Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Beer/Wine Discontinued Jan 1, 2014 for transpacific/asia flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Beer/Wine Discontinued Jan 1, 2014 for transpacific/asia flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Seems like they changed their website overnight:

United Economy on flights to Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, South America and the South Pacific:
-Complimentary soft drinks, juices, tea and freshly brewed coffee
-Wines, beer and spirits available for purchase
Old Dec 21, 2013, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp

United Economy on flights to Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, South America and the South Pacific:

Booze is the only thing that makes UA 747 and 787 bearable in Y... CHEAP
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Hmmmm,. No heads up from UA Insider? I think it's an important change we won't like.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:07 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by cruisr
Hmmmm,. No heads up from UA Insider? I think it's an important change we won't like.
You'll have to wait until next Friday at 4:55PM
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp

Sneaky....
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
If I were United, I would have played this totally different. Stats out there show a lot of the "unruly pax" issues are fueled by alcohol. They could have asked FAA to restrict all sales and service of booze in the name of "safety" and then blamed it on the FAA.

But, as one who rarely drinks on board, I give my coupons away and often to a stranger in the gate area.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
This is really unfortunate and further cheapens the image of United, if this was even possible. I remember when the merger was announced, I had hoped that United would turn into a great airline. It's so sad to see what has happened to it. Regardless of if you were a UA or CO fan, this new airline seems to have combined the worst of the two and created a disaster. I have never flown Delta Airlines, but in comparison, Delta appears to be a much more customer service oriented airline announcing several actual improvements lately (I'm not saying they are perfect, but unlike UA, I've actually heard about some real enhancement on Delta). I also have a gut feeling that American is turning a corner and momentum is building there on creating a great product. I do hope United turns around and improves soon and that this tumultuous period is simply temporary, but I fear that United is really digging itself into a giant hole that will get more and more difficult to get out of as time goes on. For the past five years, I have only ever flown United or Continental out of loyalty to the airline, but that has now changed. My last three flights were on Jet Blue and I have several upcoming trips that I previously would have flown on UA no questions asked, even if it was more expensive, but will now most likely fly on other carriers. What a shame.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Ugh. It' a little sad but this may be the straw. Delta has pretty good service out of MSP and their airline is run far better now than when they .... all over their customers in the NW-DL merger and I switched to CO and I can guarantee myself Diamond with Amex MQM bonuses.

I do 3-5 TPAC trips a year. My upgrades don't clear enough to justify the W fare, so my means of making 16 hours in Y bearable is wine, sleep. Guess I'll just add $200 to United's round-trip airfare (since wine is purchased with post-tax dollars) and fly a partner if it doesn't work out.

Or United could make my GPUs work on any fare class and maybe I'd roll the dice.

I have some long-term hope that in a couple years United will pull its head out of its .... Post DL-NW merger DL went on a cutting spree and seems to have eventually figured out it wasn't working. Maybe SMI/J can learn from others mistakes without actually making them himself....
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:48 pm

and yet, the beverage page is unchanged - beer/wine still free trans-Pac:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Far From Home
and yet, the beverage page is unchanged - beer/wine still free trans-Pac:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx

There is some inconsistencies:

http://www.united.com/web/en-Us/cont...y/default.aspx
United Economy on flights to Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, South America and the South Pacific

Onboard amenities
  • Spacious seating available in Economy Plus® offering up to 5 inches of additional legroom
  • Blankets and pillows for use during your flight
  • Meals and beverages

Complimentary soft drinks, juices, tea and freshly brewed coffee
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Entertainment
  • A variety of entertainment options including audio selections, television programming and movie selections
  • Complimentary headsets
  • A complimentary copy of Hemispheres magazine
  • Duty Free shopping onboard
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by xkr0p
how much further can the devaluation continue? i mean seriously...
It can go so much further:

1. Charge for carry-ons, per pound
2. Charge for food in Y on international routes
3. Charge for non-alcoholic beverages
4. Charge for aisle and window seat assignments (incl for elites)
5. Charge for lost baggage claim request
6. Charge for lavatory use
7. Start charging for alcohol in J and F
8. Charge for passenger per pound, in addition to basic ticket price
9. Discontinue all free IrrOps rerouting. IrrOps are treated like standard changed tickets, charge for food and hotel accommodations during IrrOps, including a mark-up for "convenience."
10. Checked bags charged per pound
11. Charge a penalty to any passenger who does not purchase duty free on international flights
12. Charge for in-flight magazine
13. Charge for expedited elite security and check-in
14. Charge premium for flights operated by newer planes (787)
15. Charge for pillows and blankets
16. Charge for use of seat belt extender
17. Charge for lap infants
18. "Convenience" fee for use of airport kiosk or OLCI
19. Charge for use of infant bassinets
20. Charge passengers a "waiting time" fee for delayed flights (because these cost the company money)
21. Charge passengers for using the gate waiting area
22. Make the fuel surcharge permanent and applicable to all flights
23. Change the rules so that the value of non-refundable tickets may not be used on new routing, except if the value of the ticket is less than the change fee
24. Domestic change fee goes to $300, international to $1,000
25. SDC fee to $250
26. Wine & Beer goes to $29.95 per drink

etc...
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Folks, I don't think this is nearly the issue it's being made out to be. For the people flying in F/BF they will see no change.

Most FAs will even tell you that on TPACs to Asia that alcohol comsumption is not nearly as much as on other routes.

While it does make UA look cheap, as far as calcuated risk I don't think UA will lose anything over this.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wethereyet
Folks, I don't think this is nearly the issue it's being made out to be. For the people flying in F/BF they will see no change.

Most FAs will even tell you that on TPACs to Asia that alcohol comsumption is not nearly as much as on other routes.

While it does make UA look cheap, as far as calcuated risk I don't think UA will lose anything over this.
They why do it? If what you say is true the perception is worse than the reality so the money they will save will be more than offset by lost business.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by wethereyet

Probably ... although it does make its pretty bad Y product look even worse. Lucky agrees...

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...onomy-flights/

Really what actually amazes me (and admittedly I’m easily amazed, but…) is that someone can say “we are confident that our overall product remains competitive in this market.” Have you seen economy class on United’s 747s? And then there are airlines like Singapore, that have modern cabins, amazing IFE, friendly service, and edible food.

I guess the two billion dollars in cuts at United has to come from somewhere.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Out of syd and flying to the USA
UA will now be the ONLY carrier not offering free booze

Its a nice way of standing out....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.