Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by nomad420
At this point it is all about managing my expectations I guess.
I think that that is a sad, yet universal, truth.
Phil Level and nomad420 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
I need to fly EWR-CPH next month and had some flexibility so asked the 1K phone agent to look for any availability leaving either Wednesday 3/20 or Thursday 3/21, at any time, connecting through anywhere in Europe. No dice -- no PZ availability on a single flight EWR-Europe on either day!! Guess the GPU I had extended until April because I wasn't able to use all of mine in 2018 is going to go unused.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by dc89
I need to fly EWR-CPH next month and had some flexibility so asked the 1K phone agent to look for any availability leaving either Wednesday 3/20 or Thursday 3/21, at any time, connecting through anywhere in Europe. No dice -- no PZ availability on a single flight EWR-Europe on either day!! Guess the GPU I had extended until April because I wasn't able to use all of mine in 2018 is going to go unused.
Might check IAD, too, if you don't mind an extra connection. But if you have a credit card that transfers to Avios, check BA for PE to CW upgrade. That is what I am doing about the same time TATL due not only to the absence of PZ but J fares that are really out of whack (USD 9K+).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
OT, but UA has W fares to NRT sub-$800 from a few US cities. just a heads up.

Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by findark
It's pretty fascinating to compare that list against the public list though. The length implies it is something like all Premiers, but almost everyone on the real list is very high up on the long list... not entirely sure what can be concluded here.
Sorry for being dense, and I did read back through the thread, but how do you get to the “hidden” (eligible passenger ranking) list?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, please forgive my naïveté, but aren't you presuming that the upgrade wouldn't clear eventually? I don't think that I've ever booked a flight with PZ > 0, but I have had GPUs clear. I'm counting on this when I fly to Europe next month.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by iapetus
So, please forgive my naïveté, but aren't you presuming that the upgrade wouldn't clear eventually?
Sadly that isn't unusual these days. PZ space on those flights is truly a like seeing a unicorn and I have certainly been burned waiting my GPU to clear.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by djmp
Sorry for being dense, and I did read back through the thread, but how do you get to the “hidden” (eligible passenger ranking) list?
Sometimes when you are offered a cash upgrade offer, they will purportedly show you the "customers eligible for upgrade" which is this "hidden" list.
djmp likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
I've never found GPU space out of Newark. Other cities, including SFO, I have much better luck.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmack
I've never found GPU space out of Newark.
The first time I ever applied a GPU was EWR-FRA. And it cleared!

And then my inbound was delayed on the ground at EWR ... and I missed my connection. I flew over on a 757 to LHR in E+.

My luck has been better since.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays"

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 27, 2019 at 11:54 pm
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
FWIW, been applying my two extended 2018 GPUs expiring on 04/30/19 on t.p.s./p.t.s. flight segments only.

This past week on SFO-BOS and then EWR-SFO both were used as last minute upgrades into J. SFO-BOS was on a 752 and then EWR-SFO was on a 781.

I've also learned to apply the instruments as close to T-24 as possible. UA's system seems to hate having RPU/GPU instruments applied and, once applied to any specific segment such as a t.p.s./p.t.s. route, refuses to then let me know what any of the buy up offers are for all segments.

David
tstauck likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I had the system eat an RPU after making a change on a weather waiver. I'm seriously debating whether it's worth calling to get it back considering I've had zero luck even getting into the top 5 on the upgrade list with an RPU so far this year. I'm currently sitting at 15th on what must be an insanely elite heavy flight, with an upgrade list about 100 people long. Last year I had no problem using my RPUs, maybe I should fly to Mexico for a weekend, those flights seem to be the best shot!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by zymm
I had the system eat an RPU after making a change on a weather waiver. I'm seriously debating whether it's worth calling to get it back considering I've had zero luck even getting into the top 5 on the upgrade list with an RPU so far this year. I'm currently sitting at 15th on what must be an insanely elite heavy flight, with an upgrade list about 100 people long. Last year I had no problem using my RPUs, maybe I should fly to Mexico for a weekend, those flights seem to be the best shot!
Its too early in the year to let it go. Email customer service and it is likely you will get it reinstated.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zymm
It will certainly be returned if you ask (phone or email).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.