Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade PlusPoints (was GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays"

"Upgrade PlusPoints (was GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays"

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 7, 19, 3:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 17, 19, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Emailed MP from my registered Email address .... finally got a response today.
Successful redeposit?

David
Old Apr 17, 19, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Successful redeposit?

David
yep
DELee likes this.
Old Apr 17, 19, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
The call, while a bit of a hassle, always works for me as well. I admittedly have not used the email technique, I guess I prefer instant gratification.
While getting a RPU or GPU back is important, having to set aside a block of time where I won't be interrupted in calling United to pull back an instrument is a bit of pain. Sometimes it is easy. Most often it is not easy and they still have to go and get the MPSC involved anyway.

I can more easily a) go grab the PNR and ticket info and b) simply submit the request via either the web or e-mail and c) not have to sit around on the phone on hold.

Now if UA would enable MPSC to apply a RPU or GPU to a specific segment or, better yet, be able to do that via the web or app as well as enable you to pull them back when unused post-flight(s), that would be great.

David
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 19, 9:31 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Now if UA would enable MPSC to apply a RPU or GPU to a specific segment or, better yet, be able to do that via the web or app as well as enable you to pull them back when unused post-flight(s), that would be great.
I always thought that's allowed. No?
Old Apr 17, 19, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by bdw1120 View Post
It is. And you can do via web. EDIT, apparently you can't. Sorry!

Just not the getting back part

Last edited by ryman554; Apr 17, 19 at 11:20 pm
Old Apr 17, 19, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryman554 View Post
It is. And you can do via web.
Uh, no.

I have a sequence of flight segments, for instance, coming up that I'm going from IAD through IAH to DFW - see below.

Online, if I apply an instrument (RPU or GPU), the website only allows me to apply it to the sequence of flights, not individual segments. To do that (apply to one specific segment), I have to call.

David
Old Apr 17, 19, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Perhaps ryman554 was referring to the ability to apply to only one leg of a roundtrip or multi-city itinerary, e.g., just the outbound on a roundtrip.
Old Apr 17, 19, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Uh, no.

I have a sequence of flight segments, for instance, coming up that I'm going from IAD through IAH to DFW - see below.

Online, if I apply an instrument (RPU or GPU), the website only allows me to apply it to the sequence of flights, not individual segments. To do that (apply to one specific segment), I have to call.

David
Hm.

I stand correct and sincerely apologise for fake news.

Did I misremember that we used to be able to do this and selected segments at will?

Man, I'm going senile...
Old Apr 18, 19, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by bdw1120 View Post
It's not. I have to call in to do this.
Old Apr 23, 19, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ryman554 View Post
Hm.

I stand correct and sincerely apologise for fake news.

Did I misremember that we used to be able to do this and selected segments at will?

Man, I'm going senile...
Yes we used to be able to do this! Although it's possible I'm senile as well.
Old Apr 24, 19, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
SNA becoming impossible.

I've had 4 transcons to SNA in the last 2 weeks, routing through DEN/IAH, and one non-stop, and I haven't cleared one (hub to/from SNA) RPU. This is way worse than normal for me.

I guess that there are more and more pax buying-up to F at the last minute because there were 4-6 open seats within 48 hours on most of these flights and they closed-out within 24.
Old Apr 24, 19, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
I've had 4 transcons to SNA in the last 2 weeks, routing through DEN/IAH, and one non-stop, and I haven't cleared one (hub to/from SNA) RPU. This is way worse than normal for me.

I guess that there are more and more pax buying-up to F at the last minute because there were 4-6 open seats within 48 hours on most of these flights and they closed-out within 24.
Last year I had at least 2 RTs in and out of SNA and used instruments on all flights, NONE cleared (1k at the time). I have found that there is a fair large number of elites pax out of SAN despite its size.
Old Apr 24, 19, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year I had at least 2 RTs in and out of SNA and used instruments on all flights, NONE cleared (1k at the time). I have found that there is a fair large number of elites pax out of SAN despite its size.
SAN or SNA?

David
Old Apr 24, 19, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
SAN or SNA?

David
Sorry typo, SNA (Orange County John Wayne). Although I also fly frequently into SAN and actually have better luck with upgrades into SAN than SNA.
Old Apr 24, 19, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry typo, SNA (Orange County John Wayne). Although I also fly frequently into SAN and actually have better luck with upgrades into SAN than SNA.
Understood. Had looked at UA transcon flights out of both SNA and SAN since some of them have 752s flying (and avoiding SFO connections) but the fare cost uppers vs. LAX (at least for me) are prohibitive.

David

Search this Thread