Search

Is Ch11 unavoidable for UA next year?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
I tend to agree with the other posters who think that this thread is silly and off base.
"Like too many companies, United is fixated on this strategy, even if it can’t make any money. Even if this strategy once drove it to bankruptcy."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhart...un-an-airline/
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Wait......isn't Ch11 the Spanish language movie channel? Is that the only IFE channel they will be offering in 2014? Rosetta Stone on my X-Mas list then.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: all
Originally Posted by TerryK
I think OP was reading news reports from 2008. As it is 2013 now, all airlines, including UA, are flying high. We won't see Ch11 for a major airlines for quite awhile.

UAUA Closed at $38.53, a far cry from $3 range where it was back in 2008-09.

wait..i see what the OP is saying about the all time low )

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=U...rce=undefined;
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I guess the question is: how long can United continue to charge like a premium carrier and serve like an LCC? As long as they can continue to do that, they'll be fine.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:35 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
C9 has already begun disappearing
Incorrect.

Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
On planes equipped with it, it hasn't been removed. It's simply not always on, same as it was with pmUA (i.e pilot's discretion).
Correct.

But facts are so boring compared to hyperbole.

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
There is nothing objective about an inflammatory headline that is baseless and terribly uninformed (Chapter 11 'unavoidable' 'next year').

A productive thread would be "What can UA do to win back $35mn of business"
Well-said.
I have never seen a less productive or balanced forum on FlyerTalk than this one since the merger.
Exceedingly tiresome, isn't it?

Originally Posted by eman13
...AA has been consistently cheaper...
Once again, over-stated hyperbole. True on some routes. Not true on others.

Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
Wait......isn't Ch11 the Spanish language movie channel? Is that the only IFE channel they will be offering in 2014?
No. Or was that an attempt at some sort of humor?

Originally Posted by sogboulder
I guess the question is: how long can United continue to charge like a premium carrier and serve like an LCC?
Begs the question.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pantanal
wait..i see what the OP is saying about the all time low )

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=U...rce=undefined;
You are quite confused regarding what I meant by an all-time low:

"Here's why United was just named America's worst airline"
http://www.dailyfinance.com/on/unite...-toilet-paper/

"In a week that saw United Airlines (UAL) place dead last in a customer service ranking of the major airlines, a picture surfaced that gives some idea of how the airline earned that dubious distinction.

A member of travel forum FlyerTalk posted this picture, which he says he snapped in the lavatory of a United Airlines flight."
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Incorrect.
Fly a slimline A320 and get back to me. Be sure to tell me where the audio jack is for your Channel 9.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd

Begs the question.
No, it doesn't. As long as United can continue to provide LCC service for premium fares, they'll be successful. It's an interesting business model, and I daresay will fascinate MBA students for decades to come.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:52 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

...to provide LCC service....
THAT is question-begging and tendentious, unless you are seriously prepared to give evidence and argue for United's service, offerings, product, seating, etc., etc., being akin to, say, Spirit.

United is trying to carve out some interesting ways forward, but it's hardly doing so as an LCC imitator.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No, it doesn't. As long as United can continue to provide LCC service for premium fares, they'll be successful. It's an interesting business model, and I daresay will fascinate MBA students for decades to come.
Didn't NW try that? They had an enviable international network (particularly strong in Asia) but its premium products were a complete joke. NW didn't survive and DL went out of its way within the first year of the merger to wipe out the NW image.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by fly747first
UA recently announced $1 billion in cuts. If it is already underperforming in comparison to its rivals who have actively been improving their products and services, you actually think UA's revenues will improve?
UA can underperform its rivals indefinitely. The question asked in this thread is whether UA will go bankrupt in 2014. Of course, not! It is currently profitable, and probably has plenty of resources on its balance sheet to survive a string of actual money-losing quarters.

For some historical perspective, read the wikipedia summary of TWA's history. It took far more bad decisions to drive that one into the ground than UA will ever make.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bowgie
UA can underperform its rivals indefinitely. The question asked in this thread is whether UA will go bankrupt in 2014. Of course, not! It is currently profitable, and probably has plenty of resources on its balance sheet to survive a string of actual money-losing quarters.

For some historical perspective, read the wikipedia summary of TWA's history. It took far more bad decisions to drive that one into the ground than UA will ever make.
Wikipedia is not exactly a trustworthy source.

In the airline industry, anything is possible. Pan Am went under even when it once was the world's greatest airline. UA already had to terminate pension plans to survive and now it will compete head to head with two airlines in one that have long despised it.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: all
Not confused at all...try and have a little humor )...don't be so defensive on every posters comment ...

You did title this ..CH 11 unavoidable? for a company that is close to a 6 year high and in the same post you mention "all time low"

If wall street had your opinion, the stock would reflect that..

You are quite confused regarding what I meant by an all-time low:

"Here's why United was just named America's worst airline"
http://www.dailyfinance.com/on/unite...-toilet-paper/

"In a week that saw United Airlines (UAL) place dead last in a customer service ranking of the major airlines, a picture surfaced that gives some idea of how the airline earned that dubious distinction.

A member of travel forum FlyerTalk posted this picture, which he says he snapped in the lavatory of a United Airlines flight."
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pantanal
Not confused at all...try and have a little humor )...don't be so defensive on every posters comment ...

You did title this ..CH 11 unavoidable? for a company that is close to a 6 year high and in in the same post you mention "all time low"

If wall street had your opinion, the stock would reflect that..
Wall street analysts change their mind all the time, though.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bowgie
Ding, ding, ding.

For so many, inexplicably, they want UA to go bankrupt. Repeated often enough as a "fact," the desire-disguised-as-assertion becomes a "fact."

Wikipedia is not exactly a trustworthy source.
Not nuanced enough. Some entries are first rate, some are not, some are somewhere in-between.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.