Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA unaccompanied minor (UCM) policy - nonstop only, age (now 14 & lower), same cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The UA age for mandatory UCM was 12 until Dec 2013 when it was increased to 15, which them was moved to 14 in Dec 2017

UCM reduced from 15 years to 14 years in December 2017
United's unaccompanied minor policy
Children ages 5-14 (as of the travel date) who travel without a parent, a legal guardian or someone who is at least 18 years old are considered unaccompanied minors and are required to use our unaccompanied minor service. These young travelers are subject to certain travel guidelines and requirements, including:
  • Unaccompanied minors can only travel on nonstop flights operated by United or United Express®. Codeshare flights and other flights operated by our partner airlines are not eligible for unaccompanied minor travel.
  • United does not offer unaccompanied minor service connecting to or from other airlines' flights.
  • Children younger than 5 years of age are unable to travel as unaccompanied minors, even if they are flying with an older unaccompanied child.
  • Unaccompanied minor service is not available for children ages 15 and older. Young adults ages 15 to 17 may travel alone on any United- or United Express-operated flight.
  • A service charge of $150 for each direction of travel will apply for using the unaccompanied minor service.
More detailed description on United's Jetstream: United’s Unaccompanied Minor (UMNR) policy

From COC
Unaccompanied Minor means a Child/Minor 5 to 14 years of age when traveling alone or not accompanied on the same flight and in the same compartment by a companion Passenger at least 18 years of age or with a Legal Guardian or parent.
COC Rule 13 Acceptance of Children/Minors and Infants
  1. Children/Minors/Infants Traveling Accompanied
    1. Children under the age of five (5) must be “accompanied” by an Adult Passenger or the child’s Parent/Legal Guardian on the same flight and in the same compartment. UA reserves the right to require and charge the applicable service charge for Unaccompanied Minor service when a child age five (5) to fourteen (14) is traveling with a passenger who is not at least 18 years old or the child’s Parent/Legal Guardian.
United's unaccompanied minor policy starting Dec 2015 - had increased mandatory UCM age to 15

Children ages 5-15 (as of the travel date) who travel without a parent, a legal guardian or someone who is at least 18 years old are considered unaccompanied minors and are required to use our unaccompanied minor service...

What if you need to book a underage minor on a separate PNR but will be traveling yourself (or some other adult) on same trip?
Yes this is allowed without an UCM fee per UA's instructions to TA for the case of a minor on a separate PNR -- note this can only be done with a TA or UA agent, not online
Children and adults traveling together on separate reservations
When children and adults are traveling together on separate reservations, the unaccompanied minor policy does not apply.
  • To ensure that United identifies the child as accompanied, at the time the PNR is booked, the following OSI must be added to the child's PNR: OSI UA TCP WITH ADULT IN PNR (adult's United record locator).
The other solution some have used is to book as on adult online, enter a adult date of birth and straighten this out at the airport

from United"s Jetstream: United’s Unaccompanied Minor (UMNR) policy

Archive: UA unaccompanied minor (UCM) policy {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA unaccompanied minor (UCM) policy - nonstop only, age (now 14 & lower), same cabin

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
How to give UA Constructive Criticism

I just booked a trip for my kids to fly TLV-SFO-TLV over the summer. I needed to pay the unaccompanied minor fee only for TLV-SFO as I'm flying back with them. I have not, however, booked my return ticket as I have a lot of travel coming up and have no idea when I'll be flying the TLV-SFO portion.

We did this same thing last year and it was rather easy. Apparently, they have changed their computer system at UA (according to the agents I spoke with) to make it harder to pay this only one direction. Overall took me three calls to UA and about 1 hr 20 minutes total on the phone just to book the tickets and the one way fee.

I'm guessing nobody at UA figured out when they changed the system that they would be making this much harder. What is the best way to tell them that they need to fix this? I do this at least once a year with my kids, but even for UA's sake - 1 hr 20 minutes of a passenger on the phone with agents making a booking is horrible efficiency for them.

Any suggestions on how to bring this up with UA so they'll actually fix it? Am I being delusional to think that they'll even care?
Old May 6, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by NYTA
I just booked a trip for my kids to fly TLV-SFO-TLV over the summer. I needed to pay the unaccompanied minor fee only for TLV-SFO as I'm flying back with them. I have not, however, booked my return ticket as I have a lot of travel coming up and have no idea when I'll be flying the TLV-SFO portion.

We did this same thing last year and it was rather easy. Apparently, they have changed their computer system at UA (according to the agents I spoke with) to make it harder to pay this only one direction. Overall took me three calls to UA and about 1 hr 20 minutes total on the phone just to book the tickets and the one way fee.

I'm guessing nobody at UA figured out when they changed the system that they would be making this much harder. What is the best way to tell them that they need to fix this? I do this at least once a year with my kids, but even for UA's sake - 1 hr 20 minutes of a passenger on the phone with agents making a booking is horrible efficiency for them.

Any suggestions on how to bring this up with UA so they'll actually fix it? Am I being delusional to think that they'll even care?
https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...lt.aspx?POS=US

No idea whether they'll care or not.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by physioprof
https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...lt.aspx?POS=US

No idea whether they'll care or not.
I suspect they won't but I filed a report anyway. Seems crazy that something so simple should take over an hour to book by phone.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I am trying to book an intl trip in April with my child on an award and me on a paid ticket. UA wants to charge me a UCM fee. I called and the agent said there was nothing she could do but suggested the best way to subvert this would be to enter a different DOB and call to have it changed later as info isn't sent to TSA/CBP until closer to the flight. Is that really the best solution? Will they in fact change the DOB for me after booking?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I am trying to book an intl trip in April with my child on an award and me on a paid ticket. UA wants to charge me a UCM fee. I called and the agent said there was nothing she could do but suggested the best way to subvert this would be to enter a different DOB and call to have it changed later as info isn't sent to TSA/CBP until closer to the flight. Is that really the best solution? Will they in fact change the DOB for me after booking?
That is what I did last year for my son.
I simply put in the wrong year and I figured I can also say it was a typo.
No one mentioned anything.
This was not international though, but I doubt it would be handled differently by the airline.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Just book the award ticket as an adult and use the correct DOB ... In my experience the adult/child flag is where the system looks vs. the DOB. I always did that and never had a prblem in this sort of situation.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
I thought to ask here about a situation I am trying to figure out:would like to book tickets for my wife and 3 children (1 year, 4 years, 12 years). Basically need 3 tickets but have miles only for 2.

This is an international trip to Europe.Was thinking to book revenue ticket for the 12 year old...but is there any way to link then the award tickets to this revenue ticket?Would that help?Obviuosly would be the same route.

thanks for your advice.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
This is an international trip to Europe.Was thinking to book revenue ticket for the 12 year old...but is there any way to link then the award tickets to this revenue ticket?Would that help?Obviuosly would be the same route.
With two different reservations you will have two different record locators. That's not a problem -- except if a flight is changed/canceled. In that case you'll simply need to mention to agent(s) that your group has multiple reservatins so they can coordinate any rebooking that is required. One can make notes in reservations to point to other reservations but agents won't necessarily see them.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I booked a paid ticket for me and award ticket for my son a couple of years ago and they arbitrarily changed his flight and I had to call in and ask to be put on the same flight. The two PNR (record locators) noted the record located for the other and that they were linked - but that is only useful if a human is reading them. If it were me I would have the 12 year old on the award ticket with one parent and the other parent have the paid ticket. In case of IRROPs at least the child is with one of the parents.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
That is the ideal situation how I handled it until now...but this time only 1 parent will fly onwards and both parents returning.This is why it is a new situation...
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You simply got a bad agent.

There is no reason that the two tickets must be booked into the same PNR in order for the UM fee not to be levied. This is completely routine and occurs not only in the award-cash situation but where a child of UM age is booked at some point after the parent. UA simply will not issue BP's until the counter at which point it can verify that the child and adult (need not be a parent) are both present.

Simply call back and start by booking the adult ticket. Then move on to the child. If you get any flack, ask for a supervisor.

There is no such thing as "linking." UA can and will enter PNR notes in each respective PNR noting the other passenger's record locator, but that is largely immaterial.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Just book the award ticket as an adult and use the correct DOB ... In my experience the adult/child flag is where the system looks vs. the DOB. I always did that and never had a prblem in this sort of situation.
The website wouldn't let me do this. I don't know why they ask for age when you have to type in DOB anyways. So I called and the very nice agent walked me through what he was doing on the phone, which was basically booking my kids with the wrong birthdays then going back and changing it as well as waiving the booking fee. He also mentioned a migration in front-end SHARES systems from EDR (?) to something that more closely resembles the customer view of the website as the reason he may have had to do this as he was a beta tester for the new system.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
problems splitting a minor off a reservation?

Hi all, question for you: My husband, 9 year-old daughter, and I are planning to fly IAH-LAX on 3/12. I booked it with my husband on his own reservation and then my daughter and I on a different reservation to maximize my husband's upgrade chances.

Of course, now I need to fly to LAX earlier that day for business, with my husband and daughter flying later on the original flight once she is done with school. What will happen if I split my nine year-old daughter off my record and then she has her own reservation and confirmation number? My husband will still be on the flight with her but I'm wondering if there would be flags when he tries to check her in.

I looked at just repurchasing the tickets but the fare has gone from $80 to over $500 each so that's not an option. Thanks for your help!

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Will become an UCM, Unaccompanied Minor, and will not be able to check-in until the airport. Fee will be waived if checking in at the airport with a parent on the same flights
JNelson113 and GUWonder like this.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
After you split the record, it might be wise to call in and have them link your daughter's UM passenger name record (PNR) with your husband's PNR in the remarks field as an Other Services Information (OSI) entry, such as:

TCP2 with Lastname/Firstname *FYH5TK

​​​​TCP2 = To Complete a Party of 2
(I just made up a random record locator.)

Then have your husband call and do the same on his PNR.
JNelson113 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.