Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SQ awards can be booked online but SQ generally does does not release to its *A partners all routes or all cabins -- especially the more premium cases

Archive: Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2023, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I recall seeing someplace that I can even transfer UA miles to KF?
There are no direct methods to transfer between any of the *A programs. With UA miles, you are locked into what UA offers and inventory its partners release to UA. Availability on partner flights at other programs does not necessarily equate to same availability at UA.

Your best bet would be transfers from credit card currencies into airline and hotel programs. Most of these programs transfer at 1:1.

You might want check AC and review its inventory of SQ (hint hint). AC and SQ play much nicer than the tumultuous relationship between UA and SQ.
jsloan and Mike Jacoubowsky like this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems Untied is not passing the MileagePlus number to SQ's system (nor the e-mail). I can't modify it on the SQ side - it says:

Your email address is needed to make changes to your booking.

How to add your email address:
  • If you had booked through a travel agency, please contact your travel agency directly.
  • If you had booked through other channels, please update it during online check-in 48 to 1.5 hours before departure.
Alternatively, you can add your email address during check-in at the airport.

Usually I try to clean these things up before the trip. What is the easiest way to do it?

The same UA PNR also has a VA flight and they didn't get the MileagePlus number either. I don't think UA passes it to anyone (even Air Canada).

Thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by username
It seems Untied is not passing the MileagePlus number to SQ's system (nor the e-mail). I can't modify it on the SQ side - it says:

Your email address is needed to make changes to your booking.

How to add your email address:
  • If you had booked through a travel agency, please contact your travel agency directly.
  • If you had booked through other channels, please update it during online check-in 48 to 1.5 hours before departure.
Alternatively, you can add your email address during check-in at the airport.

Usually I try to clean these things up before the trip. What is the easiest way to do it?

The same UA PNR also has a VA flight and they didn't get the MileagePlus number either. I don't think UA passes it to anyone (even Air Canada).

Thanks.
Contact VA via their website. They have been able to add it for me and assign seats
Old Oct 6, 2023, 3:25 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by username
I booked an NH flight using MP miles on united.com about three weeks ago and my MP number was sent through to NH. Maybe because of the close alliance with UA & NH? <shrug>
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
OK, so I am exploring booking the SQ flight LAX-NRT using UA MP points on United.com.

I see that SQ 11 is bookable in Economy for 60.4K points (quite steep when compared to 33.9K points on UA as a Saver Award), but there is nothing offered for Business or Premium Economy. I read somewhere upthread that SQ does not release Business award inventory to UA, is that correct?

If I call the !K desk, will they be able to book me an award seat in Business on SQ 11?
Old Dec 27, 2023, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sapguy
I see that SQ 11 is bookable in Economy for 60.4K points (quite steep when compared to 33.9K points on UA as a Saver Award), but there is nothing offered for Business or Premium Economy. I read somewhere upthread that SQ does not release Business award inventory to UA, is that correct?
They have occasionally opened up business class award seats -- that was how I learned that I much prefer Polaris to SQ J on the 359. But when I say occasionally, I don't mean "keep checking," I mean "I think it happened twice in the past ten years, and it was pretty much systemwide when it did."

If I call the !K desk, will they be able to book me an award seat in Business on SQ 11?
SQ does not release Business award inventory to UA, so no.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
They have occasionally opened up business class award seats -- that was how I learned that I much prefer Polaris to SQ J on the 359. .
I fly Polaris regularly and it sucks when compared to J on SQ on any aircraft!
Old Dec 27, 2023, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fly Polaris regularly and it sucks when compared to J on SQ on any aircraft!
To each his own. I would fly UA 10 times out of 10 when compared to the SQ 359 -- it was by far the least comfortable lie-flat seat I've ever flown anywhere. I'd take angle-flat seats over it.

None of that is relevant, though -- fly whom you want. but unless you get very lucky, in that they decide to do another massive inventory dump and/or somebody in SQ IT makes a mistake -- don't expect to fly SQ long-haul J on a MileagePlus award ticket.
SPN Lifer and ll22949 like this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
To each his own. I would fly UA 10 times out of 10 when compared to the SQ 359 -- it was by far the least comfortable lie-flat seat I've ever flown anywhere. I'd take angle-flat seats over it.

None of that is relevant, though -- fly whom you want. but unless you get very lucky, in that they decide to do another massive inventory dump and/or somebody in SQ IT makes a mistake -- don't expect to fly SQ long-haul J on a MileagePlus award ticket.
Yes to each his own. I am a big United supporter, but Polaris is (for now) at the BOTTOM of the heap for international J. May be things will improve in the future.

Besides, SQ 11 LAX-NRT is on a B777-300ER.

I do not expect to fly SQ long haul J on MP award ticket! I will transfer AMEX points to KF to book J on SQ.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by sapguy; Dec 27, 2023 at 2:36 pm
Old Dec 27, 2023, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Yes to each his own. I am a big United supporter, but Polaris is (for now) at the BOTTOM of the heap for international J. May be things will improve in the future.

Besides, SQ 11 LAX-NRT is on a B777-300ER.

I do not expect to fly SQ long haul J on MP award ticket! I will transfer AMEX points to KF to book J on SQ.
FWIW, they also release some inventory (generally 2-4J on long-hauls) to aeroplan under a fairly new special agreement, so you can also search there and compare availability and pricing before transferring to KF/AP. Probably too late now!
Old Dec 27, 2023, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
FWIW, they also release some inventory (generally 2-4J on long-hauls) to aeroplan under a fairly new special agreement, so you can also search there and compare availability and pricing before transferring to KF/AP. Probably too late now!
Thanks and it's not too late at all! Just that I don't want to have to create an AC account! It could be a pain but may be I should
Old Dec 27, 2023, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Thanks and it's not too late at all! Just that I don't want to have to create an AC account! It could be a pain but may be I should
You can search without an AC account, just to get an idea for pricing & availability. Then decide!
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.