Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SQ awards can be booked online but SQ generally does does not release to its *A partners all routes or all cabins -- especially the more premium cases

Archive: Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I booked MNL-SIN-KIX-SFO for 2 in business. I even picked my SQ seats while booking!
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I was able to book SQ from SIN-SGN this afternoon. Opted for Y for 8K+$30 over J for 25K. Figured for a 2-hour flight it wasn't worth the extra 17K miles. SQ wants $320 for the same flight. Also able to do seat selection.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
I was able to change a flight I had booked prior to the issues. Looks like you can now book on the regional A350 and B787s not just the A330 and B772s.

I was booked in J MLE-SIN-PER with both flights red eyes operated by A330s and a 17 hour layover in Changi (not the greatest).

Now booked and confirmed with the SIN-PER leg on SQ223 operated by an A350 with only a 2 hour layover. A much better result and definitley worth the change fee.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SponsorSFC
I was able to change a flight I had booked prior to the issues. Looks like you can now book on the regional A350 and B787s not just the A330 and B772s.
The regional aircraft have always been bookable with UA miles. The option has become more attractive now that SQ has lie-flats on the regional 781s and 359s
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The regional aircraft have always been bookable with UA miles. The option has become more attractive now that SQ has lie-flats on the regional 781s and 359s
The B787 J seats were not available using UA miles when I booked this originally in August 18 but they were for a period prior to my booking (at least on this route). These seemed to dissapear from the SIN-PER route a few weeks before all SQ award availability did. The A350 wasn't on that route at the time.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SponsorSFC
The B787 J seats were not available using UA miles when I booked this originally in August 18 but they were for a period prior to my booking (at least on this route). These seemed to dissapear from the SIN-PER route a few weeks before all SQ award availability did. The A350 wasn't on that route at the time.
Are you sure that wasn't just an inventory availability issue? AFAIK, there have not been any restrictions on booking the 781 with UA miles. The aircraft has never been listed as one of the "excepted" ones, i.e., 380, 77W, 359).
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Are you sure that wasn't just an inventory availability issue? AFAIK, there have not been any restrictions on booking the 781 with UA miles. The aircraft has never been listed as one of the "excepted" ones, i.e., 380, 77W, 359).
Hard to tell. It could well have been but I did test multiple dates. Seats were available through KF but that doesn't mean anything for partner availability.

I was monitoring availability prior to the UA booking window opening and it was consistently showing at least 2 seats available in J each day on the single 787 along with the 772 and 330 flights. This then stopped a couple of weeks out from the window opening for my preffered dates (not even Y was available on the B787) each seach was only showing the A330 options so I booked those. I had been checking intermitently in case the other options appeared but then SQ awards were removed.

Obvioulsy this is anecdotal and could hae just been a coincidence, SQ were also adjusting the schedules around this time as our 772ER PER-SIN (flight booked using KF as part of a Suites redemption) was changed to the A350 not long after.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:55 pm

Normally a good thing but it seems United is not seeing X space (economy) and only I space (business) for some short haul flights between Singapore and other parts of Asia. For the same flight, economy X can be booked via Aeroplan and Aegean (in addition to the I class seats). Weird.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by myperks
Normally a good thing but it seems United is not seeing X space (economy) and only I space (business) for some short haul flights between Singapore and other parts of Asia. For the same flight, economy X can be booked via Aeroplan and Aegean (in addition to the I class seats). Weird.
apparently united phone agents can see the X space so just booked over the phone.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:28 pm

To my great surprise I see SQ availability on NRT-LAX. Tried to book it but the .bomb returned error. Will try phone.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA
Hey guys curious if you have any insight.
I am trying to pick up 2 Singapore Saver Awards that I see on the SQ website, however cannot see them on United's. I have a stash of UA miles to use and would like to use them before burning my Amex/Chase points. Does anyone know if you can call United agent and have them book the SQ saver award over the phone? Or does SQ hold these Saver Awards to their own inventory, and not distribute to *A partners?
Thanks
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by whiskE_flyer
Hey guys curious if you have any insight.
I am trying to pick up 2 Singapore Saver Awards that I see on the SQ website, however cannot see them on United's. I have a stash of UA miles to use and would like to use them before burning my Amex/Chase points. Does anyone know if you can call United agent and have them book the SQ saver award over the phone? Or does SQ hold these Saver Awards to their own inventory, and not distribute to *A partners?
Thanks
Award availability to an airlines own program is always much larger than to other programs - for SQ that's true triply-so. If you want to know what's available for United booking check the United and/or for example Aeroplan.

FWIW SQ generally doesn't release long-haul J to partner (eg anything SIN-Europe or SIN-USA)
whiskE_flyer likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Award availability to an airlines own program is always much larger than to other programs - for SQ that's true triply-so. If you want to know what's available for United booking check the United and/or for example Aeroplan.
KF award availability is not always greater (sometimes UA gets seats that KF does not), but it is definitely different.

To OP: If using UA miles, what the UA website shows is what you can book. KF availability tells you nothing about what you can book through UA..
whiskE_flyer likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: Asiana Diamond+, Qantas Gold, Virgin Gold
Throwing in an anecdote for the pot, successfully booked Melbourne to Singapore in J on SQ's A350 next May as part of a multi-segment award. Worth noting that this - and only this - specific afternoon departure from Melbourne on the A350 was the only flight showing up with bookable seats in SQ J on UA.com, but was available many days across many months.

By contrast, as I’m ultimately going to Guam to position for the Island Hopper, the next segment I needed from SIN was to effectively anywhere in Japan that could connect onto UA's GUM flights, and the only - ONLY - seat in J that I could find on UA.com was on ANA to Tokyo. None of SQ’s flights to Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya or Fukuoka turned up anything across many months.

Finally, fun fact: it’s only 40K miles on UA to fly Australia to Guam in J, despite routing through both SIN and NRT. Definitely great value.
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by navigator4309; Sep 8, 2019 at 10:58 pm Reason: Typos.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by navigator4309
Throwing in an anecdote for the pot, successfully booked Melbourne to Singapore in J on SQ's A350 next May as part of a multi-segment award. Worth noting that this - and only this - specific afternoon departure from Melbourne on the A350 was the only flight showing up with bookable seats in SQ J on UA.com, but was available many days across many months.
Also note that while MEL-SIN and WLG-SIN (same flight) are both bookable in J, the WLG-MEL sector does not appear individually at all, even in Y. (The WLG-MEL sector does appear individually for other *A carriers, but not UA!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.