Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TheMan
when you look at the upgrades in flight status 24hours before the flight and it indicates upgrades none but 1st is booked full does that mean there were never any available?
No, it means everyone has already been upgraded. But that would be a very rare situation because it would mean there were exactly enough upgrades to fill up the front.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are upgrades easy -- no but are there successes -- Yes

GPU upgrade SUCCESS 2018

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...u-success.html
RPUs seem tougher the GPU routes
Hub-hub domestic has been harder than some international routes

I have cleared (post booking) 4 TATL crossings this year (as a MM Gold)

and is there a thread on people's fustration -- yes, will move your post there
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheMan
when you look at the upgrades in flight status 24hours before the flight and it indicates upgrades none but 1st is booked full does that mean there were never any available?
It means that nobody was upgraded at the gate. It’s no longer possible to tell how many people were upgraded in advance, whether by using a certfiicate or, on eligible routes, with a complimentary upgrade.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:34 am
PPM

I echo this frustration and have posted here multiple times. I've been 1K for 25 years and these instruments used to be valuable. If a flyer had flexibility within a day or two, there was always the ability to use them. In the past 9 months, I've tried repeatedly to book a confirmed upgrade, using availability at the time of booking. I've tracked flights between ORD-LIM that never had any confirmable upgrade space and even the day prior to the flight, was showing half of the business class cabin vacant. Same for other ORD-LIM travel, ORD-ZHR, ORD-LHR, ORD-MUC and when I called the 1K desk, it was confirmed that there were no upgrades confirmable at booking for over 1 month on the flights I inquired about. I'm already trying to book confirmable space into the spring, and again--completely empty cabins and no confirmable upgrades on any route that I fly, and I fly at least 15 international trips a year. I think it is becoming clear that the GPUs are waitlist instruments that place you just above the complementary upgrades, but below the cash offers for non-elite passengers to upgrade at check in. Unlike others in this post, I do not consider the GPUs a "free" upgrade. They should have some cash value because they represent thousands of miles and dollars invested in a business that is not providing the opportunity to use what they consider a major "perk". I think it is clear that as a 1K, United will sell the business class seat on the day of departure for a small "upgrade" fee to a non-elite, and the 1K will be in coach while the non-elite is in business. Sitting on 12 unused GPUs and diverting all of my remaining international trips to other Star Alliance carriers because business class product is superior. This issue more than any other is the single factor that will move me from United next year. I am already 2MM so can board with Group 1, and without the ability to use upgrades, there really is not another reason to requalify for 1K.
Boraxo, mechteach and nomad420 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I'm looking for TATL R for next year (my dates are relatively fixed most of the time, for business meetings) and not seeing a whole lot, but I see some as long as I am willing to make connections. In fact, I wish I had some GPUs right now, as I'd book it, but I've already used mine for 2019 and don't expect to requalify for 1K for a few more weeks. (I could get them now for miles and copay, but I am willing to wait a while.) Also, I will buy business outright if the price were to drop a little more.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I'm looking for TATL R for next year (my dates are relatively fixed most of the time, for business meetings) and not seeing a whole lot, but I see some as long as I am willing to make connections.
You're seeing R? Really?
Phil Level and jjmoore like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I'm looking for TATL R for next year (my dates are relatively fixed most of the time, for business meetings) and not seeing a whole lot, but I see some as long as I am willing to make connections. In fact, I wish I had some GPUs right now, as I'd book it, but I've already used mine for 2019 and don't expect to requalify for 1K for a few more weeks. (I could get them now for miles and copay, but I am willing to wait a while.) Also, I will buy business outright if the price were to drop a little more.
My advice to you is to "start looking for PZ heavily"! R is a thing of the past.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PPM
I echo this frustration and have posted here multiple times. I've been 1K for 25 years and these instruments used to be valuable. If a flyer had flexibility within a day or two, there was always the ability to use them. In the past 9 months, I've tried repeatedly to book a confirmed upgrade, using availability at the time of booking. I've tracked flights between ORD-LIM that never had any confirmable upgrade space and even the day prior to the flight, was showing half of the business class cabin vacant. Same for other ORD-LIM travel, ORD-ZHR, ORD-LHR, ORD-MUC and when I called the 1K desk, it was confirmed that there were no upgrades confirmable at booking for over 1 month on the flights I inquired about. I'm already trying to book confirmable space into the spring, and again--completely empty cabins and no confirmable upgrades on any route that I fly, and I fly at least 15 international trips a year. I think it is becoming clear that the GPUs are waitlist instruments that place you just above the complementary upgrades, but below the cash offers for non-elite passengers to upgrade at check in. Unlike others in this post, I do not consider the GPUs a "free" upgrade. They should have some cash value because they represent thousands of miles and dollars invested in a business that is not providing the opportunity to use what they consider a major "perk". I think it is clear that as a 1K, United will sell the business class seat on the day of departure for a small "upgrade" fee to a non-elite, and the 1K will be in coach while the non-elite is in business. Sitting on 12 unused GPUs and diverting all of my remaining international trips to other Star Alliance carriers because business class product is superior. This issue more than any other is the single factor that will move me from United next year. I am already 2MM so can board with Group 1, and without the ability to use upgrades, there really is not another reason to requalify for 1K.
+1
Welcome to my world. While I will still make 1K for the next couple of years after that I find very few reasons to push for it. I am a 1MM and may bet to 2MM in a couple of years so feel much the same way. I have said this before as well on this thread, with little to no flexibility with my travel schedule I no longer use GPU on TPACs or TATLs I simply apply them to any and all my domestic flights all year with mixed results.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm currently experiencing the frustrating side of upgrades... I knew going in that even a waitlisted GPU would never clear a 319, but it is nonetheless annoying to watch the flight go from 5/8 at T-30h to slowly tick full after check-in without any upgrades clearing, and then still die at #4 on the list. The TPAC cleared though, which is the important part
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I speak as someone who has been successful with 7/8 GPUs in 2018. Waiting for #8 to come through for a SFO-LHR flight in two weeks. It is a red eye so really hoping it does happen.

Most GPUs did not happen at booking but a few weeks later or at the gate. Although I realize it is frustrating to not know if the upgrade will happen the main reason I want the upgrade is for the ability to sleep on the flight, hence I am okay if the returns from London are in Y, although obviously J is nicer and most welcome.

Accordingly i am not as concerned if the upgrade does not happen until I am at the gate. The only advantage is the Polaris lounge and this is the connecting flight for me so not too concerned as I usually have the MCT - airports are not my favorite place.

I have started my bookings for 2019 and although I would love to book P the fares are ridiculous so I am booking W fares knowing I will make 1K on the LHR flights and start applying the 8 GPUs I will receive. Not sure why the P fares are now so expensive unless it is truly to have a significant gap between Polaris and PP/E+.

i do expect to use all my GPUs in 2019 but unless the P fares come down as I know I will not be making the PQD in 2019 more incentive to book OAL in confirmed J.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Not sure why the P fares are now so expensive
I'm not seeing many Ps out there for long-haul in 2019. Many flights UA is only selling down to C right now. Even with a cabin that is booked 2/60 ten weeks out. Color me skeptical this new pricing strategy will work out for them.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:57 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not seeing many Ps out there for long-haul in 2019. Many flights UA is only selling down to C right now. Even with a cabin that is booked 2/60 ten weeks out. Color me skeptical this new pricing strategy will work out for them.
I have also seen this and have had to bite on a few C fares for work travel because I can't leave things up in the air. I am sure that is what they are banking on.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I have started my bookings for 2019 and although I would love to book P the fares are ridiculous so I am booking W fares.....
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not seeing many Ps out there for long-haul in 2019. Many flights UA is only selling down to C right now. Even with a cabin that is booked 2/60 ten weeks out.....
If memory serves me right, UA did the same thing a year ago.
They start off with either no P availability, or at ridiculous prices. It will take them some time to get "realistic", which they eventually did for the 2018 season (for my destinations).
I had a tough time for Jan-Feb-Mar-April 2018 flights, but then decent P fares for the rest of the year.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Gifted cert didn't clear this AM SFO-LAX. Although wasn't optimistic as my friend was I think was either Silver or no status. Also Monday AM SFO-LAX is a business bus basically.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Been monitoring my upcoming flight to DC next Tuesday since I bought the ticket. The cash upgrade price has fluctuated for 2 weeks and is now $168 for the IAH-IAD leg but certificates have never moved out of Waitlist Only. I'm about ready to purchase the upgrade for cash instead of using the cert at that price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.