Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by narvik
If the past experiences with United are anything to go by, it won't be that there will be positive impacts for the fewer 1Ks, but rather that the benefits will stay the same for fewer people, and be worse for all the others that don't make the cut.
But I hope I am wrong!
There has been none of the "thinning of the ranks" predicted when UA first implemented PQD six years ago, nor when they raised the number to $12k a few years later. To the contrary, I'm fairly certain there are substantially more 1Ks now than there were then. I expect more of the same at the $15k level.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
I expect more of the same at the $15k level.
I do not agree. I know a few 1K friends/colleagues. They are all giving up 1K status for next year due to the PQD raise from 12K to 15K. Compared to the raise from 10K to 12K a few years back, this raise from 12K to 15K poses a bigger problem for some people. The 1K herds will be smaller next year, which is my prediction.
uanj, chavala and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
To the contrary, I'm fairly certain there are substantially more 1Ks now than there were then. I expect more of the same at the $15k level.
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Compared to the raise from 10K to 12K a few years back, this raise from 12K to 15K poses a bigger problem for some people. The 1K herds will be smaller next year, which is my prediction.
I also think this time around it will affect quite a few people. More than previously.
The P class devaluation to reach PQM coupled with $15K PQD will be tough for quite a few, and I doubt there's sufficient up-and-coming lower ranks to take their place...
We shall see, or not: hard to say if we will even notice an increase or decrease.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I do not agree. I know a few 1K friends/colleagues. They are all giving up 1K status for next year due to the PQD raise from 12K to 15K. Compared to the raise from 10K to 12K a few years back, this raise from 12K to 15K poses a bigger problem for some people. The 1K herds will be smaller next year, which is my prediction.
I believe you are correct. Raising the PQD from $12K to $15K definitely poses a bigger problem for many people. It is more difficult to reach $15K spend on economy tix alone. It becomes more likely that you must be prepared to buy business class tix.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Duke777
Managed to clear my SO using an RPU on DCA-SFO (Monday) and SFO-IAD (Tuesday). She's a Gold. Was not expecting them to clear.
Wow!

I do not agree. I know a few 1K friends/colleagues. They are all giving up 1K status for next year due to the PQD raise from 12K to 15K. Compared to the raise from 10K to 12K a few years back, this raise from 12K to 15K poses a bigger problem for some people.
I was fairly certain that I would be one of those people thusly affected by the raise in the PQD requirement. To the contrary, I don't think that this will be a problem for me. I'm already nearly 60% of the way there with the travel I have booked (not yet flown), and I have at least two more TATLs and much more domestic travel to book. I'm actually more worried about the PQM this year, but I think that's an easier problem to solve.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
1K for any international business flyer seems like a foregone conclusion. I just finished an Asia R/T in full J and earned a bit over 50K EQMs. Two trips and you get 1K.

The domestic guys have it harder. Going from $12k to $15k will thin the mostly domestic flyer 1K ranks a bit, but the overall 1K ranks swelled when they made PQM earning much easier. So the small reduction thanks to the higher qualification bar is still unlikely to shrink the total to below where we were before 2x EQMs were the norm.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by cmhua777
I just finished an Asia R/T in full J and earned a bit over 50K EQMs. Two trips and you get 1K.
(bolding mine)

The bolded part is the problem!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by narvik
The bolded part is the problem!
+1 Not all businesses pay for their business travelers to fly in J. :shrug:
narvik, chavala, jjmoore and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by cmhua777
1K for any international business flyer seems like a foregone conclusion. I just finished an Asia R/T in full J and earned a bit over 50K EQMs. Two trips and you get 1K.

The domestic guys have it harder. Going from $12k to $15k will thin the mostly domestic flyer 1K ranks a bit, but the overall 1K ranks swelled when they made PQM earning much easier. So the small reduction thanks to the higher qualification bar is still unlikely to shrink the total to below where we were before 2x EQMs were the norm.
Most of my travel is international and through the end of July I will have >100,000 PQMs and $9,000 PQDs. My GPU for my flight on Sunday went unused so back into the pool.

GPUs going unused makes me think not worth the effort to meet the PQD requirement. I believe there are a number of us who fly on our own dime (not OPM). With more PP availability that is probably going to be my choice on UA international red eye flights.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
On one point, the availability of discount business on UA definitely seems to vary with the dates of travel. Sometimes you can't find less that $9K on dates when I routinely traveled for $3K in the past, other times there are lots of $2.8K options, and even PZ at booking. Overall, cheap business on UA TATL does seem less available.

I also think that that 15K PQD requirement will have an impact on the number of 1Ks. I will probably not make it next year, barring a major change, and I was thinking just this morning as I was boarding a flight that I will miss it next year. The loss of GPUs will be offset by the fact that miles and copay are not really that much different. Also, with the food on BA becoming so much better, and my last TATL on them so pleasant, I was thinking of buying PE on BA and upgrading with Avios from credit cards more often anyway unless PZ is available or it is a direct flight at a comparable cost. Certainly if UA is more expensive. I am not anti-UA but also not loyal - if other airlines offer better business class for cheaper, I am happy to switch.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: 1K
I had given up for this year with the new PQD given a change in work to a startup where there is no international and they want to save money at every corner, but a couple of TATL flights with Ms. for pleasure I might just make it.

One the upgrades front, just used my last 2018 upgrade (extended GPU) for EWR-DEN; 20 seat 7-900 and I got the only upgrade. Lots of corp non-revs in J so might have been a factor.

In 2020 I don't see how I can make 15/100 - or whatever they raise it to.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I believe there are a number of us who fly on our own dime (not OPM). With more PP availability that is probably going to be my choice on UA international red eye flights.
I'm sort of in the same boat. I very rarely have to travel for work, so I've been making 1K (for the past 8 years) on my own dime. Looking at my current numbers and planned travel, I will sail over 100K PQM's, but will have to stretch a bit to hit $15K PQD's. I will likely do it this year, as most of my GPU's do clear. (I can't say the same for my RPU's -- I usually lose one or two per year -- and not for lack of trying.)

As the ability to book PP in advance increases, the GPU's will become less valuable. If I'm not striving for 1K, booking PP and using miles and co-pay if I can't get a good P fare will probably outweigh the 1K benefits if it becomes a matter of stretching by $3K or more.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
My 6 GPUs are going to go to waste this year. Tried using them early in the year, nothing cleared. With a young child and wanting to spend more time with family, means I much rather stay home and only travel on family trips together. Will be dropping from 1k to Gold next year for sure.
7300ponce likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
My 6 GPUs are going to go to waste this year. Tried using them early in the year, nothing cleared. With a young child and wanting to spend more time with family, means I much rather stay home and only travel on family trips together. Will be dropping from 1k to Gold next year for sure.
In 2017 I must have dumped 10 of them. It was pathetic. I threw them at EVERYTHING I flew with minimal clearance. Last year same experience. Cleared some earlier this year on domestic flights, mostly short hauls. Then got GS status bestowed upon me literally on the last day of Jan. I would say the only benefit I have noted is that instruments do seem to clear easier as GS but unfortunately until I hit 100K this year I now only have a few left. Funny, when you have them you can't use them and when you seemingly can use them you don't have them.
IADFlyer123 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I've already used all mine except 1, which I plan to extend until mid-2020.
I'm flying all combo tickets (GPU in one direction / P or Z in the other). It makes it a LOT easier if you're only looking for PZ one way -- of course I still have to be flexible and it's mostly Tue or Wed travel, and plan I ahead.
I never EVER wait list. I only use them if confirmed at booking. I never threw out a GPU or gave one away. (RPUs yes)

The title of this thread is dumb. They are not useless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.