Ugly behavior by FA near arrival

Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Ugly behavior by FA near arrival

I was an economy plus pax on a UA flight from LAS nonstop to IAD on Saturday. I was assigned seat 07D. 07E and 07F remained empty. I enjoyed the space and comfort of all three. About fifteen minutes before landing a fellow from in back came and asked me if anyone was sitting in either of the two empty seats next to me. I answered "No". I told him he was welcome to sit there. He told me he had a very tight connection at IAD. He had been on a nonstop to EWR that had been cancelled. (I knew of two that had been cancelled). A FA immediately came and directed him to return to his originally assigned seat. He explained his plight (last possible connection of the day) but she was steadfast.
We were descending through light chop over the mountains to the west of Dulles. I wouldn't think of asking a pax to get up and move. I am thinking safety. I understand the airline's concern for his fifteen minutes of unpaid economy plus.
The FA came by two more times and directed his to go back to the rear of the aircraft.
We landed and parked at a "D" gate. For whatever reason the boarding door didn't open for an additional fifteen minutes. I feared that UA had summoned law enforcement to our gate to nab him for his transgression. Since I was terminating at Dulles I held back in favor of others like him who had connections or were dependent on public transit at Dulles which tends to shut down kind of early at night.
I didn't see this guy as I deplaned later.
I am disappointed with the UA crew for being to small minded in this situation. I have seen other crews bring pax forward just prior to landing to help them get a head start on a close connection.
What do you think?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I guess I would have asked the FA for permission to move up prior to doing so.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by southtahoe
I guess I would have asked the FA for permission to move up prior to doing so.
Why?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although it's usually better to act first and beg forgiveness later, that's not always a good idea when dealing with the prison matrons of the sky. He might have fared better if he'd asked the FAs if it was ok if he moved to the E+ seat 15 minutes before touchdown so as to increase his chances of making the connection.

I agree that cutting someone a little bit of slack in those last 15 minutes would have been very reasonable, and the right thing to do. Passengers moving forward early in the flight should be moved back or made to pay. But in the last 15 minutes?

Ideally, with the growth of communication, flight attendants would be provided a list of those with tight connections and they could personally invite those passengers to the front of the aircraft for those last 15 minutes. Much better than the nonsense of asking everyone to remain seated so that someone in 44E can deplane first because they have a tight connection (I've seen that).
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I would have been angry had the FA allowed the passenger to move up. If he wanted to take advantages of being near the front of the plane for tight connections, he could have paid for it.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
On smaller equipment the forward cabin can be moved back for weight/balance so I would think being in your seat could be important.

Last edited by LaserSailor; Dec 16, 2013 at 2:18 pm
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Although it's usually better to act first and beg forgiveness later, that's not always a good idea when dealing with the prison matrons of the sky. He might have fared better if he'd asked the FAs if it was ok if he moved to the E+ seat 15 minutes before touchdown so as to increase his chances of making the connection.

I agree that cutting someone a little bit of slack in those last 15 minutes would have been very reasonable, and the right thing to do. Passengers moving forward early in the flight should be moved back or made to pay. But in the last 15 minutes?

Ideally, with the growth of communication, flight attendants would be provided a list of those with tight connections and they could personally invite those passengers to the front of the aircraft for those last 15 minutes. Much better than the nonsense of asking everyone to remain seated so that someone in 44E can deplane first because they have a tight connection (I've seen that).
Agreed -- although I have a feeling that more and more FAs are getting into trouble for not enforcing the E+ zone so there are more and more FAs being more aggressive about seating assignments in E+. I am now hearing the "purchase E+ for $70" announcement more routinely even on full flights.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:16 pm

The most optimistic read I can take here is that the pax was secretly a contestant on "The Amazing Race" and the flight attendant was an undercover member of the crew instructed to avoid a rehash of the outcome of the spring 2010 season ( http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...dan-pious.html ).
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:18 pm

It would never occur to me to ask anyone but the OP (sitting in the adjacent seat) in this situation. And anyone who thinks that people should have to pay for the privilege of deplaning early to catch their close connections in IRROPS should be <inappropriate comment removed>.

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 17, 2013 at 9:01 am Reason: TOS
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Always ask before moving, otherwise FA would need to enforce the propriety and exclusivity of E+.

Originally Posted by mherdeg
The most optimistic read I can take here is that the pax was secretly a contestant on "The Amazing Race" and the flight attendant was an undercover member of the crew instructed to avoid a rehash of the outcome of the spring 2010 season ( http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...dan-pious.html ).
I was thinking of exactly the same thing!! Then again, the brothers did ask before moving to business cabin, and it was within the last 20 minute of the flight, since the show specifically prohibit traveling in premium cabin.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
It would never occur to me to ask anyone but the OP (sitting in the adjacent seat) in this situation. And anyone who thinks that people should have to pay for the privilege of deplaning early to catch their close connections in IRROPS should be <inappropriate language removed>.
+1

The more I read FT the more I lose faith in my fellow man (and women). Absolutely no consideration for others.

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 17, 2013 at 9:02 am Reason: Quote
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Think too security

Originally Posted by Orion
I was an economy plus pax on a UA flight from LAS nonstop to IAD on Saturday. I was assigned seat 07D. 07E and 07F remained empty. I enjoyed the space and comfort of all three. About fifteen minutes before landing a fellow from in back came and asked me if anyone was sitting in either of the two empty seats next to me. I answered "No". I told him he was welcome to sit there. He told me he had a very tight connection at IAD. He had been on a nonstop to EWR that had been cancelled. (I knew of two that had been cancelled). A FA immediately came and directed him to return to his originally assigned seat. He explained his plight (last possible connection of the day) but she was steadfast.
We were descending through light chop over the mountains to the west of Dulles. I wouldn't think of asking a pax to get up and move. I am thinking safety. I understand the airline's concern for his fifteen minutes of unpaid economy plus.
The FA came by two more times and directed his to go back to the rear of the aircraft.
We landed and parked at a "D" gate. For whatever reason the boarding door didn't open for an additional fifteen minutes. I feared that UA had summoned law enforcement to our gate to nab him for his transgression. Since I was terminating at Dulles I held back in favor of others like him who had connections or were dependent on public transit at Dulles which tends to shut down kind of early at night.
I didn't see this guy as I deplaned later.
I am disappointed with the UA crew for being to small minded in this situation. I have seen other crews bring pax forward just prior to landing to help them get a head start on a close connection.
What do you think?
Never move up out of your seat without permission on a flight landing or taking off from or into DCA or Dulles. This is a security NO NO. Lucky the guy did not get even more push back. Just my two cents.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
On smaller equipment the forward cabin can be moved back for weight/balance so I would think being in your seat could be important.

I am fairly confident that a passenger moving a few rows forward in the 320/319/757/737s that UA uses on that route won't upset the balance, especially for landing. IME, even when pax are asked to rearrange themselves in the small RJs and props it's only for takeoff. I'd expect it's just an FA that left his/her common sense on the nigh stand at a layover hotel.

Originally Posted by bcj1949
Never move up out of your seat without permission on a flight landing or taking off from or into DCA or Dulles. This is a security NO NO. Lucky the guy did not get even more push back. Just my two cents.
I don't think anyone really cares about this any more (I haven't heard the announcements in years nor noticed the seat belt sign coming on any earlier). IMHO if this was a real security issue there are a many more airports where the aircraft come a lot closer to dense populations (LGA, JFK, BOS, MSP, ORD, LAX, etc..) that I'd be concerned about over IAD.

Last edited by kenn0223; Dec 16, 2013 at 2:58 pm
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bcj1949
WHY? Because of the "tururists"?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
This makes total sense to me. I believe that United is trying to make sure they aren't friendly in any way. Customer service isn't something we are paying for and thus, at United, will not receive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.