was a commuter flt (so not mainline UA). So all passengers were screwed.

Quit defending the FA. If being a FA is a difficult job... Think again:

FA = 6 weeks TOTAL training (4 weeks of customer service training/serving). If to tough. Denny's and Applebee's are hiring.

To the FA: Call the Union. Your covered, no matter how much of a witch you were.

NEVER, EVER ASK FOR 2 MEALS! Big no-no on UA metal. Unless you get one of the great FA's on UA (they still exist). Happy trails!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jphripjah
OK, it sounds like the FA was out of line, if your wife was awake and asking for food, she should have gotten food, even though she never ever eats on planes, even on long flights, even when seated in business class.

It does seem that maybe you guys are overly obsessed with the notion of getting everything you pay for, to the point where your wife always wants you to have two meals, and her first concern upon waking up is that you get another appetizer. Most people don't eat two appetizers and two entrees, and if you basically tell a server that you want to eat two meals at a time just because you can, the server may do an internal eye roll and think that you are being a bit gluttonous or low class.

I understand that two meals are included in the price of two tickets. Just because something is included doesn't mean you always have to take it, or that someone won't think you're a little weird for insisting on it. Airlines give free aspirin and decks of cards to passengers who want them too, I think. Imagine if you asked the FA "Can I get some aspirin and a deck of cards, and by the way I don't have a headache and I don't play cards, I just want them because I'm now entitled to them having paid for my ticket. Oh and my wife wants a set too." Should the FA politely get you both the aspirin and deck of cards? Yes. Is it possible though that the flight attendant is going to be annoyed with you and think you're being greedy and inappropriate? Yes. And if she's human that may end up reflected in her service.

So my conclusion is that the FA was unnecessarily rude, but she wasn't unnecessarily rude to a normal passenger, because a couple that always insists on getting two meals when one person isn't eating, every single flight, just because you can, is abnormal. But it's absolutely the FA's job though to be pleasant to normal and abnormal and gluttonous and non-gluttonous passengers alike, and she that failed here.

Perhaps the compensation you request from UA for her rudeness should be that you are served three meals on your next flight.
Do you ever fly quality airlines? On CX, SQ and TG they come around asking if you want extra portions - more caviar? another entree? Maybe the attitude of these FAs is to 'spoil' their premium cabin customers?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by kettle1
Another thread about a month ago was about a FA (I think UA) that walked off a flt because he/she was "stressed out". Flt was cancelled. It was a commuter flt (so not mainline UA). So all passengers were screwed.

Quit defending the FA. If being a FA is a difficult job... Think again:

FA = 6 weeks TOTAL training (4 weeks of customer service training/serving). If to tough. Denny's and Applebee's are hiring.

To the FA: Call the Union. Your covered, no matter how much of a witch you were.

NEVER, EVER ASK FOR 2 MEALS! Big no-no on UA metal. Unless you get one of the great FA's on UA (they still exist). Happy trails!
Seriously, you think the FAs have an easy job? I would think a random reading of FT posts would be enough to convince most people otherwise. The FAs get it from both ends, passengers and management.

6 weeks training. 6 weeks training specific to the job. That's actually quite a bit, and likely more than many in much-higher-paying jobs. And I have yet to come across an FA that I would consider incompetent to handle the job, or even lacking in basic intelligence. Rude or surly, sure, once in a while. But I'll place my life in the hands of a trained, intelligent, rude or surly person and feel a lot better off than someone screened & trained by Dennys or Applebee strictly on the basis of smiling at the right time and avoiding confrontation.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by xox

It is inconceivable to me that we would have had this sort of incident on an Asian carrier.
Originally Posted by wethereyet
Quite honestly, it's unthinkable to see it on Asian carriers.
Don't be so sure about that, just 5 days ago I flew BR Royal Laurel TPE-CDG, I decided to order two mid-flight snack at the same time, instant noodles and dim sum. Since the menu only said instant noodles, it doesn't say it come with any meat or side dishes, so I decided to order the dim sum as well, and in reality the instant noodles are just instant noodles, nothing coming with it at all.

The FA's reaction was "WHAT ? You want both ???" I was shocked that would even come out of her mouth. Then she was rolling her eyes and shown a mad face, like I had to make her to do so much.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I think you are overstating the role that FAs actually play in passenger safety. It's mostly a customer service job. 100% of passengers require service, and only .00001% of passengers ever have their health, well being, or safety impacted by anything a flight attendant does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.