Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

SQ awards can be booked online but SQ generally does does not release to its *A partners all routes or all cabins -- especially the more premium cases

Old information
================================================== ===========
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you an early heads up about an upcoming change to the Star partner award availability you see displayed online. Singapore Airlines and United have agreed to remove Singapore Airlines inventory from our award flight search results on united.com and on the United Mobile App. This will take effect starting tomorrow, December 13, You will still to be able to book and change award reservations involving Singapore Airlines by calling our reservations lines.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions, and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
The fee for non-premier to book awards through the call center will NOT be waived as per:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
As most have you has suspected, unfortunately we're not waiving the booking fee. The simple reason--and this is a consistent policy across all airlines which are not yet online--is that there is substantial additional work required to price and ticket these awards in our contact centers.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
This is currently the policy

Update: SQ's statement on the recent change:

Originally Posted by SQ
Each Star Alliance member carrier may choose how to fulfill such redemptions differently, which we have no influence over.

For example, some Star carriers may choose to allow their respective frequent flier programme members access to redemption online or offline, depending on their respective platforms.
Print Wikipost

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I ran into this recently with a SIN-BKK itinerary. SQ J award was available through UA, but not SQ.
OK, now I'm certain that the release was an accident; there's no way that they'd suddenly give more availability to partners than to KrisFlyer members.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
OK, now I'm certain that the release was an accident; there's no way that they'd suddenly give more availability to partners than to KrisFlyer members.
Sorry, I think you missed the details. This was SIN-BKK on a 330, totally independent of the SFO/LAX-SIN award releases (and weeks earlier). It just shows you can't draw conclusions from the fact that SQ didn't release those seats (SFO/LAX-SIN) for KF awards.

If you spend enough time searching for KF awards, you'll ultimately reach the conclusion that SQ's releases frequently don't make much sense at all.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I think you missed the details. This was SIN-BKK on a 330, totally independent of the SFO/LAX-SIN award releases (and weeks earlier). It just shows you can't draw conclusions from the fact that SQ didn't release those seats (SFO/LAX-SIN) for KF awards.

If you spend enough time searching for KF awards, you'll ultimately reach the conclusion that SQ's releases frequently don't make much sense at all.
Sorry, you're right. Somehow I looked at SIN-BKK and read "SFO-(SIN)-BKK."

So, yes, that makes no sense at all.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is SIN-SFO in Y never available?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
SIN-LAX and LAX-SIN is available on United.com on many days. 90K miles and books in I for Saver Business.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
SIN-LAX and LAX-SIN is available on United.com on many days. 90K miles and books in I for Saver Business.
Any chance EWR-SIN shows up?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:55 pm

It seems to come and go in 2-3 month segments. Currently, there is scattered availability until the end of March. I imagine the next release will be availability for April-May. There soon will be a lot of non-stop inventory U.S.-SIN so I would expect awards to continue to be available. SQ Business is not nearly as "aspirational" as SQ Suites or First.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:30 am

Has anyone been able to book any flights today? It looks like all the award inventory has been removed.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
It looks like it was pulled
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It looks like it was pulled
Thank the bloggers.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I booked LAX-SIN round trip in March for 180k miles. I figure if I can't make it work I can always cancel and get the miles back.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:20 am

Thank the bloggers.
Unless LAX/SIN starts selling better it'll be back.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Tip: SQ PNRs for United award reservations don't show on United's website, but they appear on United's APP !
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Skymiles, HHonors Silver, Marriott Gold
I've been having issues booking an award routing on SQ for SIN-AKL or vice versa in mid-January. I've now tried 6 different bookings, on 4 different dates, in both directions, and direct and connecting via Perth (with one leg on Air New Zealand). All have allowed me to complete the reservation with payment, but are not confirmed and do not ticket. I also tried calling the 1K reservations desk and the agent tried to book for me by phone, with the same result.

Does anyone know what's going on? When I call, they just tell me to keep trying and hopefully a booking will ticket. I've read back the past few pages on this thread and didn't notice any other issues like this. There are routings available via BKK on Thai, but that involves a long overnight layover, which wastes a lot of time.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I booked one 4 days ago and it ticketed within a minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.