Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 6, 22, 9:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
SQ awards can be booked online but SQ generally does does not release to its *A partners all routes or all cabins -- especially the more premium cases

Old information
================================================== ===========
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you an early heads up about an upcoming change to the Star partner award availability you see displayed online. Singapore Airlines and United have agreed to remove Singapore Airlines inventory from our award flight search results on united.com and on the United Mobile App. This will take effect starting tomorrow, December 13, You will still to be able to book and change award reservations involving Singapore Airlines by calling our reservations lines.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions, and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
The fee for non-premier to book awards through the call center will NOT be waived as per:
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
As most have you has suspected, unfortunately we're not waiving the booking fee. The simple reason--and this is a consistent policy across all airlines which are not yet online--is that there is substantial additional work required to price and ticket these awards in our contact centers.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
This is currently the policy

Update: SQ's statement on the recent change:

Originally Posted by SQ
Each Star Alliance member carrier may choose how to fulfill such redemptions differently, which we have no influence over.

For example, some Star carriers may choose to allow their respective frequent flier programme members access to redemption online or offline, depending on their respective platforms.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 14, 13, 7:21 pm

What a scam! Thanks for flying the friendly skies!
Old Dec 14, 13, 7:33 pm

Glad I booked my last-ever UA award (SYD-BKK-SIN-CMB) three days ago. The game sure was fun while it lasted.
Old Dec 14, 13, 8:16 pm

Programs: FB Plat (8th yr) & Marriott Amb.
Unhappy

Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
Probably no source but a conclusion based on the SQ award availability that is currently displayed....
Same observation here...
I do not see much change when re-running (with the ANA search option of course) older awardnexus searchs that were showing SQ business awards on intra-asia destinations
but can't find any SIN to Australia business awards from Jan 2014 onwards...
Old Dec 14, 13, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
Probably no source but a conclusion based on the SQ award availability that is currently displayed....
Gotcha. Been travelling last few days haven't had a chance to check.

This obviously sucks. I was just able to put a great trip for a friend and his wife to Australia with a couple of stopovers in south east asia (1 under 24 hours). Of course he didn't book it because they were being indecisive with their dates. Oh well, so much for them saving UR points for 2 years for this trip.
Old Dec 14, 13, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by arcticbull View Post
The problem is that your open jaw can only be at your origin or your point of turnaround (which is defined as the furthest place away from your origin).
There are myriad examples in this thread indicating this is not necessarily true. I've even been denied an o/j at my destination.... the agents (yes plural) claimed it was 2 one ways on the same PNR. Lots of bad info out there.

the unflown portion must be the shortest segment
Again not true. I've recently flown YYY-BKK-PNH/SIN-HKG-XXX

(i.e. SFO-ICN-LAX is cool, SFO-ICN-LHR not so since the latter violates both the zone rule and the distance rule; you could book that as two one-ways though, but then you don't get the en-route stopover).
SFO-ICN-LHR is struck down simply because you can't fly to Europe through Aisa from NA.

EDIT As for the 4h stop rule, that applies ONLY to purely domestic itineraries. International itineraries allow up to 24h before the connection becomes a stopover -- even at domestic connection points. The problem with the UA reps is that once their computer fails to price the award they just make rules up as to why, instead of actually trying to help you. Probably because their computer doesn't tell them why it barfed, just that it did.
Agreed there's way too much incorrect information coming from UA reps these days.

Finally, connecting at REP (a spoke-spoke connection) is totally fine, taking OZ in and TG out. You don't have to connect exclusively at hubs. The same way I can get from SFO-ORD via FAR on a domestic award ticket. So long as you don't exceed the maximum permitted number of transfers on a South Asia award (4 each way on a round trip, 3 each way on a one-way) and don't exceed 3 award zones en route.
Except TG doesn't fly to REP; only OZ and CA.
Old Dec 14, 13, 9:33 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
SFO-ICN-BKK (all OZ) STOPOVER
<Nested $50 Air Asia tix Bangkok Don Muang DMK-REP-DMK>
BKK-SIN(22-hour layover)-MLE(all SQ) POINT OF TURNAROUND
MLE-SIN(SQ)(10-hour overnight layover)-TPE(BR)-SFO(BR)

tl;dr It's because you can't have an en-route open jaw.
I attempted this with two separate agents (not having REP at all but just having BKK as my stopover and continuing on), and they reverted with the entire "SQ won't allow you to connect onward to BR on MLE-SIN-TPE", and/or "SIN-MLE-SIN isn't an available SQ route for *A awards."

After ~7 total hours on the phone with them today with no success, I called up USAirways and used my miles with them for the above routing. Successful on the first try after a 30-min call.
Old Dec 14, 13, 10:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
"SQ won't allow you to connect onward to BR on MLE-SIN-TPE", and/or "SIN-MLE-SIN isn't an available SQ route for *A awards."
MLE-SIN-TPE-SFO was bookable online 2 days ago on SQ/BR.
Old Dec 14, 13, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by worldtravel View Post
Vonage cost nothing to call US & Canada.
But if someone does not have Vonage currently, it would be quicker and cheaper to do skype.
Old Dec 14, 13, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, CC Gold
This is infuriating! I was actually using united.com to search for SQ J intra-asia flights earlier this week. Even more reason to leave the program after 2/1.
Old Dec 15, 13, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I attempted this with two separate agents (not having REP at all but just having BKK as my stopover and continuing on), and they reverted with the entire "SQ won't allow you to connect onward to BR on MLE-SIN-TPE", and/or "SIN-MLE-SIN isn't an available SQ route for *A awards."

After ~7 total hours on the phone with them today with no success, I called up USAirways and used my miles with them for the above routing. Successful on the first try after a 30-min call.
Hit and miss oddities. Two weeks ago, after US Air told me no *A airlines flew to MDL I was forced to use UA miles for the flights.
Old Dec 15, 13, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K; QR P; HH D; MR G; IHG SpAmb
Serves me right for not having checked FT for a few days, having seen the SQ flights i was looking at a couple of days ago disappeared i now booked TG via BKK. Guess have to call in to see whether i still can get direct connections...
Old Dec 15, 13, 11:59 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
What is the best way to view SQ availability now? Will we have to call in or are there other tools which we can use to do queries?
Old Dec 15, 13, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Originally Posted by Rhyick View Post
What is the best way to view SQ availability now? Will we have to call in or are there other tools which we can use to do queries?
Aeroplan.com still has it.
ANA tool, awardnexus, flisea.com, etc, etc
Old Dec 15, 13, 1:15 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Aeroplan.com still has it.
ANA tool, awardnexus, flisea.com, etc, etc
More like a combination of the above. I've found that Aeroplan is a bit underinclusive for SQ flights, whereas ANA is overinclusive, at least when it comes to availability that UA is seeing.
Old Dec 15, 13, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
More like a combination of the above. I've found that Aeroplan is a bit underinclusive for SQ flights, whereas ANA is overinclusive, at least when it comes to availability that UA is seeing.
Aeroplan.com seems underinclusive for two reasons
a) They tend to only display SIX options per routing per class of service
b) Aeroplan.com 'prefers' flights on carriers that attract a fuel surcharge.

So for example, if you were to search for PEK-SIN - you will get a variety of combinations of TG or OZ, and SQ/BR may be downgraded because AC does not charge a fuel surcharge on them. If there are more than 6 combos of the former, you may not see the latter at all.

Search this Thread