Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ever been declared an unruly passenger? (compensation question)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever been declared an unruly passenger? (compensation question)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by SeamusSA
Sorry, it is very clear cut and not at all arguable - your verbal response was out of line. Your behavior was absolutely contributory, if not causal. Can't hide behind your wife's maternity skirt. Sure, the FA in 1st behaved badly but that does not excuse your behavior. If you are old enough to impregnate someone you are probably too old for the "she started it" defense.
This. ^ Lesson learned hopefully.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by phatonycmu
Out of frustration I briefly cursed her out in a low tone (vs. announcing to the plane my wife's situation) before hurrying back to get the attendant on the drink cart.
This is not an appropriate way to handle any situation, much less on an aircraft. When you curse at folks, the best thing that can happen is they just stop listening to you or walk away. And it can get a lot worse, as you almost found out.

As far as compensation (referenced in your thread title) , you've got to be kidding.

Learn your lesson and move on.

David
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by phatonycmu
?...The attendant in first informed my wife that there were 5 people in line before her and that all first class passengers would get preference. No one else was standing at that time....
This does not matter. UA is getting stricter about passengers congregating up front for the toilet. It doesn't matter if no one was standing - most sit and wait their turn. If I was waiting in my seat to relieve myself and somebody waltzed in from coach and marched up to the front, I'd be P.O.d. I don't know if there were 5 people waiting, but there's a good chance some people were. Pregnant or not, a need to go is a need to go. Pregnancy here is a non-issue.

Cursing to the attendant was not a particularly bright (or classy) thing to do and has no upside.

Originally Posted by kenn0223
I disagree with many of the posters here. Who (the ....) cares if you swear, so long as it's not directed personally at the FA I don't see what the problem is. We can talk about "properness" to no end, but swearing is pervasive in adult society and there is nothing inappropriate about it.

It sounds like, based on your description of the situation, the FA wasn't following the normal social order of things (letting a prego woman use the toilet) so why should you? So long as nothing was threatening I simply don't see the problem and believe you have a valid claim with UA. I don't think it's even worth mentioning the swearing detail any more than its worth...
What are you talking about?

"...Out of frustration I briefly cursed her out in a low tone..."

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 10, 2013 at 5:07 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If I was waiting in my seat to relieve myself and somebody waltzed in from coach and marched up to the front, I'd be P.O.d.
I see what you did there.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:34 pm

The cursing issue is a red herring. If the OP really wants to learn how to handle a situation like this, he needs to learn the #1 UA forum rule. If you get an answer you don't like or is obviously wrong, don't engage or prolong it, talk to someone else right away.

UA can be unreasonable and plain wrong at times and can take actions that feel hurtful (yesterday at ORD, I saw several people crying from multi day weather delays.) To be successful with UA you must be persistent in finding someone who will solve your problem. Don't waste a second on anyone who is the least bit unreasonable, even in an FA crew you will always find one sympathetic ear. However, if you offend one you offend them all.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Brattflyer
The cursing issue is a red herring. If the OP really wants to learn how to handle a situation like this, he needs to learn the #1 UA forum rule. If you get an answer you don't like or is obviously wrong, don't engage or prolong it, talk to someone else right away.

UA can be unreasonable and plain wrong at times and can take actions that feel hurtful (yesterday at ORD, I saw several people crying from multi day weather delays.) To be successful with UA you must be persistent in finding someone who will solve your problem. Don't waste a second on anyone who is the least bit unreasonable, even in an FA crew you will always find one sympathetic ear. However, if you offend one you offend them all.
Yeah, this. Why not just go back to the purser and let them deal with the FA? My guess, heat of the moment.

I'm not into cursing people out myself, but no reason to engage at all when you can have the crew clear it up amongst themselves.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The underlying question of whether OP's wife was authorized to use the F lav or not is not relevant. What OP did was wrong and he is beyond lucky that he wasn't arrested on arrival.

Bring this to UA's attention and the company will always back its flight crew. OP may well wind up as an involuntary former customer.

The solution here was not to curse (whatever that means) the FA, but to go back to the FA who authorized OP's wife to use the F Lav and enlist that FA in solving the problem.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The underlying question of whether OP's wife was authorized to use the F lav or not is not relevant. What OP did was wrong and he is beyond lucky that he wasn't arrested on arrival.

The way people throw around the word "arrest" on here is so comical.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by Often1
Arrested? For what? Your moral high ground isn't the law.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:53 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Axey
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/25/11.441

Although it appears most judges throw this charge out for use of profanity, it isn't a stretch to be arrested for it as a quick google will show that many have. Not that I agree with it, just pointing out that many have been arrested under this charge for just such a thing.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Why do I feel good about my last PVG ORD where I asked the line of 5 people to step aside for the Mom waiting Infant-in-arms?

And I hope you're equally understanding if someone declines to step aside. Some people have medical conditions that don't give them much warning when they need to go.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by fastair
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/25/11.441

Although it appears most judges throw this charge out for use of profanity, it isn't a stretch to be arrested for it as a quick google will show that many have. Not that I agree with it, just pointing out that many have been arrested under this charge for just such a thing.
Hate to break it to you, but last I checked, a plane isn't an Indian reservation...
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Axey
In answer to your question, it is a 20-year federal felony:

An individual on an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States who, by assaulting or intimidating a flight crew member or flight attendant of the aircraft, interferes with the performance of the duties of the member or attendant or lessens the ability of the member or attendant to perform those duties, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be fined under title 18, imprisoned for not more than 20 years, or both. However, if a dangerous weapon is used in assaulting or intimidating the member or attendant, the individual shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life. 49 USC 46504

Don't kid yourself. There stations where the arrest would have been made.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Hate to break it to you, but last I checked, a plane isn't an Indian reservation...
Never let facts get in the way of amateur legal googling.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by 5khours
Moral of the story. Don't use curse words with people you don't know unless you're looking for a fight. Looks like you got one and lost.
Yep, this.

You completely had my sympathy until the cursing. You have to know that that is unacceptable and makes it LESS likely that you will get what you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.