Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for Rebooking Trip 12/22

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Premier, Avis-Prefered, USA Hockey Referee-Level 3
Advice for Rebooking Trip 12/22

Just got the dreaded automated call from United that my first flight tomorrow has been canceled. Would love if they would have told me they auto re-booked me but was told to call for arrangements. Having no status, due to high demand wait time is estimated at 60+ minutes. Love traveling during the holidays when there's weather!

Ok, end of rant. Here are the basics:

Original travel itinerary: STL-ORD-SFO
# Passengers: 4 (2 adults, 2 kids under 7 years)
STL-ORD (UA5026) flight canceled. Looking for options online through IAH or DEN but nothing coming up. Seems all those flights are booked.

Online, only options I'm seeing are late afternoon flights through either ORD or IAD that get into SFO ~9:30PM-11PM.

There is a non-stop STL-SFO option (UA 1273) that leaves 6:53 PM. Seems to have open seats in E+.

Questions:
1. Any chance they'll assign us E+ seats on the non-stop option without associated fees given they canceled our out bound?
2. Anyone have access to better availability tool to see if any options available for earlier travel (morning)?
3. Chances of UA moving us over to other airline that can get us out earlier?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions. I'm still on hold, so will be checking for responses periodically
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by Indy Racer
Questions:
1. Any chance they'll assign us E+ seats on the non-stop option without associated fees given they canceled our out bound?
2. Anyone have access to better availability tool to see if any options available for earlier travel (morning)?
3. Chances of UA moving us over to other airline that can get us out earlier?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions. I'm still on hold, so will be checking for responses periodically
1. If you are not eligible for E+, and E+ seats are all that's left, yes, they will assign you those but only at the gate (after they've had a chance to try to upsell everyone and her dog to them). Until then you will only have confirmed space but not necessarily a seat assignment.

2. Sorry, can't help you there.

3. Virtually no chance. Weather is not something that airlines control, and as such their obligations due to weather impacts are fairly minimal and do not include getting you there on the next available flight on any carrier.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Premier, Avis-Prefered, USA Hockey Referee-Level 3
After 45 minutes on hold, had a very nice agent re-book us on the non-stop and put us in E+. So we'll be 6 hours delayed, but it's better than the alternative!
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

I looked on Expert Flyer and the UA flights from STL are all down to Y0 or Y1. Looks like you have a lot of regional jet flights from there. The nonstop just before 7pm is the first routing with enough seats (Y9).

AA does have availability on a couple routings. Earliest is at 2:10pm with a 40 min connection at ORD. Both of those flights show Y7 which is the maximum AA displays. There are later flights with seats if you miss the SFO connection. I have no idea if UA would move you over, though.

As I was typing this 4 seats just opened on the 0723 UA departure to ORD and also 4 seats on the 1310 SFO flight. Call and grab these NOW.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flightstats.com has a free availability checker. Options through DEN or IAH have zero or only 1 or 2 seats showing available. I do currently see an option through ORD with exactly Y4 availability. Flights 3632 and 1267 get you into SFO at 3:55PM
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
After 45 minutes on hold, had a very nice agent re-book us on the non-stop and put us in E+. So we'll be 6 hours delayed, but it's better than the alternative!
Great to hear UA extended you that courtesy!
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by WindFlyer
Great to hear UA extended you that courtesy!
Somewhat nice. There were only 2 non E+ seats so they would have ended up in E+ anyways
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I looked on Expert Flyer and the UA flights from STL are all down to Y0 or Y1. Looks like you have a lot of regional jet flights from there..
Funny to think 10 years ago STL had dozens of mainline flights departing a day. How quickly things can change...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.