Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agree there's been a drastic reduction (and that it devalues 1K pretty substantially for many of us), but UA started killing upgrades (and saver awards) on ps before the switch from JFK to EWR.
Your memory is probably better than mine, Kacee.
That said, I was on the very last flight JFK-LAX on Oct 24, 2015, and I just found my original booking $193 (L Fare), and the upgrade notification email. I sat in 5B for that flight.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Excellent RPU Avail from SJC

Several months ago, I finally had my fill of the abysmal SFO airport experience and decided to switch my transcon flights and some Asia flights to SJC--Wow, what a difference! I am now 6 for 6 on RPU upgrades for SJC-EWR, SJC-ORD-various East Coast destinations. A couple of days ago, I applied a RPU to a no-status contractor's (soon to be an extinct classification in CA) ticket and he got upgraded at T-24.

Anybody else experiencing this?
Old May 2, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Gratefully was able to confirm R via RPU on UA1483 EWR-SFO tomorrow morning; cleared at T-23. We'll see if I'm as lucky with the SFO-AUS red-eye that same evening.

Also, booked AUS-IAH-SYD-LAX and confirmed R all the way at time of booking. 7/7 GPUs on long-haul flights confirmed at time of booking this year. Granted, I typically have some flexibility and am able to hunt for availability, but I've not had one GPU expire unused over the last 5 years.

Last edited by timezone_trooper; May 2, 2018 at 12:32 pm Reason: Additional detail
Old May 2, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Several months ago, I finally had my fill of the abysmal SFO airport experience and decided to switch my transcon flights and some Asia flights to SJC--Wow, what a difference! I am now 6 for 6 on RPU upgrades for SJC-EWR, SJC-ORD-various East Coast destinations. A couple of days ago, I applied a RPU to a no-status contractor's (soon to be an extinct classification in CA) ticket and he got upgraded at T-24.

Anybody else experiencing this?
The secret is out. Your RPU clearing percentage on these routes may suffer. Lol! The reason is that a lot of SJ Valley travelers do not know the existence of SJC-EWR/ORD flights. Happy travel.
laxmillenial likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:40 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
It has gotten really bad… I've applied them 20+ times in the past few months with almost all failing. Had 3 GPUs expire on me.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kmxu

The secret is out. Your RPU clearing percentage on these routes may suffer. Lol! The reason is that a lot of SJ Valley travelers do not know the existence of SJC-EWR/ORD flights. Happy travel.
It's hard to beat the frequency of flights out of SFO, albeit with lower odds of an upgrade, supported of unsupported. Frankly, the terminal in SJC leaves a lot to be desired so I avoid it as much as possible. Personal preference, but SFO is always going to be more attractive to me no matter how far down the valley I have to go.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
A question for folks here: is it worth the trouble calling in to UA to have cleared RPUs un-redeemed? My wife and I are both taking trips to South Florida this upcoming week that are wide open in F - so we would almost certainly get a CPU. However, I also know that it’s (highly) unlikely that either of us will have a meaningful chance to burn them before they expire. Thoughts?
Old May 3, 2018, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
A question for folks here: is it worth the trouble calling in to UA to have cleared RPUs un-redeemed? My wife and I are both taking trips to South Florida this upcoming week that are wide open in F - so we would almost certainly get a CPU. However, I also know that it’s (highly) unlikely that either of us will have a meaningful chance to burn them before they expire. Thoughts?
You'll get different opinions. All mine that cleared last year would have cleared as CPUs, so I wouldn't bother on a CPU eligible route. Others value RPUs more highly.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
You'll get different opinions. All mine that cleared last year would have cleared as CPUs, so I wouldn't bother on a CPU eligible route. Others value RPUs more highly.
My flight just ran T-48 CPUs and cleared a bunch more - so not going to bother on my flight (for now).
Old May 3, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
Frankly, the terminal in SJC leaves a lot to be desired so I avoid it as much as possible. Personal preference, but SFO is always going to be more attractive to me no matter how far down the valley I have to go.
Funny, this is exactly how I feel about the SFO terminal and concourses. The delays/cancellations rate at SFO is abysmal. The rental car set-up is the worst in the US, except for LAX (and I no longer fly in/out of there either).
timezone_trooper likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I did it last year. Then I had 3 RPU expire. Was it worth it? You tell me
Old May 18, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
AGAIN didn't clear on KOA-SFO, was actually surprised at how far down the upgrade list I was at T24, From the list it looked like I had a GS and his/her family above me, they cleared out what little was left.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by nomad420
AGAIN didn't clear on KOA-SFO, was actually surprised at how far down the upgrade list I was at T24, From the list it looked like I had a GS and his/her family above me, they cleared out what little was left.
I mean this seriously, not snarkily - why does this surprise you? It's a flight on a relatively small aircraft from the airport serving some of the highest end resorts in Hawaii, destination the home of probably the highest concentration of GS in the entire UA system.
SFOdelayed likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: UA GS
Nomad420.......how far down the list were you. A little confusing from your post. Were you #24?
LASUA1K likes this.

Last edited by LAXOGG; May 18, 2018 at 11:36 am
Old May 18, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Respectfully disagree with your statement that #24 on the upgrade list as a 1K would not be that abnormal. I would suspect that a more typical placement on the upgrade list for a 1K would be top 3 to 5.
I would agree with you from OGG and HNL, but (and my experience is not as extensive as yours, I'm sure), I've never been within spitting distance of an upgrade out of KOA. That could be influenced by the fact that I'm always traveling during or near school holidays (which we're getting to now, since colleges are getting out).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.