Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

American Express AX Centurion Lounge at SFO & IAH (IAH Opened Jun 24, 2016 @ Term D)

American Express AX Centurion Lounge at SFO & IAH (IAH Opened Jun 24, 2016 @ Term D)

Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by N1120A
Not going to happen.
I'll quote you on that!!!

Give it a year or two. As I said, they might be willing to give out a couple of visits a year on a $400 annual fee but not much more. Maybe they'll allow the $200 per year Airline fee apply.....that would be four visits per year.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Not going to happen. AMEX is doing everything it can to shore up the devaluations that have occurred due to airline mergers and closer relationship with other card companies. That is why the Centurion Lounges are being built in the first place. If they started charging, they would certainly lose a bunch of people who are already probably wary about the fact that they don't have AA and US access anymore. Indeed, I initially upgraded to AMEX Plat in order to get access to AA lounges after I took my business to AA. Formerly, CO people could also get in to CO lounges with it. That was dropped.
Keep in mind also that the Centurion lounge was originally not free for Plats! So in fact, the current access policy is already a value-add for Platinum card holders.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by gengar
Keep in mind also that the Centurion lounge was originally not free for Plats!
That is true. What seems to be happening though is when they initially thought they had enough extra capacity to open it up to Platinums they thought they could handle the extra volume. However, my own experience is they are already becoming over-crowded. That also seems to be a common complaint on FT.

That's why I predict limits coming. Of course I have no way to know for sure....just a prediction!
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelStar
That is true. What seems to be happening though is when they initially thought they had enough extra capacity to open it up to Platinums they thought they could handle the extra volume. However, my own experience is they are already becoming over-crowded. That also seems to be a common complaint on FT.

That's why I predict limits coming. Of course I have no way to know for sure....just a prediction!
If they institute limits, I'd assume it would be something around space availability. In the bunch of times I've been to the LGA lounge, I haven't seen it overcrowded, so maybe that's more of an SFO issue?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:01 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amex currently charges $50 per visit for any Amex CardMembers (Green, Gold, etc) to their Centurion lounges. Only Centurion and Platinum CardMembers are given free access. Given that the lounges are already regularly filling up, it seems to me they will begin charging Platinums a fee per visit sometime soon.
Or stop allowing paid access. When the LAS Club first opened it was for Centurion cardholders only. Plats could pay for access. No other card members could access the lounge. Then AMEX relaxed the access rules. Seems like some tightening of the rules is in order.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:05 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
If they institute limits, I'd assume it would be something around space availability. In the bunch of times I've been to the LGA lounge, I haven't seen it overcrowded, so maybe that's more of an SFO issue?
DFW also suffers from overcrowding. And if your are at LGA during major weather delays the AMEX lounge is packed.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HNL
DFW also suffers from overcrowding.
That was my experience as well. Left after 15-minutes and went to the Admirals Club.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by HNL
DFW also suffers from overcrowding. And if your are at LGA during major weather delays the AMEX lounge is packed.
+1 on DFW. These lounges are only getting more popular and (over)crowded lounges equal a bad experience.

As other have predicted, I expect limits of some type (beyond "space available") to be imposed.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:40 am

That also seems to be a common complaint on FT.
That's a long list...

I'm thinking the lady meant one of two things, both of which are detrimental to UA.

1) The people working in the UA lounge are recommending their passengers go to Centurion instead, as it is much nicer and has faster internet.

2) Fed up UA PAX are going to Centurion instead. I mean, the natural customer for that lounge will be a UA passenger, as that terminal is UA only.
I too could speculate, like you have, but perhaps from a different perspective.

In reality though, the lounge was slow when I entered (Saturday at 8:30 PM or so), and the front desk agent seemed talkative.

I should have just asked her to clarify, and will try to get more information on my next visit. (The front desk agent happily told me that it was my 4th visit since they opened! This is three more times than I ever visited the SFO United Club, by the way.)

Last edited by LarkSFO; Jan 11, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Agreed, but that's the whole point. If the "Value" received exceeds the amount the customer pays (annual fee) the issuer loses money. At least for customers who use the lounge frequently.

Another possibility might be, say, two free visits per Platinum CardMember per year after which each visit is charged.
The plat card allows free guests. I expect that they will curtail that benefit before charging a fee to plat card holders.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I've been to the SFO Centurion lounge a few times and it's not been over crowded yet. A bit busy, yes, but definitely less crowded than the UC.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:00 pm

After spending a few hours yesterday and today at the LAS Centurion lounge, I'm not quite sure why so many people say it's crowded and small. I found both days to be relatively half-empty with much better food and beverage options. (Though the rest room was a bit on the small side...)
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, US Silver
Originally Posted by SFHokie
After spending a few hours yesterday and today at the LAS Centurion lounge, I'm not quite sure why so many people say it's crowded and small. I found both days to be relatively half-empty with much better food and beverage options. (Though the rest room was a bit on the small side...)
The only gripe of the LAS lounge is that all windows face the bright vegas sun, and the window shades are rather inadequate
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:30 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SFHokie
Agree. I don't see under any circumstance where I'll set foot in the LAS United Club ever again. ^

I had a wonderful Belvedere on the rocks, and my coworker had a nice mimosa...Neither of us are big drinkers, but when the offered beverages are truly premium, and no charge, we'll both splurge.

The chicken was good, the pasta was al dente and flavorful, and the salads refreshing.

As a new Plat Amex cardholder, I can't wait to try the SFO lounge in a few weeks.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
As a new Plat Amex cardholder, I can't wait to try the SFO lounge in a few weeks.
The only "problem" with the SFO lounge from what I can tell is that it's near Gate 74, meaning it's sort of in the middle of nowhere and is a good 10-15 minute walk to the far gates. My solution for that, stop in one of the UCs on the way to the gates as there's a good chance you'll pass one of the three at SFO. Stopping in the UCs is an OK solution to being so parched from that long hike from the AMEX lounge

Originally Posted by jetsetEWR
The only gripe of the LAS lounge is that all windows face the bright vegas sun, and the window shades are rather inadequate
I was there at night and the early morning, didn't experience the light issues, but can see how that would be the case. The windows at the UC are often suffering from the same issue when I've been there!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.