Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More Wifi in the FLL United Club

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Awesome. Not only is the club small and overcrowded every time I visit, there is now no wifi. The club "offering" is becoming a joke.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I have been to this club more then any except CLE. I would agree, I have witnessed overcrowing. The one positive the staff has always been great. This is one of the smaller clubs.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: United Silver
Perhaps a sign of things to come..
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bocastephen
While the old Club wifi was never a "screamer" speed-wise, just be aware the new wifi option is purely public and you should assume your data and personal information is being sniffed for sure - while that risk existed at the United Club's wifi option, it's almost guaranteed on the new system, so you should avoid logging into sensitive websites without a VPN or some form of strong encryption.
This is awesome FUD. Keep up the good work.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
This is awesome FUD. Keep up the good work.
I call your and raise you two more

If you read my post carefully, the difference I was outlining was not the security on the wifi itself, but the larger and less trustworthy audience sharing the same network across 4 terminals instead of fellow club members in a single location. Given south Florida culture, where crime is a sport, my point was to make people aware that other users are almost guaranteed to be sniffing data off the airport wifi system, so either use a VPN or don't log into anything sensitive.

Originally Posted by jgreen1024
If true, this may not have been United's decision. The airport may have decided that it wants to be the sole Wi-Fi operator in the building in an effort to control things like interference between APs, so they may have ordered the UC to shut down. Something similar exists in LAS - the airport operates the Wi-Fi in the United Club, although they do cause the "United_Club" SSID to appear just on the APs physically located in the club. But it's the same network and equipment as the airport free Wi-Fi.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Was this a voluntary change or was there a franchise dispute?
Broward County Aviation Department barely has the intelligence to wipe their own behind, let alone figure out there was interference. The two signals were living together just fine for years (since Continental opened the lounge when T1 itself opened), so I think this is cost cutting pure and simple, although my regular agents were not at the desk to ask what happened - I'll be back in a couple weeks and try to get more details if possible.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Usually only on LTE surfing web from iphone because most of time there spent waiting in line to take a pee.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:36 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... so I think this is cost cutting pure and simple, although my regular agents were not at the desk to ask what happened - I'll be back in a couple weeks and try to get more details if possible.
so this was speculation and not based on any information from the club personnel?
Might temporary, might be permanent?
Might be cost cutting, might be something else entirely?
Title might ought to be modified to more accurate reflect the level of factual knowledge.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
so this was speculation and not based on any information from the club personnel?
Might temporary, might be permanent?
Might be cost cutting, might be something else entirely?
Title might ought to be modified to more accurate reflect the level of factual knowledge.
It's definitely permanent...that much I confirmed. I just didn't think so ask why the change was made.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by jchiguy1
Very disappointing and unprofessional. That club was not appealing to begin with and now I have no reason to use the already overcrowded club with single bathrooms....Thank you for the heads up.
Agreed on the bathrooms. I just use the first available bathroom there. I get looks from women that stand in line when I get out of the women's bathroom but if I need to go, I need to go.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It's definitely permanent...that much I confirmed. I just didn't think so ask why the change was made.
Probably not too tough to figure out why the change was made. Just continuing the trend.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Probably not too tough to figure out why the change was made. Just continuing the trend.
Indiscriminate slash and burn. Managers likely are being given mandatory cost-cutting targets when there is literally nothing left to cut.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
That's my speculation - no other logical reason to suddenly stop a service that was in place for years.

I will do my best to confirm the reasoning when I'm back in the club (unless another member will be there before me and can ask), but given the other changes, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then that's probably what happened.

I do take exception to the comments upthread about this being a bad club. Yes it's small, but it was designed with the Continental operation at that time in mind, and with the space offered by the airport. It has nothing to do with today's United, or even Smisek.

The staff here are among the best in the network, and club is always clean and well maintained, and while it can get crowded nowadays due to more flight activity, it's better than no club, right? I'm less concerned about cutting the club wifi than I am about Smisek and team getting rid of the club location altogether.

...and there are public bathrooms about 30 feet away from the club entrance if there is a long line inside the club. Yes those public bathrooms are gross and disgusting, but they fix a problem in a pinch.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
i was in the club on thanskgiving day - it wasnt crowded at all, the staff was great, and the wifi (although the public airport wifi) worked just fine for me - no lag whatsoever (i even did some facetiming off it).

you have to remember the club was for continental originally - and now that the airline has doubled in size, it did not double the space to correspond to the increased size of the airline. atlhough it was empty the day i was there, i can see that it would become quite crowded quite quickly...
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by Kacee
Apparently these geniuses have not figured out that as they continue to cut the UC amenities, fewer and fewer customers will pony up for memberships..
This EXACTLY sums up what's wrong at United. A bean counter sits in an office and says "we bring in x dollars for club memberships, and our costs are Y, so if we cut this cost, then our profit goes up". The problem being that the revenue drops each time as another level of dissatisfaction creeps in, and more customers leave.

Why is it that Delta keeps spending money on improvements and their profit continues to dwarf the rest of the industry, yet United keeps cutting everything, and profit lags the industry. Can't these idiots see this ?????? really ???

It's amazing, and it makes me feel awful for the UA employees who now hate their jobs

Last edited by CO_Nonrev_elite; Dec 27, 2013 at 12:44 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
Open Wi-Fi is open Wi-Fi. There's zero difference in terms of privacy and security between UC-operated Wi-Fi and airport-operated Wi-Fi. So the precautions you mention apply universally to any Wi-Fi network that isn't using WPA2. For that matter, it applies to wired networks as well (e.g. hotel rooms). And if you're paranoid about the NSA, it applies universally to everything on the Internet, no matter the physical connection.

Incidentally, HTTPS provides strong encryption. The problem with HTTPS is not always being 100% certain who you're talking to on the other end of that encryption. If you manually type "https://..." into your browser, and your browser implements certificate pinning, you probably have a decent chance of being safe.
You are assuming that the site in question is using strict content and the https is for everything on the site and the site uses POST for all communication.

I made the decision to no longer give United my money for the club, after the whole Beverage Downgrade this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.