Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by ryman554
so, was there any indication on your reservation? Something like "pz requested" instead of "upgrade requested"? How can such a thing happen? And what is the PD list for?
No indication. Everything appeared normal (upgrade requested, supported with GPU). After our corp TA issued the tickets, I requested upgrades for SFO-EWR (RPU, waitlisted), EWR-CDG (miles, confirmed at booking), FRA-SFO (GPU, waitlisted); all done using United.com. Everything seemed normal. The first hint was where I placed on the SFO-EWR upgrade list a week ago.

The 1K phone agent said PB is for 1Ks and PD is for something else, but I have no idea what. According to the gate agent these lists only matter in the reservation system but not at the gate, which jives with the understanding upgrades comprehensively thread. The 1K agent was pretty adamant something had gone wrong with the way United.com placed me on the upgrade lists, and saw it very quickly when I called in. I guess the learning from this is to request upgrades over the phone, as this is the Nth issue I've had with upgrades in the last few months (GPUs not being pulled, leading to an 'unsupported upgrade' issue; weirdness on the waitlist prioritization where I've felt oddly low (several times); upgrades failing to be requested online, etc etc).

Originally Posted by jsloan
It's not a question of what that list's for; it's. question of who should be on it. Check out this post from the award waitlist thread. The lists are PA, PB, PC, and PD (I'm guessing 'Premier A' -- could be 'Priority A'). PA is Global Services; PB is 1K; PC is Plat/Gold, and PD is Silver and GM. (Please don't ask me why they need four lists ). Within each list, prioritization is supposed to be based on status, fare class, and time entered onto the list. These lists are then cleared in order for upgrades -- PA, PB, PC, and PD.

A 1K erroneously placed onto the PD list would be the first person on that list -- but would be behind all other 1Ks (from PB) as well as all Plat and Gold customers (from PC).

OP: I would write to UA and complain.
That is an interesting reference for the lists. I'm surprised 1K and *G are the same priority. Thanks for posting the link.

I have indeed written to 1Kvoice.

Last edited by ajnz; Apr 13, 2019 at 10:53 am
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ajnz
The 1K phone agent said PB is for 1Ks and PD is for something else, but I have no idea what. According to the gate agent these lists only matter in the reservation system but not at the gate, which jives with the understanding upgrades comprehensively thread. The 1K agent was pretty adamant something had gone wrong with the way United.com placed me on the upgrade lists, and saw it very quickly when I called in. I guess the learning from this is to request upgrades over the phone, as this is the Nth issue I've had with upgrades in the last few months (GPUs not being pulled, leading to an 'unsupported upgrade' issue; weirdness on the waitlist prioritization where I've felt oddly low (several times); upgrades failing to be requested online, etc etc)..
FWIW I always request the upgrades OVER THE PHONE. While it can't help get you an upgrade as you can see from my multiple above posts about failure of clearance of my instruments, I have not had these type of issues. I will say that I have seen my name surprising low on the list many times even now as a GS using an instrument but I just assumed that it is what it is. I assume the PA, PB, PC, PD list are not publicly visible? If so I would like to see a link to this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
I assume the PA, PB, PC, PD list are not publicly visible?
That's correct.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ajnz
The helpdesk couldn’t fix it and annotated the PNR for the Gate. The gate agent couldn’t / wouldn’t do anything about it, so I here I sit waiting for departure and seeing upgrades that have cleared ahead of me.
The GA can absolutely fix this. Complain.

Glad it worked out for you.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Is anyone else having trouble getting RPU's and GPU's redeposited to their accounts after a failure? I'm 0/4 for my own RPU requests and 0/2 on GPU's I sponsored for a friend. I've never had this problem happen so often and wonder if its a trend? Oh, and to this specific topic, thats 6/6 upgrade failures already this year, and often after being 5-15 on the list as a 1K.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
Is anyone else having trouble getting RPU's and GPU's redeposited to their accounts after a failure? I'm 0/4 for my own RPU requests and 0/2 on GPU's I sponsored for a friend. I've never had this problem happen so often and wonder if its a trend? Oh, and to this specific topic, thats 6/6 upgrade failures already this year, and often after being 5-15 on the list as a 1K.
I had to call after my misses this year too... not a single one has automatically re-deposited. Wish IT could get this one resolved because it's annoying.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
Preaching to the choir here. Last year I had to call probably 3 times to get instruments back that didn't clear. It was such and incredible hassle, you (often) call to place them, you watch them for weeks to months and nothing happens, you then wait at the gate for that last possibility of clearing them, they ultimately don't clear, and then you have to hassle with calling them to get them redeposited! I ate a dozen of them last year and not without trying. I think I had six clear all year and not without trying. I don't even attempt to use them on TATLs and TPACs, haven't for 3 years now. I did throw them at virtually every domestic flight I booked last year and ATTEMPTED to gift them numerous times with zero success. To be fair the 3 times I had to call to get them redeposited probably represented only a small fraction of the times I attempted to actually use them.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Re: Recovery of unused RPUs/GPUs when not automatically re-deposited

Recommendation: Submit a request through the Mileage Plus Service Center with something like....

PNR: WWTTFF; Ticket #: 0161234567890
Travel Date: 00 April 2019
Request recovery of unused RPU applied to UA2400 BOS-SFO segment on 04/00/19 and redeposit into my Mileage Plus account (XX123456).
I usually get them back within a few hours. Also then I don't have to spend time on the phone reciting numbers, etc.

David
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
Re: Recovery of unused RPUs/GPUs when not automatically re-deposited

Recommendation: Submit a request through the Mileage Plus Service Center with something like....

I usually get them back within a few hours. Also then I don't have to spend time on the phone reciting numbers, etc.

David
Did that a week ago. No response from MP and certificate is still not back.
UA's IT situation is getting worse every day.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
Back in January I called and had my GPU redeposited within 2 minutes of talking to an agent.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you use the MP Service Center contact page (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...countInfo.aspx)? Were you logged into your MP account?

David
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
Back in January I called and had my GPU redeposited within 2 minutes of talking to an agent.
The call, while a bit of a hassle, always works for me as well. I admittedly have not used the email technique, I guess I prefer instant gratification.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you use the MP Service Center contact page (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...countInfo.aspx)? Were you logged into your MP account?

David
Emailed MP from my registered Email address .... finally got a response today.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Emailed MP from my registered Email address .... finally got a response today.
Successful redeposit?

David
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Successful redeposit?

David
yep
DELee likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.