Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:27 pm
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
So I'm trying to find a P.S. flight to use my RPU's on before they expire but with no luck. EWR - OGG preferably. They expire 1/31. I asked the rep if I can book a flight beyond that and apply the upgrades. I was told that the flight has to be completed by 1/31. Is that true? What if I find a flight where the upgrade clears immediately with R availability past 1/31?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by skyccord
So I'm trying to find a P.S. flight to use my RPU's on before they expire but with no luck. EWR - OGG preferably. ...
There are no non-stop EWR-OGG flights, and while there are EWR-HNL with lie flat seats, they are not considered PS or pts flights

... They expire 1/31. I asked the rep if I can book a flight beyond that and apply the upgrades. I was told that the flight has to be completed by 1/31. Is that true? What if I find a flight where the upgrade clears immediately with R availability past 1/31?
The agent is correct, RPU cannot be applied to a flight past the expiration date.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Still batting .000

I have flown about a dozen transcon flights this year, and not one had cleared; no luck either on flights to/from ORD and BOS, despite some of them as W fares.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:09 pm
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There are no non-stop EWR-OGG flights, and while there are EWR-HNL with lie flat seats, they are not considered PS or pts flights

The agent is correct, RPU cannot be applied to a flight past the expiration date.
Yea I know there are no direct EWR-OGG. It's EWR-SFO-OGG. EWR-SFO is the P.S.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
you can use a single RPU to waitlist or confirm both segments. 1/31/19 last day for a flight to use a 2018 RPU ... those do not get extended.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or take a look at EWR-LAX-OGG. EWR-LAX might be a bit less elite-heavy/easier to clear than SFO.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:13 am
formerly skyccord

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Or take a look at EWR-LAX-OGG. EWR-LAX might be a bit less elite-heavy/easier to clear than SFO.
Thanks. Called the desk and only found 1 date in December that conflicts with a trip on another carrier. Appreciate the help.

Definitely not the way I planned it all out in my brain as I really wanted to use these things on a route with no cpu option.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Definitely not the way I planned it all out in my brain as I really wanted to use these things on a route with no cpu option.
That's an excellent strategy for allowing them to expire unused.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
On Saturday (9/22) one pax cleared an upgrade EWR-LAX, seated next to me, so I congratulated her. She was also surprised the UG cleared!
There were approx 10 on the UG list.
ft1984 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
My companion and I went 0 for 4 this past weekend on our SFO-EWR-SFO flights w/ GPU's

We were on the 6:00 AM, Thursday flight, SFO-EWR and we made it as high as #6 and #7 .

We were on the 8:10 AM, Sunday flight, EWR-SFO and we made it as high as #4 and #9 (thanks to the reservation split)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
My companion and I went 0 for 4 this past weekend on our SFO-EWR-SFO flights w/ GPU's

We were on the 6:00 AM, Thursday flight, SFO-EWR and we made it as high as #6 and #7 .

We were on the 8:10 AM, Sunday flight, EWR-SFO and we made it as high as #4 and #9 (thanks to the reservation split)
Yeah, EWR p.s. is very though to clear, even for GS. Those flights seem to be very profitable for UA.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:52 am

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
Is there any way that an RPU can be used for E- to E+ given the chances of an upgrade to F are close to zero?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by arisaa
Is there any way that an RPU can be used for E- to E+ given the chances of an upgrade to F are close to zero?
No.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I need to ask, as I was tempted to try UA on for size a year or two... can't you confirm a GPU at booking if there is availability in the right bucket? Or are GPUs cleared closer to the flight based on status / fare?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Yeah, EWR p.s. is very though to clear, even for GS. Those flights seem to be very profitable for UA.
They usually book near full on full business class fares. The leftover seats are often fire saled at OLCI for $290 - $400.... which means upgrades rarely clear. I missed several as a GS, and miss even more often as a 1K, except for one instance where I think they screwed up the OLCI offers.

Originally Posted by thebigben
I need to ask, as I was tempted to try UA on for size a year or two... can't you confirm a GPU at booking if there is availability in the right bucket? Or are GPUs cleared closer to the flight based on status / fare?
If R space is available at booking, you will clear a RPU / GPU immediately. If GS, PN is the bucket. If no R or PN is available, your chances are <10% to clear at the gate, imho.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.