Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DFWFairy
So I was able to apply a GPU on HKG-ORD flight at time of booking, however, on my same-day connection ORD-DFW was in Economy and it does not show I'm on waitlist for F. Is this normal?
How long is your ORD connection?

If more than 4h the GPU won't automatically apply to ORD-DFW. Furthermore some (most?) agents will balk if you ask to add ORD-DFW, but you can keep trying and someone may do it.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
The days are gone of clearing at, what is it 96 hrs for GS and 72 hours for 1K, are gone.
It's 120 and 96, and I had an upgrade clear at T-96 just last week.

Yes, they seem to be holding off more frequently than they used to. Overall, that's mostly a good thing for high status passengers if they frequently make last-minute purchases or changes (e.g., SDC), or for people who buy domestic first class seats, and it's an unequivocal bad thing for lower-tier elites or people who never buy last minute or change their tickets. Yes, it can lead to UA selling a couple of additional TODs that might push a GS or a 1K out of an upgrade, but it also means that if you're making last-minute plans, as a GS/1K, you still have a chance to get upgraded, which you wouldn't if they'd run the full list at each of the upgrade windows. So, it's a mixed bag, really.

Of course, if you're a Plat or Gold, the last thing you want is to see a high-tier member snipe an upgrade via a late purchase or SDC.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
It's only a 2.5-hr layover at ORD.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: 1K
I’ve had all mine clear, but usually on E175s or 737-900s where first was basically empty a couple of weeks out.

On the other hand just last week had 6 GS preboard ahead of me on a CRJ 700 and all sat in back until one got moved post boarding. I was 7 on the list as a 1K with an instrument.

Lastly, since I had some success using my RPUs on the Ms early in the year and because of the coming change in MP (are they now Mileage Pesos) I’ve been spending down my balance in UA by throwing MUA awards at any flight approaching 2hrs or more. I suspect GS are doing the same and is the reason why I’m so far down the list these days even on a MUA.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zdog2x
I suspect GS are doing the same and is the reason why I’m so far down the list these days even on a MUA.
No real need. GS CPUs are ahead of 1K instruments.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Admittedly not a big data point here as only GS this year but since my CPU success as a GS has been dismal at best I have been throwing instruments (including MUAs) at TCON and long haul domestic flights. As previously stated I have had better luck with upgrades with instruments as GS and tend to agree with the anticipated devaluation of MP program (mileage pesos) I have been using my instruments quite a bit lately be it miles or GPU/RPUs.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Admittedly not a big data point here as only GS this year but since my CPU success as a GS has been dismal at best I have been throwing instruments (including MUAs) at TCON and long haul domestic flights. As previously stated I have had better luck with upgrades with instruments as GS and tend to agree with the anticipated devaluation of MP program (mileage pesos) I have been using my instruments quite a bit lately be it miles or GPU/RPUs.
OK, but you're basically jockeying for position among other GSes at that point, or trying to secure an upgrade before the CPU window opens. For a CPU-eligible flight, if you don't apply an instrument, you should still be on the visible list ahead of any 1K who has applied an instrument.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
OK, but you're basically jockeying for position among other GSes at that point, or trying to secure an upgrade before the CPU window opens. .
Yeap, you got it. With miles/pesos to burn and a pocket full of instruments why not. Earlier in the year I ran "bare" and as stated had dismal luck with CPUs even as GS. I have even posted on other threads that I was surprised to see myself at below 5 routinely on upgrade list with zero chance of upgrades. Now with applying instruments I am typically #1 or 2 and have pretty good all be it late luck.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by nomad420; Aug 7, 2019 at 11:25 am
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
OK, but you're basically jockeying for position among other GSes at that point, or trying to secure an upgrade before the CPU window opens. For a CPU-eligible flight, if you don't apply an instrument, you should still be on the visible list ahead of any 1K who has applied an instrument.
Within 120-hour on CPU-eligible flight, a GS with RPU vs a GS for CPU, who wins?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Air India Maharaja Club, Lufthansa FT, Jet Airways Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by runningpoints
Been pretty lucky with clearing lately! Had PZ=4 at booking for LAX - EWR on Aug 21. Used 2 RPUs for 2 pax instantly. Used all my RPUs and GPUs for 2020.
Used all my RPUs expiring in 2021 too already since I re-qualified for 1K in June.
I have to agree - I'm already re-thinking the fact that I've burned mine for all of 2020 since I can't get any more RPUs now..
But overall clearing should become a lot easier - Less instruments in circulation, less instruments being used by friends of friends of friends who have no status and have probably never flown UA before.
2020 will tell it's own story once it loses a lot of 1K's that don't meet their new 15k spend requirement ! (I'm at $2k but 160k miles - Foreign address trick does the job)!

If only PN=1 then the RPU.. But otherwise, all GS are top priority regardless. If PN>1 at T-120, it's all the same and a waste of an RPU

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 7, 2019 at 5:26 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
Within 120-hour on CPU-eligible flight, a GS with RPU vs a GS for CPU, who wins?
GS with instrument trumps GS with no instrument.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Yes, they seem to be holding off more frequently than they used to. Overall, that's mostly a good thing for high status passengers if they frequently make last-minute purchases or changes (e.g., SDC), or for people who buy domestic first class seats ...
What's the logic behind this even mattering to paid F pax? Are you thinking of SDCs and irrops?

Originally Posted by zdog2x
... are they now Mileage Pesos ...
How about MP inches?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by iapetus
What's the logic behind this even mattering to paid F pax? Are you thinking of SDCs and irrops?
With every cabin going to F2 at T-24 and the usual complement of buyups it was not uncommon for the next available seat on SFO-WAS to be 28+ hours away. A high-margin route like that might not change too much, but it was definitely frustrating during IRROPS.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
On the battlefield, yes.

Outside of the CPU window, certainly not.

Inside the GS CPU window but before T-30... who knows what bucket GS CPU clears into?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by ryman554
On the battlefield, yes.

Outside of the CPU window, certainly not.

Inside the GS CPU window but before T-30... who knows what bucket GS CPU clears into?
Wondering that myself. I always was under the impression (apparently wrong!) that the instrument had higher priority even once the windows start opening and past T-24. That said GS having priority makes sense as a silver on a MUA shouldn’t trump a GS or 1K for that matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.