Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ever been declared an unruly passenger? (compensation question)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever been declared an unruly passenger? (compensation question)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by kaell
What are you talking about guys,

Pregnant, disabled, eldery are top priority, end of story. This FA was stupid should be fired immediately. End of story.
To the extent that a pregnancy might be disabling or causing problems, I'll agree. But automatic deference in all things simply because someone's pregnant?

Extra help & consideration should always be shown those who legitimately need it. They shouldn't have to fit into some pre-determined box. And all this focus on the FA involved and still no mention of the other people in line who must have become aware of the situation through the likely-spirited discussion with the FA? Are we so dependent upon laws and rules that we think everyone's taken care of, no need to step in and help someone who needs help?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by weero
Not your fault but such guidelines make it overly attractive to pull the "offense card" replacing the potential risk of offending someone with outright legalized blackmail. Such an unfair weapon existed for a long time with the harassment battle axe and it is beyond unwise to extend the arms race to the abstract matter of being entitled to be offended.
Having worked with actual bigots and womanizers, I would say that the weapons against harassment are barely sufficient and not oversized.

In either case such over-protection of sentiments must not extend to customers, they should be entitled to offend all they want.
Each business has a choice regarding application of bigotry and harassment to their staff, but I think holding customers to professional standards against bigotry and harassment is a good business practice.

Say "you petty, ill mooded, creature!" - offensive, very likely inappropriate, and inaccurate but with absolute certainty not threatening.
There's no cursing in your example. Even if all you do is add adjectival cursing, I think the statement becomes abusive. Add in some cursing as nouns and I think you've crossed the line where I'm not sure what you're going to turn words into action and start being physically abusive.

Originally Posted by kaell
What are you talking about guys,

Pregnant, disabled, eldery are top priority, end of story. This FA was stupid should be fired immediately. End of story.
I think most folks on the board agree, the question is whether that opinion should be acted on while onboard?

Answer: no
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Was on the TLV-EWR flight a week ago. Had ordered some duty free and gave the FA my 1K card for the discount along with my cc. After a while she came back saying something was wrong and they couldn't process my MP account number for the discount. Since I really didn't need the item, I asked her to take it back and murmured "Smisek" under my breath. FA heard my mumble and thought I was swearing at her. "What did you say?" When I repeated "Smisek" and then explained it was what we FTers curse when anything goes wrong on UA these days, she laughed...but for a few seconds I thought she might report me to the pilot and return with plastic restraints!
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by lensman
There's no cursing in your example. Even if all you do is add adjectival cursing, I think the statement becomes abusive. Add in some cursing as nouns and I think you've crossed the line where I'm not sure what you're going to turn words into action and start being physically abusive.
If an adult can't determine someone being upset and irritated vs a true threat that person should not be working as FA, period. Cultural differences alone wipe out so much of what amounts to you implying you're a universal victim.

Suppose a FA tells me I can't use a lav and I say, "what a bulls__ policy". According to your "victim logic" you could (falsely) try and claim you don't know my intentions and say I am a threat and you, me, and everyone around would not that's not the case.

Many times the problem is HOW the FA says and deals with the situation they ellicits the responses they get from pax. But a blanket statement that "any curse" is a threat is proposterous.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wethereyet
Suppose a FA tells me I can't use a lav and I say, "what a bulls__ policy". According to your "victim logic" you could (falsely) try and claim you don't know my intentions and say I am a threat and you, me, and everyone around would not that's not the case.
That's adjectival cursing. "bull____" is used as an adjective to describe the policy. In my taxonomy of cursing, it is non-threatening.

But a blanket statement that "any curse" is a threat is proposterous.
I agree. I said that cursing *at* someone is threatening. By implication, cursing about a policy or situation is not particularly threatening. It is impolite, unprofessional and escalatory, but I wouldn't call it threatening.

It's no surprise to me that FAs overreact. Half the posters here seem to misunderstand the written word and overreact. It's crazy! Thank goodness we have forum rules against personal attacks and threats or I'd be in trouble!
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If OP wants compensation, he should claim that he was suffering from an acute case of coprolalia.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Extra help & consideration should always be shown those who legitimately need it.
How is the FA supposed to determine the legitimacy of the bathroom need? They have little medical training.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
How is the FA supposed to determine the legitimacy of the bathroom need? They have little medical training.
Nor have they likely dealt with a classroom full of seventh graders. It's not that hard to tell when someone really has to go.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lensman
I agree. I said that cursing *at* someone is threatening.
Cursing at someone simply isn't threatening. I'm surprised that there are adults who think it is.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, CX Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by elynchking
The blog post was pretty even handed. If this had happened to me, I'm not sure I'd be that fair.
I had exactly the same impression, astounded at the blog replies that indicated he deserved it.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kettle1
I agree with most of this and also stated "a bit more extreme". Below are a few more cases I found on Google in about 3 minutes. The OP was not arrested, but questioned in Mexico, by the police.

Remember we are only hearing one side of the story here. I am not defending UA (read my above posts).

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1034511

http://www.adn.com/2013/08/20/303432...-land-her.html

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/06...eo--90310.html

http://www.newser.com/story/120886/m...r-cursing.html

"If the OP's story is correct" - this is the key.

The OP says this is a compensation-question, from who UA? How much should it be? I say zero.
I didn't see any defending of UA in your quotes, I think we both agree that the poster has left out a few details. I don't see any reason for compensation on the OPs part as their behavior at a minimum contributed to the situation.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Cursing at someone simply isn't threatening. I'm surprised that there are adults who think it is.
Nope. If the FA had really been "threatened" OP would have wound up wearing plastic bracelets. But the FA undoubtedly felt disrespected, and to someone on a power trip, that's essentially the same offense
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, until the FA comes here and posts how the confrontation felt in their eyes we will never know the whole truth.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Baze
Well, until the FA comes here and posts how the confrontation felt in their eyes we will never know the whole truth.
Not to mention sworn statements from three or four uninvolved witnesses, since OP and the FA might not be entirely objective on the subject
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not to mention sworn statements from three or four uninvolved witnesses, since OP and the FA might not be entirely objective on the subject
But does it really matter how the witnesses think it went down? In the end it was how the FA perceived what was said and a witness would never know that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.