Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 6, 22, 9:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
SQ awards can be booked online but SQ generally does does not release to its *A partners all routes or all cabins -- especially the more premium cases

Old information
================================================== ===========
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you an early heads up about an upcoming change to the Star partner award availability you see displayed online. Singapore Airlines and United have agreed to remove Singapore Airlines inventory from our award flight search results on united.com and on the United Mobile App. This will take effect starting tomorrow, December 13, You will still to be able to book and change award reservations involving Singapore Airlines by calling our reservations lines.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions, and Ill do my best to answer them.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
The fee for non-premier to book awards through the call center will NOT be waived as per:
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
As most have you has suspected, unfortunately we're not waiving the booking fee. The simple reason--and this is a consistent policy across all airlines which are not yet online--is that there is substantial additional work required to price and ticket these awards in our contact centers.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
This is currently the policy

Update: SQ's statement on the recent change:

Originally Posted by SQ
Each Star Alliance member carrier may choose how to fulfill such redemptions differently, which we have no influence over.

For example, some Star carriers may choose to allow their respective frequent flier programme members access to redemption online or offline, depending on their respective platforms.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 17, 13, 1:40 am

Programs: NorthSails | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by arcticbull View Post
That's truly surprising. I thought only Delta allowed open jaws across regions. Maybe you just got lucky?
I got lucky in getting a competent agent that didn't flinch at a complex award and was willing to take the time to code the flights correctly so the system would price it without barfing. As for the open jaw across regions, no special luck there: the published rules say nothing one way or the other; and there are numerous examples of others having booked such awards in fact bloggers and award-booking services have made quite a bit of hay out of that option calling it something like 'free one-way'

And to be fair, i have to admit i was surprised at how liberal the award rules had become in the current UA vs. my frame of reference: my last substantive MP redemption was with old pmUA with all the starnet blocking and restrictive rules (married segments, MPM, backtracking, etc.).
Old Dec 17, 13, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by WindFlyer View Post
I got lucky in getting a competent agent that didn't flinch at a complex award and was willing to take the time to code the flights correctly so the system would price it without barfing.
United: where getting what's legit and within the framework of regulations is your lucky day.
Old Dec 17, 13, 2:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
The only thing left is for the government to ask airlines to issue W2s for all award redemptions so we can pay taxes on them!
1099s.

.... and what if it may be the airlines that request that the government demand 1099s for redemptions? All in order to increase breakage in customer accounts and produce a one-time windfall for the "loyalty" program operator?
Old Dec 19, 13, 4:52 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, CX Silver, LY TL, Marriot G
Fault?

Originally Posted by BayAreaPilot View Post
Anyway you slice it this is UA's fault. Either:
1) This originated with UA. Obviously UA's fault.
2) This originated with SQ. UA's fault for having a contract with SQ that allows SQ to dictate which distribution channels UA uses.
Actually, by this logic it is your fault - for having agreed to a contract with MP that didn't specify your eternal right to access SQ inventory on the UA website.

Are you serious?
Old Dec 19, 13, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
So...we got lied to...again

Not that we should be surprised (kudos to Gary for digging up the article):

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...leads-members/

The key piece of information:

Singapore Airlines insists that its not removing award seats from the websites of Star Alliance partners, and suggests that United Airlines is solely responsible for last weeks removal of SQ award inventory

[E]ach Star Alliance member carrier may choose how to fulfill such redemptions differently, which we have no influence over.

For example, some Star carriers may choose to allow their respective frequent flier programme members access to redemption online or offline, depending on their respective platforms.

Not so "mutual" a decision it appears.
Old Dec 19, 13, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Not that we should be surprised (kudos to Gary for digging up the article):

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...leads-members/

The key piece of information:

Singapore Airlines insists that its not removing award seats from the websites of Star Alliance partners, and suggests that United Airlines is solely responsible for last weeks removal of SQ award inventory

[E]ach Star Alliance member carrier may choose how to fulfill such redemptions differently, which we have no influence over.

Not so "mutual" a decision it appears.
Many thanks to Gary for finding and posting this and I hope (perhaps unrealistically) that Aaron can give us UA's response.
Old Dec 19, 13, 8:16 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
Many thanks to Gary for finding and posting this and I hope (perhaps unrealistically) that Aaron can give us UA's response.
I'm not holding my breath. The vast majority of MP members will not notice that United has taken this unilateral cost cutting move and that is what UA is counting on.
Old Dec 19, 13, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by jetaway View Post
i hope (perhaps unrealistically) that aaron can give us ua's response.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Dave
Old Dec 19, 13, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by FLYDCA View Post
I'm not holding my breath. The vast majority of MP members will not notice that United has taken this unilateral cost cutting move and that is what UA is counting on.
Absolutely right...UA will only chime in 13 or so hours before a change is made and then twist the facts to make it sound rosier than it is.

UA seriously loves it's members to be idiots - from people to not know about partners available to upgrades being processed 'in order', etc...this is another example - the more things they can do to have Ma & Pa Kettle think UA metal is the only way to go, buying upgrades with cash - and giving them a product that is crap - the happier they are.

AncillaryFeeFriendly & LieFriendly both at the same time - Classy!

-jeremy
Old Dec 19, 13, 9:08 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kmfdm91 View Post
Absolutely right...UA will only chime in 13 or so hours before a change is made and then twist the facts to make it sound rosier than it is.

UA seriously loves it's members to be idiots - from people to not know about partners available to upgrades being processed 'in order', etc...this is another example - the more things they can do to have Ma & Pa Kettle think UA metal is the only way to go, buying upgrades with cash - and giving them a product that is crap - the happier they are.

AncillaryFeeFriendly & LieFriendly both at the same time - Classy!

-jeremy
Despite the lies, there are still many people excitedly chasing after status with UA. Until a large enough number change their behavior, UA has no incentive whatsoever to change its behavior. It is almost like an abusive relationship where UA customers just keep coming back for more abuse.
Old Dec 19, 13, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
Despite the lies, there are still many people excitedly chasing after status with UA. Until a large enough number change their behavior, UA has no incentive whatsoever to change its behavior. It is almost like an abusive relationship where UA customers just keep coming back for more abuse.
You are absolutely right about that...

I don't like it, but it makes sense for UA - keep doing what you are doing in some respect, because people will still fly you.

However, that isn't me and after bunches of years as a 1K (albeit a lower spending one), i'll be out to AA or Kayak after 2014 - no incentive to play the 'game' anymore.

-jeremy
Old Dec 19, 13, 9:16 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FLYDCA View Post
It makes things more serious when it's another airline in the alliance accusing you of lying and cost-cutting. Sure the vast majority of MP members might not care but this kind of public statement suggests some *A partners are not pleased with United and their actions this year regarding *A-related things (PQDs, award chart, etc.). Of all the parties involved it's the *A partners and not the customers (sadly) who have the greatest influence and potential ability to force UA to roll back some of their policies or else they can threaten to leave the alliance all together.
Old Dec 19, 13, 9:36 am

I thought so, this one didn't pass the smell test from the start. Believing UA's statement regarding mutual agreement with SQ is just naive.
Old Dec 19, 13, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K; QR P; HH D; MR G; IHG SpAmb
Originally Posted by a9504477 View Post
Serves me right for not having checked FT for a few days, having seen the SQ flights i was looking at a couple of days ago disappeared i now booked TG via BKK. Guess have to call in to see whether i still can get direct connections...
Right, so i did call. Agent found the flight i wanted but then had difficulties booking it for. Finally spoke to a supervisor and then told me that they can't book SQ flights! I asked to be put through to the supervisor who was then able to change the booking after all. Took me close to an hour overall, not pleased
Old Dec 19, 13, 9:51 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
UA Insider should have simply said, to be honest, we have made it too easy to claim awards on our Star Alliance Partners and it has hit our bottom line. We know that a certain segment of our flyers with several hours of extra time on their hands will be able to still claim awards through our call centers. Most others will simply assume that only UA flights are available which would help us to save money.

Your business is value to us but not so valuable that we would tell the truth. There will always be those that keep believing in Santa Claus--and UA hopes you are one of those people.

Search this Thread