Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage loading delays at EWR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Titanium
Baggage loading delays at EWR

Was on United 86 (PVG) on Saturday, the 21st. Check in was crazy -- even the Global Services area had overflowing crowd. Didnt help that there were only 2 agents on duty with one of them on the phone for 30 minutes trying to resolve an infant ticket issue. there were bags piled up just outside the GS area waiting to be taken into the back.

On the plane and doors close. Sitting there for a few minutes when the captain comes on and says we have a 15-20 minute delay as we are currently missing 174 bags that are supposed to be on this flight. Well 90 minutes later we finally leave once all of the bags are onboard.

Flight attendants said this has been happening all week and this is due to cutbacks/outsourcing at EWR -- any ideas if that is true?

Flight was 90 minutes late arriving into PVG so had quite a few people who missed connections.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ny747
Was on United 86 (PVG) on Saturday, the 21st. Check in was crazy -- even the Global Services area had overflowing crowd. Didnt help that there were only 2 agents on duty with one of them on the phone for 30 minutes trying to resolve an infant ticket issue. there were bags piled up just outside the GS area waiting to be taken into the back.

On the plane and doors close. Sitting there for a few minutes when the captain comes on and says we have a 15-20 minute delay as we are currently missing 174 bags that are supposed to be on this flight. Well 90 minutes later we finally leave once all of the bags are onboard.

Flight attendants said this has been happening all week and this is due to cutbacks/outsourcing at EWR -- any ideas if that is true?

Flight was 90 minutes late arriving into PVG so had quite a few people who missed connections.
When I flew out the Friday before Thanksgiving EWR had exactly the same issue, hundreds of bags piled up by the Premier checkin. Our bags made our flight (we were pretty early) but it looked like a massive failure in the making...
Old Dec 25, 2013, 6:40 am

I had an international return flight that connected through EWR on the 22nd. Flight from Europe landed at EWR on time. Flight from EWR to home was delayed over an hour. Once I made it onto the plane, we were delayed for another hour. The attendance announced that we had over 60 bags to load. After 20 minutes, passengers looked out the window and loading was complete. We did not pull back from the gate for another 40 minutes.

In all, I spent over 4 1/2 hours in EWR from the time I re-cleared security.

I was very frustrated that my bag did not make it home with me.

Getting my bag was a completely different nightmare that I intend to communicate with United.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
IAD too

I had a mechanical at IAD on 12/21. Once the plane was cleared to go, they had us start boarding. That took 30 minutes. Once we were done boarding, they realized they hadn't loaded any bags, and the bag folks started to arrive and load us up.

That cost us an extra 30 minutes. They could have easily loaded bags at the same time as we were boarding, and they would have been done at about the same time.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:02 am

Heard the same thing. Supposedly they started laying off ground workers in Newark a week or so ago and as a result have become short of staff during the busiest travel season of the year. Also not sure if true, because that doesn't seem like a very logical decision, but it would explain some of the delays due to baggage handling.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
Heard the same thing. Supposedly they started laying off ground workers in Newark a week or so ago and as a result have become short of staff during the busiest travel season of the year. Also not sure if true, because that doesn't seem like a very logical decision, but it would explain some of the delays due to baggage handling.
Remember, Jeff wants $2B in cuts, so if that makes flights late, so what?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:54 am

I've heard that EWR implemented a new baggage system and that it's a disaster. It would be nice to hear some official source on this as my family is traveling with checked bags through EWR in a few weeks.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Not true. This all stems from the bag sortation that was changed.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:11 am
RNE

Delayed international departures at EWR are a blessing for us poor saps who have to connect at that wretched airport. When our incoming flights are inevitable delayed by ATC we have a fighting chance at making the connection. ^
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:13 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by CALMSP
Wonder if (hah hah) someone will admit that they were wrong and have it changed back.....

PS: Does the word sortation really exist?!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CALMSP
Ah, so after discarding a passenger boarding system that worked in favor of a massive CF, the savvy management of UA decided to do the same thing for baggage?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:23 am

Rumor among the employee group is that the baggage loaders were told a week before Christmas there would be hundreds of furloughs coming, with many of those still keeping their jobs going to part-time hours. Heard this in SFO as well.

AD
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
UA's Twitter account on the 22nd had many PAX arriving to their destinations without their baggage as well. Never saw so many Tweets regarding baggage on UA Twitters account.. Happy Holidays and Safe Travels.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:46 am
RNE

Originally Posted by 1P
Does the word sortation really exist?!
sor·ta·tion
sôrˈtāSHən/
noun
1. (esp. in data processing) the process of sorting or its result.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Gold
I checked skis two week ago at EWR at the non-premier check-in desks on level 2 (didn't feel like hauling them upstairs). I got the bag tagged and then wheeled the bag down to the end and dropped it off. I stood around for 15 minutes watching the skis in the corner and no action for my "oversized bag".

I had get over to B for my GE interview so I couldn't stick around to watch it get taken away. 40 minutes later, I returned back to C and sure enough my bag still hadn't been taken away. Waiting around for 15 more minutes, it was finally wheeled away.

Over an hour to get a bag into the system is a little ridiculous. The whole time there were plenty of guys standing around pushing the carts with normal sized luggage to elevators. I guess that's why UA requires bags to be checked 45 minutes prior at EWR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.