Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
woo for clearing! But are you going to make it out? Tomorrow seems pretty iffy. Safe travels and hope you have a backup plan in case the airport closes.
Thanks, working on it now and not optimistic about getting out on the red-eye tomorrow. Flight out in 2 hours I hear with a couple of seats left but I am still buttoning things up here at the home and office. Yeah the RUP clearance doesn't mean much anymore...LOL. If need be I can weather the storm out here and fly out on Sunday or Monday.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
tried for a colleague today SFO-PHL. No chance on a W fare. 7th on the list.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I also get upset when I cannot use GPUs (less so with RPUs but I do very few domestic flights) and I am 7 for 8 this year (waiting for last GPU to take for a November flight) and I have used all my RPUs but I tend to use them on short domestic flights so it is all good.

There was a time a couple of years back where my GPUs were sitting unused, but the approach I decided to take was if it were really that important to sit up front I paid the "P" fare or flew OAL.

I remember back in the 1980s in Australia, the UGs were assigned by people who recognized you in the lounge and not due to applying a certificate. My first use of a certificate/miles was on Continental flying from Sydney to Houston - that was a treat as I had seat 1A. I then discovered that time upgrading with miles got me miles flown at the Business First rate rather than the Coach rate, and then discovered the same thing when flying United - best system in the world IMO.

Then it all started to change and now the UG only earns at the fare purchased rate, and we now complain that the upgrades do not happen as much as we would like. However, I still take the approach that it is fortunate if the UG happens and I compare price of the "W" fare to a lower fare plus the co-pay for the GPUs. As I mentioned I like the RPUs but just as happy to give my first class seat on a domestic flight to a uniformed military person.

The GPUs and RPUs and CPUs are to reward their loyal customers but basically the airline is their to make money for the shareholders, so sell the upgrade on the day makes more money - my only compliant is that when I have applied an instrument I do not get the TOD, or it is more than a non-status travel companion - now that they should fix.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:39 pm
PPM

As a 1K, I am sitting on unused RPUs and GPUs that do not clear. I had booked a saver award fare for my sister to fly from IAD to LAX yesterday evening. She told me that yesterday morning, she found an offer to upgrade to first class for $169. She paid the $169, and is not even a silver member and was flying on a free ticket. I can only imagine how many 1Ks with RPUs for this flight she displaced. This is an outrage.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PPM
I can only imagine how many 1Ks with RPUs for this flight she displaced.
IAD-LAX? At least half a dozen. On IAD-SFO would have been minimum double that.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: UA
Have been 1K in a few years. Managed to use up my GPU all the time because i am able to fly Tue-Thur.
Never used up my RPU as i haven't been flying domestic a lot. But just managed to upgrade a colleague on SFO->IAD.
Domestic upgrades for < 4 hour flights aren't worth the bother anyhow IMHO.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PPM
I can only imagine how many 1Ks with RPUs for this flight she displaced.
She only displaced one 1K (or GS or Platinum) with RPU. But 5 other passengers taking the offer would have displaced 5 1Ks (or GS or Platinum) on the IAD-LAX passengers.

But, also, when I flew ORD-LAX-ORD the price of the ticket in First was just $300 more than the price in Economy.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by PPM
As a 1K, I am sitting on unused RPUs and GPUs that do not clear. I had booked a saver award fare for my sister to fly from IAD to LAX yesterday evening. She told me that yesterday morning, she found an offer to upgrade to first class for $169. She paid the $169, and is not even a silver member and was flying on a free ticket. I can only imagine how many 1Ks with RPUs for this flight she displaced. This is an outrage.
That is the way it is. I'm a 1K and I take domestic cash buy up offers all the time. I do that because I know others will, and as a result, few on the waitlist clear (and I believe I've only gotten a CPU once that I can remember). A waitlist is a real long shot - if I really want to be in first or business, I will look for a discount fare or R at booking, which is what I always do for international flights, where it really matters. I will occasionally throw a certificate at a domestic flight just for the heck of it, and they clear maybe a third to a half of the time. Still, between 3-4 international trips and a dozen domestic trips a year, I manage to use up every certificate. They are just not worth the thousands of dollars apiece they might be if you could use them all the time on international flights.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Artpen100
That is the way it is. I'm a 1K and I take domestic cash buy up offers all the time. I do that because I know others will, and as a result, few on the waitlist clear (and I believe I've only gotten a CPU once that I can remember). A waitlist is a real long shot - if I really want to be in first or business, I will look for a discount fare or R at booking, which is what I always do for international flights, where it really matters. I will occasionally throw a certificate at a domestic flight just for the heck of it, and they clear maybe a third to a half of the time. Still, between 3-4 international trips and a dozen domestic trips a year, I manage to use up every certificate. They are just not worth the thousands of dollars apiece they might be if you could use them all the time on international flights.
I think the price of buy-ups has increased sometime in the last 1-2 weeks. I am seeing SFO-DEN / DEN-SFO at $169 instead of $149 now.... likewise, I am seeing ORD-DEN at $149 instead of $139. Looks like UA is getting even greedier.

Don't forget that even when you view the reservation and see the buyups (greater than 24 hours prior to departure), these buyups do not give you any PQD/RDM bonus anymore like they used to give when it actually adjusted your base fare.

I hope this reduces the number of buy-ups and allows a few more upgrades to clear. It's really a sad state of affairs for upgrade certificates right now... I am sitting on a bank of them, and am unfortunately flying lots of DEN-SFO and some trans-cons in the next few weeks, which are certain to not clear regardless of what I do... but there is hope to maybe clear 1-2 more at the gate with the higher buy-up prices......
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:07 am

My RPU supported DEN-ORD failed on a W fare on a B738 on Thu 8/23. I was #5 on the list as a 1K but not a single pax was upgraded on my flight. A quick scan of all DEN-ORD fights on 8/23 revealed that no flight saw more than 3 upgrades clear, and all other flights had either none, one or two pax clear. My flight had 4 GS pax (called out at boarding) so as a 1K, it appears that UA is pretty close to having DEN-ORD as a no-upgrade route, even with instrument, except for some of the GS and then only sometimes. One of the GS sat in 20D. I think it’s time to change the marketing materials to accurately portray how utterly rarely an UG can be scored anymore even with RPU.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
My RPU supported DEN-ORD failed on a W fare on a B738 on Thu 8/23. I was #5 on the list as a 1K but not a single pax was upgraded on my flight. A quick scan of all DEN-ORD fights on 8/23 revealed that no flight saw more than 3 upgrades clear, and all other flights had either none, one or two pax clear. My flight had 4 GS pax (called out at boarding) so as a 1K, it appears that UA is pretty close to having DEN-ORD as a no-upgrade route, even with instrument, except for some of the GS and then only sometimes. One of the GS sat in 20D. I think it’s time to change the marketing materials to accurately portray how utterly rarely an UG can be scored anymore even with RPU.
Note that they have enhanced the upgrade list so that any cleared before check in do not show.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by fumje
Note that they have enhanced the upgrade list so that any cleared before check in do not show.
I like this a lot, as it gives much more anonymity to those sitting in first on upgrades vs. paid fares.... I like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
How do I get an offer to buy up prior to the flight. I am 1k on E fare that applied an RPU to IAD-Den on Monday on a 787. An E fare and there are now only 4 biz class seats left and the seat map shows Y mostly full. Yet online I can't find anyway to upgrade with $ ahead of the flight, nor can I get back into the upgrade my reservation screen on the new, terrible flight management page. Do I have to call in and have the agent do it?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Billygreg
How do I get an offer to buy up prior to the flight. I am 1k on E fare that applied an RPU to IAD-Den on Monday on a 787. An E fare and there are now only 4 biz class seats left and the seat map shows Y mostly full. Yet online I can't find anyway to upgrade with $ ahead of the flight, nor can I get back into the upgrade my reservation screen on the new, terrible flight management page. Do I have to call in and have the agent do it?
I would certainly call in.

I have noticed on flights where I have applied an instrument, I am not able to buy up after check-in, even if seats are available.... this is very frustrating.... to the point that I may call in and have the instrument refunded prior to check-in in the future so at least I have a chance to buy on on my trans-con flights.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I think the price of buy-ups has increased sometime in the last 1-2 weeks. I am seeing SFO-DEN / DEN-SFO at $169 instead of $149 now.... likewise, I am seeing ORD-DEN at $149 instead of $139. Looks like UA is getting even greedier.

but there is hope to maybe clear 1-2 more at the gate with the higher buy-up prices......
I don't think that an additional $10 or $20 is going to change the situation, especially when at check-in UA can adjust the number down. Example, days before my flight the upgrade for my DCA to ORD flight was $149. At check-in it was $113. I did not take the offer as I never do it on domestic flights. And I already give too much money to UA for the upgrades on the international long hauls. I have to save somewhere.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.