Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Beer/Wine Discontinued Jan 1, 2014 for transpacific/asia flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Beer/Wine Discontinued Jan 1, 2014 for transpacific/asia flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by wethereyet
Folks, I don't think this is nearly the issue it's being made out to be. For the people flying in F/BF they will see no change.

Most FAs will even tell you that on TPACs to Asia that alcohol comsumption is not nearly as much as on other routes.

While it does make UA look cheap, as far as calcuated risk I don't think UA will lose anything over this.
Which is exactly what UA is aiming for--a couple cuts a month and in a year or two Spirit becomes a full service carrier in comparison and the remaining UA diehards remain blissfully ignorant of the downgrade in service level.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Out of syd and flying to the USA
UA will now be the ONLY carrier not offering free booze

Its a nice way of standing out....
...and I'd guess, until the 777 starts...the only carrier not offering seatback IFE in Y. Confident in the competitive product...LOL!
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Which is exactly what UA is aiming for--a couple cuts a month and in a year or two Spirit becomes a full service carrier in comparison and the remaining UA diehards remain blissfully ignorant of the downgrade in service level.
But unlike other services where they actually cut them (FF miles, MM upgrades, etc) if you want wine/beer/spirits you have to pay but at least you can still get it.

And if you are a UA FF you get some drink coupons so that takes the sting out of it.

I'm just being realistic that the risk to UA for doing this, and any negative consumer action to leave the carrier is minimal at best.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Actually, I'd prefer to buy food on international flights compared to the sh*t that's served now in Y. I have had some meals that were completely inedible. There was a 1"x1" piece of what appeared to be bark in my meal out of Dubai earlier this month. The FA told me that it was a spice and appeared in Indian food. It was definitely nothing I've ever seen (I'm a cook, have cooked Indian food and eat Indian food a lot, including in India). I try to bring several sandwiches on board. Just hoping my GPUs clear next year. I'll be close to 1MM and then I'm fleeing.

I think I have left over drink coupons for my flights to SIN in Jan and back in Feb. I'll need them even more to continue to fly UA.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold
With HKG opening next year, I wish AA would get a 737 from IAH to DFW. I can't stand a MD80 and would move over to AA more for TPAC travel with decent metal. I don't fly on hardware older than I am.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by richfish13
With HKG opening next year, I wish AA would get a 737 from IAH to DFW. I can't stand a MD80 and would move over to AA more for TPAC travel with decent metal. I don't fly on hardware older than I am.
I'd take a Mad Dog over The Devil's Chariot (aka CRJ) any day of the week.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by manneca
Actually, I'd prefer to buy food on international flights compared to the sh*t that's served now in Y. I have had some meals that were completely inedible. There was a 1"x1" piece of what appeared to be bark in my meal out of Dubai earlier this month. The FA told me that it was a spice and appeared in Indian food. It was definitely nothing I've ever seen (I'm a cook, have cooked Indian food and eat Indian food a lot, including in India). I try to bring several sandwiches on board. Just hoping my GPUs clear next year. I'll be close to 1MM and then I'm fleeing.

I think I have left over drink coupons for my flights to SIN in Jan and back in Feb. I'll need them even more to continue to fly UA.
Forgive me, but if you're planning on bolting the moment you hit 1MM, what's the point of earning it? Isn't that like saving up for a Ferrari and then never driving it? I suppose in that case, at least you've purchased something of tangible value and could re-sell...

FWIW, I do agree that on a 10+ hour flight, if I want to enjoy a glass of wine, I'd rather pay $7-10 for something decent than drink prison toilet wine for free.

Originally Posted by richfish13
AA has over 400 mainline narrowbodies on order currently, and of the 8347 miles comprising IAH-DFW-HKG, exactly 224 of them would be operated by a MD80...

Originally Posted by transportprof
I'd take a Mad Dog over The Devil's Chariot (aka CRJ) any day of the week.
^

glitch in the matrix? somehow posted twice

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 21, 2013 at 9:38 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 21, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Left 12 years ago 50k short of 1MM status and never looked back!
Old Dec 21, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
Unsurprising, but disappointing.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Folks, I don't think this is nearly the issue it's being made out to be. For the people flying in F/BF they will see no change.

Most FAs will even tell you that on TPACs to Asia that alcohol comsumption is not nearly as much as on other routes.

While it does make UA look cheap, as far as calcuated risk I don't think UA will lose anything over this.
Lose anything ?? On the contrary, it looks like they have identified a significant fraction of their customers can't go for a day without a drink, so capitalism would require prices be doubled at least....
Old Dec 21, 2013, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Forgive me, but if you're planning on bolting the moment you hit 1MM, what's the point of earning it? Isn't that like saving up for a Ferrari and then never driving it? I suppose in that case, at least you've purchased something of tangible value and could re-sell...
Star Gold for life means you get treated decently on the rest of the alliance. If I ever reach 1MM, that's all I'll use it for, the way UA is headed.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Our friend Jeff strikes again. What will he do next ?
Falls into the category of: Oh Magoo what will you do next.

Again.

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
It can go so much further:

7. Start charging for alcohol in J and F
They already do this in the lounges.

And if you are a UA FF you get some drink coupons so that takes the sting out of it.
I get 10 chits a year and normally do 5-6 TPACs. You're telling me it's a legit move because I can still get 1 drink per direction?

Yes, i can see your point, a free drink every 10 hours is certainly a very nice way of UA saying welcome on board.

I'm just being realistic that the risk to UA for doing this, and any negative consumer action to leave the carrier is minimal at best.
Oh but there will be hell to pay onboard for the FAs when unknowing pax are informed of this new policy.

And don't kid yourself, it will likely have downstream effects.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Perhaps UA misread DL's press release.

Now Delta is again upping the ante by not only offering free beer and wine to all patrons, but now giving free spirits to all customers on most international flights! Flights which will have free spirits include all flights from the USA to Asia, Europe, intra-Asia, and most South America flights. Flights to/from Canada, the Caribbean, and Central America and select destinations in South America are excluded from this upgraded offering. To know if your flight is one of the many with free drinks, check on delta.com and verify there is BusinessElite service instead of standard First Class. If there is, then you will be drinking for free at 30,000 feet!

I am happy to say, that the "D" in Delta now stands for Drinks, so DRINK UP! Will other major carriers follow? I sure hope so, because other than ultra conservative Saudia, US based airlines are some of the world's only major airlines (not including low cost carriers) who do not provide free booze in the section of the plane where it's needed most to cope with ever shrinking seats!
http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...l-Flights.html
Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

Duh, yes we know it doesn't apply to premium classes, but most of us don't fly in the front cabins on our MRs, have wealthy employers or have SWUs to upgrade with. Any civilized airline would at least provide comp wine or beer with dinner even to the peons in the back. Yes, we 1Ks get 10 inflight drink coupons, but with the difficulty in getting CPUs domestically, and the high cost of W fares internationally, these don't go very far. At AA I get comp alcohol when I'm in the back as an ExecPlat and a lot more CPUs. I think my years as a 1K are drawing to a close...
Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Lose anything ?? On the contrary, it looks like they have identified a significant fraction of their customers can't go for a day without a drink, so capitalism would require prices be doubled at least....
The ethical path would be to steer those passengers who express a need to drink to AA. :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.