Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by findark
Also on UA, you can actually search for flights with confirmable upgrades.
Search, yes, Find....well, that is more difficult!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:38 am

Not sure if this is the right place, but new to this so..

I'm looking to use a GPU on an upcoming trip, IAD-LIS, BCN-IAD. On the BCN-IAD leg, there is open PZ space, and I understand I need to book at least the W fare class to be eligible. Is there a guideline or rule of thumb around whether this is a "good" value for using a GPU?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by adams828
I'm looking to use a GPU on an upcoming trip, IAD-LIS, BCN-IAD. On the BCN-IAD leg, there is open PZ space, and I understand I need to book at least the W fare class to be eligible. Is there a guideline or rule of thumb around whether this is a "good" value for using a GPU?
I suspect most around here would say if you can confirm Polaris at booking, that's a good use of a GPU. I'll probably wind up burning a couple on SFO-LAX otherwise they'll expire unused.
jsloan, findark and nomad420 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I suspect most around here would say if you can confirm Polaris at booking, that's a good use of a GPU. I'll probably wind up burning a couple on SFO-LAX otherwise they'll expire unused.
Just tried burning a couple up yesterday on just a LAS-SFO run, it was a joke. I applied it weeks ago and as I was #8 on the upgrade list, not even close. This is a one hour flight with GPU and a 1K, I stop even trying to figure out WHY they don't clear.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
It had been awhile since I looked seriously for upgrade space. Wow have things changed for the worse. This is ridiculous.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
It had been awhile since I looked seriously for upgrade space. Wow have things changed for the worse. This is ridiculous.
Beyond ridiculous. I've never seen it this bad.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I give these things (instruments) another couple of years and UA will have to change this supposed "benefit program". I ate 8 last year and from what I am seeing and reading 2019 looks worse. Some still seem to be able to find P space, mostly mid week international flights but for the most part you play the pay and wait game.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Any reports/experience of contacting the CFPB or FTC to see what type of reaction they receive?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 100% Green
Any reports/experience of contacting the CFPB or FTC to see what type of reaction they receive?
They'll disclaim jurisdiction.

Even if they didn't, it wouldn't matter. United can point to plenty of customers who are receiving the advertised benefits.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Haven't seen any reports of contacts, but I expect the reaction will be laughter....
MileagePlus T&Cs are well covered to protect this type of thing...
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Haven't seen any reports of contacts, but I expect the reaction will be laughter....
MileagePlus T&Cs are well covered to protect this type of thing...
Of course but I see more of an issue with their elites slowly moving to where the grass is greener. I have been saying for the past 18 months I have slowly been migrating to AS, for me it works but tough to stop completely given status I have with UA and now having essentially zero status with AS. I already did two years of a status match that worked out pretty well and got CPU'ed in their program approx %60, not happening with UA. TPAC and TATLs still running with UA for now.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
They'll disclaim jurisdiction.
Or, more precisely, they'll correctly respond that they have no jurisdiction.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:34 pm

Well, so much for that. Even though the return shows PZ space, when I tried to book online in W-fare, it kept erroring out during payment. After 30 minutes on the phone, all they could tell me is that the website is showing the wrong fare class, and to use the GPU it would be another >$300 to book into a Q-fare.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by sapguy
For 2018, I used ALL of my GPUs and RPUs so if ANYONE believe that their GPUs and RPUs are useless, please PM me and I will put them to good use. Thanks
+1. I burn em as soon as I get them lol
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Or, more precisely, they'll correctly respond that they have no jurisdiction.
Good point. In order to disclaim it (in the technical sense of the word), there must be a claim in the first place. The Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 gives jurisdiction to the DOT.

Originally Posted by adams828
Well, so much for that. Even though the return shows PZ space, when I tried to book online in W-fare, it kept erroring out during payment. After 30 minutes on the phone, all they could tell me is that the website is showing the wrong fare class, and to use the GPU it would be another >$300 to book into a Q-fare.
If the W fare still shows up online, call back and ask to be transferred to web support. They often have the ability to honor fares that are showing on the website that the reservation agents can't see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.