Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Northeast Weather Waiver Dec 14-15

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The vast majority of phone agents interpret the waiver rules more generously than this, and thank god for that. Also, the language of the waiver admits no logical interpretation because it makes no meaningful distinction between the two bullet points. The waiver language is terrible and should change to reflect the treatment by most agents: competently free changes, within 24 hours, to any coterminal.*

(*My position - and, I submit, the only logically coherent reading - is that the current rules actually already permit free changes because the fare difference in sdc is actually considered part of the sdc fee that is excused by the waiver.)
Successfully managed to get an agent to let me go out of EWR instead of LGA, and she even gave me a free stopover! Her comment was "I can get away with this because of the waiver."
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by JDT1955
Looks like it will be a bad day in Blackrock for operations today. Trying to get home from IST, and it seems most Europe-EWR flights are canceled (MUC, FRAx2, LHRx3-4, OSL, etc). ORD not an option as most ORD-CLE flights already canceled, so hoping for the best thru IAD. Funny, though, it looks like LH hasn't canceled any of their MUC/FRA-EWR flights (though granted they're later in the day, so who knows for sure...). Question: do you think UA has overreacted to this or are they the prudent ones?

PS Third time in 6 days I've been messed up by weather.
Just watching the weather forecast for EWR later this afternoon. Looks like NYC is getting 3-6 inches. Doesn't seem that out of the ordinary. Cancelling every EU-EWR flight seems like jumping gun to me!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Does UA Ever Cancel The EWR-ABE Bus?

Given the snowy weather and the chance for freezing rain, I was wondering if UA ever cancels the bus to Allentown from Newark, and what the criteria is.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by palmetto86
Just watching the weather forecast for EWR later this afternoon. Looks like NYC is getting 3-6 inches. Doesn't seem that out of the ordinary. Cancelling every EU-EWR flight seems like jumping gun to me!
UA definitely over reacted. My husband's flight today FRA-EAR was cancelled yesterday and re-scheduled to Monday's flight!!. Called and re-booked to LH to JFK. Weather does not look great but not bad enough to cancel this many flights from Europe.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by palmetto86
EWR was just a disaster during the last snowstorm on Tuesday. They didn't do any proactive cancellations and things were pretty nasty that day. I got the 1 out of 6 flights to BUF that actually went.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I"m in bloomfield, NJ, less than 10 miles from EWR - heavy snow here. Horrible driving.

There are so many more factors to canceling flights that simply the weather directly at the airport. Crews getting to/from/ work is one of them. Its' not just how it is at the airport that minute.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: UA -1MM, SPG - Lifetime Gold
Flew EWR-HNL on Saturday. Originally our aircraft was the 767-400 from GRU. Then it switched to a different plane (from MUC I think). Then we had a one hour mechanical delay. By the time I landed in EWR from DCA that had lengthened to a 3.5 hour delay. As the new 1pm departure time approached, I was concerned about the numerous cancellations, but the flight was still listed as delayed.

I don't know what happened to our originally assigned aircraft, but we were delayed long enough for the HNL-EWR flight from the previous evening to arrive, so they just switched and gave us that plane. Add another hour delay for de-icing (I'm fine with those delays!) and we departed about five hours late.

Had an excellent crew in BF though so that made the delays easily forgettable. I was sort of expecting to see a compensation email, but haven't seen one yet. I was just happy we got out of EWR given the weather.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Next Monday and Tuesday (Jan 27, 14 & Jan 28, 14) the weather is forecast to be exceptionally cold in CLE. Tuesday a high of -1 and a low of -10F. But no real threat of precipitation.

What are the chances this cold weather will lead to a weather waiver for flight changes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.