Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Beer/Wine Discontinued Jan 1, 2014 for transpacific/asia flights

Complimentary Beer/Wine Discontinued Jan 1, 2014 for transpacific/asia flights

Old Dec 22, 13, 11:33 pm

But here's an honest question for airline folks to ponder: Aside from the possibility that a loss of even one revenue seat per flight eliminates the cost savings completely, doesn't the free distribution of a little alcohol help the bottom line in other ways?

Perhaps people are more comfortable with free drinks and 1" less pitch, allowing a full row more seats per plane. Or maybe a couple drinks and they don't notice the cheaper food or the lack of IFE. Wouldn't a little wine SAVE an airline $ because it extends the life of their old worn out Y seats?
Old Dec 23, 13, 7:23 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by danville 1K View Post
Please don't! You're just giving them more ideas.....
Guys, honestly, you think UA's management is so dumb that they can't figure out this on their own? Don't be such naive please...
Old Dec 23, 13, 3:06 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Denver Enzo View Post
Perhaps people are more comfortable with free drinks and 1" less pitch, allowing a full row more seats per plane. Or maybe a couple drinks and they don't notice the cheaper food or the lack of IFE. ....
You mean like that mythical frog in the pot of slowly heating water?
Old Dec 23, 13, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
I remember when they brought it in, without any announcement that I noticed, for a TATL flight that I started in December (free drinks) and returned in January (not free) and just thought they are nickel and diming. The problem for me is I am 1K and cannot be bothered to start again with another airline so it does not deter me. I just think it is cheap and is just another part of the race to the bottom.
but you keep flying them, so why shouldn't they make the change? it's smart business. they make more money, they didn't lose a customer, and their shareholders see the stock continue to skyrocket.
Old Dec 23, 13, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I hope they dont do it. They dont know what they are losing. It could drive away many Asian customers, especially Japanese. Once the word spreads, yields/loads could suffer. There are other ways to save money, may be increase the oneway redemptions by 10%, DL does not even have oneway redemptions.
Old Dec 23, 13, 4:41 pm

It seems to me that if all these predictions about United losing customers are true, the company will go under and merge with Delta or AA. I wonder how many people here would view that as a win?!
Old Dec 23, 13, 4:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium View Post
It seems to me that if all these predictions about United losing customers are true, the company will go under and merge with Delta or AA. I wonder how many people here would view that as a win?!
if you want to pursue why that isn't a realistic shortterm outcome, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...next-year.html
Old Dec 23, 13, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Guys, honestly, you think UA's management is so dumb that they can't figure out this on their own?
Yes.
Old Dec 23, 13, 5:55 pm

Programs: United 1k
sorry but does this affect micronesia flights?

(japan guam
guam manila etc)

thanks
Old Dec 23, 13, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Guys, honestly, you think UA's management is so dumb that they can't figure out this on their own? Don't be such naive please...
Duh, YES
Old Dec 24, 13, 3:59 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kettle1 View Post
My question. Why does anyone still "choose" UA? Why?
Because shrill hyperbole aside, very few people will actually make carrier decisions based on whether there is free alcohol served in Y.

Rational fliers should estimate the number of ill-advised drinks they will consume on the flight, multiply by $8, add that to the price of the ticket, and then make their purchasing decision.

I don't see many people doing that much drinking on flights anymore. And are people really saying that HVFs would really get in a huff about free sub-par alcohol? I'd more likely imagine that what HVFs really want is the ability to buy top-shelf alcohol on-board.
Old Dec 24, 13, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
I would like free alcohol. The problem I have is that it is just nickel and diming. Is it enough to make me leave, good lord no. Does that make it a "sensible business decision" because "no-one's leaving"....of course not. It's a bit like a crash happening and someone saying "well no-one died". So that's alright then.
Old Dec 24, 13, 5:53 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lensman View Post
Because shrill hyperbole aside, very few people will actually make carrier decisions based on whether there is free alcohol served in Y.
I authorize trips for a few of my direct reportees who do not have C-class entitlement, fly once a year and are not interested too much in FF programs (yes - they do not exist - not the whole world is on FT). Quite a few of them requested to fly TATL on AB (Air Berlin - oneWorld carrier, but also partially owned by Etihad) only because booze (including hard booze) is for free.
Old Dec 24, 13, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1P; HH Diamond; MR Gold
I see what you did there!

Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
The ethical path would be to steer those passengers who express a need to drink to AA. :-:
Old Dec 25, 13, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by bryanwallace View Post
sorry but does this affect micronesia flights?

(japan guam
guam manila etc)

thanks
Alcohol is not free in economy on the GUM/MNL flight

Search this Thread
Search Engine: