Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

American Express AX Centurion Lounge at SFO & IAH (IAH Opened Jun 24, 2016 @ Term D)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express AX Centurion Lounge at SFO & IAH (IAH Opened Jun 24, 2016 @ Term D)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
IAH news is great! We already have the KLM lounge there so EWR would be BETTER from that perspective ... but any additional UA hub is welcome!
Amex knows they are going after the weakest to get the most business; IAH will have plenty to folks who are willing to get a plat card if they can use a decent lounge.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Being Sfo based I love the centurion lounge and would never consider paying for united club. Being 1k I have lounge access when flying international, which is most of my trips, and now always have departure lounge. No brainer for me.
I'm an IAD-SFO flyer. If they had something at IAD I would do it. That's NEVER going to happen - at least not until the temporary terminal gets to be permanent - which is not something I can see happening anytime soon.

As you point out, having access to the international clubs is a huge plus.

Also, the new UA wing in SFO is better than any lounge. Great food and drink and free WiFi. I'd rather hang there than most any club.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I'm very excited about the AmEx lounge in the works at IAH Terminal D. The KLM lounge is pretty good and recently extended its hours for Priority Pass customers until 10 p.m., but I've heard rumors that the extended evening hours are likely to be rolled back because it is being underutilized in the evenings.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM+, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Per Gleff's View from the Wing Blog it appears AX has signed a 5 year lease with Houston to build a ~8,500 sqft Centurion lounge at terminal D.

Also the 5 year lease gives AX the right to have lounge space in the new terminal D rebuild (see this post and this post for the details).

The lounge is slated to open in 2016.

Other threads of interest: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...lf-2016-a.html (AX forum)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...eculation.html (AX forum)
This is THE BEST News I've heard all day! I signed up for the Amex Platinum in May since I was working an assignment in SFO since March and really enjoyed the Centurion lounge. My assignment is now coming to an end, and I was hoping they would announce Houston as one of their new lounges. Although a year away, I'm excited it will be in my hometown airport. ^
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
I'm an IAD-SFO flyer. If they had something at IAD I would do it. That's NEVER going to happen - at least not until the temporary terminal gets to be permanent - which is not something I can see happening anytime soon.

As you point out, having access to the international clubs is a huge plus.

Also, the new UA wing in SFO is better than any lounge. Great food and drink and free WiFi. I'd rather hang there than most any club.
AX could but it in A/B which is way better than C/D. the train makes the trip to the LH lounge bearable. put an AX lounge there? done.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
This is great news - and one of those points that may push me eventually to get the card. As it stands, having it at a destination point (LAS,SFO) was not as useful as possible connection points (DEN, ORD, IAH). Having IAH is a great benefit, as channa noted for those of us passing through.

Now I need to find friends with Centurion access on the lounge threads for awhile (for a variety of reasons, I can't get another cc on my own right now).
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Per Gleff's View from the Wing Blog it appears AX has signed a 5 year lease with Houston to build a ~8,500 sqft Centurion lounge at terminal D.

Also the 5 year lease gives AX the right to have lounge space in the new terminal D rebuild (see this post and this post for the details).

The lounge is slated to open in 2016.
That is fantastic news!!! ^^
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Why do you say that?

In this IAH scenario they're doing the exact same thing -- building a club for an estimated 5 years, with a guarantee of future space in the new facility.

No reason they can't do something similar in IAD D (isn't there an old AAdmiral's Club in the high D's?) to position themselves in the new facility if/when that may be.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by channa
Why do you say that?

In this IAH scenario they're doing the exact same thing -- building a club for an estimated 5 years, with a guarantee of future space in the new facility.

No reason they can't do something similar in IAD D (isn't there an old AAdmiral's Club in the high D's?) to position themselves in the new facility if/when that may be.
There is definitely lots of void space in IAH D, probably more than any other airport that I've seen!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: United 1K, Aegean Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Why do you say that?

Pretty sure there are two unused lounge spaces at IAD: the former UA RCC in Concourse A and the AAdmiral's club in the high B's that was closed 2 years ago or so.

Hoping for a DC-area one next, two. IAD would be great given the lack of a good PP option but DCA would be even better since the concourses will soon be connected airside.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I despise the new wing. A farther walk from the garage and checkin counters (and baggage claim), overpriced concessions, no starbucks, no UC lounge club (I don't count the crappy miniclub upstairs in the corridor between wings). Nothing good about it except lots of electrical outlets.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is an UC, even closer to the SFO International gates.
True, but it's pretty mediocre except for the self-serve soft drinks. Often jammed, sometimes with noisy young children (mine included), and a long walk from the gates at the end of the international wing.

Originally Posted by aacharya
I don't think $50 is ever worth lounge access, unless I'm in a pinch and stuck for 3 hours plus in an airport - with no way to leave (rental car) and visit a nearby city.
Agree - I'd rather spend less money at a restaurant or bar of my choice. The over/under for a 1-2 hour visit is probably $10-20 depending on the lounge, which not surprisingly is what passes sell for on ebay.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by avfly47
Pretty sure there are two unused lounge spaces at IAD: the former UA RCC in Concourse A and the AAdmiral's club in the high B's that was closed 2 years ago or so.

Hoping for a DC-area one next, two. IAD would be great given the lack of a good PP option but DCA would be even better since the concourses will soon be connected airside.
The Admirals Club space was annexed by the adjacent BA lounge during its renovation.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:37 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Public Service Announcement - IAH AX Lounge Open

Good Day All,

The Centurion lounge is reported as being open in Terminal D @ IAH.

Please focus discussion on the lounge specifics not related to United @ http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post26826458

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.