Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by tryathlete
will I improve my chances (move up on the waitlist rank) if I fareup inside the 24 hour window?
Honestly, I don't know. If the ticket is reissued, it will probably drop the upgrade request entirely, and if it isn't I'm skeptical it will update the code on the PNR. I definitely wouldn't risk it without solid confirmation.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
GG Fareup to move up on waitlist?
will I improve my chances (move up on the waitlist rank) if I fareup inside the 24 hour window?
Strictly speaking, GG BUYUP only waives the change fee if changing a cabin. However, there have been numerous reports of people being successful up- faring to GPU eligible fare. Whether you would get a change fee waiver this situation is a potential issue.

And as mentioned, up-faring may drop the waitlist and then the agent would have to potentially waive another rule on applying an upgrade inside of T-24.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
There's no universal rule. The second tiebreaker for upgrade waitlist is fare, after status. If you have 1K status it might be worthwhile if the flight load is tight but not too tight (intentionally vague). If there aren't many seats left or there are many seats left, it could be a waste of money.

edit: actually to respond literally to your question, yes.
Originally Posted by findark
Honestly, I don't know. If the ticket is reissued, it will probably drop the upgrade request entirely, and if it isn't I'm skeptical it will update the code on the PNR. I definitely wouldn't risk it without solid confirmation.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Strictly speaking, GG BUYUP only waives the change fee if changing a cabin. However, there have been numerous reports of people being successful up- faring to GPU eligible fare. Whether you would get a change fee waiver this situation is a potential issue.

And as mentioned, up-faring may drop the waitlist and then the agent would have to potentially waive another rule on applying an upgrade inside of T-24.
Ah I misunderstood the question (thought "24 hours" was referring to the post-reservation window).

Agree that it is a strange corner case and probably not wise to attempt. I would give very high odds to the upgrade request being dropped, as setting change fee questions aside, the normal buyup procedure results in reissue.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
Ah I misunderstood the question (thought "24 hours" was referring to the post-reservation window).
On second read, you could be right. If the OP is referring to the 24 hour post purchase time window, there is no need for GG BUYUP(that was what threw me plus the fact of referring to the waitlist). and no change fee .

If the post purchase timeframe is the 24 hour being reffered to, then the upfaring will improve the second sort item, fare class but other than perhaps getting out of the W fare logjam, the value of upfaing is questionable. This strategy really only has value if you are on the bubble - the last to make it vs the first not to make it. The rest of the time it is wasted money.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 25, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
On second read, you could be right. If the OP is referring to the 24 hour post purchase time window, there is no need for GG BUYUP(that was what threw me plus the fact of referring to the waitlist). and no change fee .
Agree - I might have jumped to the wrong conclusion.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
With premium economy coming to int'l flights, and rumors abounding that AA will be treating their SWUs from economy to their premium economy product instead of business class, I wonder if the same is in store for UA and usage of GPUs.............
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jjmoore
With premium economy coming to int'l flights, and rumors abounding that AA will be treating their SWUs from economy to their premium economy product instead of business class, I wonder if the same is in store for UA and usage of GPUs.............
They're rumors. And they were even debunked by AA itself.

AA even confirmed SWUs will continue to allow Economy -> Business upgrade, not Economy -> PE.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
They're rumors. And they were even debunked by AA itself.

AA even confirmed SWUs will continue to allow Economy -> Business upgrade, not Economy -> PE.
Yes, the consistently reliable JonNYC calls the rumor "patently untrue."

It would make no sense whatsoever for UA to do this given their fare structure (particularly the W fare minimum), and would be inconsistent with how their JV partners LH and NH handle instrument upgrades.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Difficult to use, requiring flexibility and perhaps a little nailbiting? Sure...but useless? No.

Redeemed two RPUs for the other half a couple weeks ago - ONT/DEN/ONT cleared the RPU at booking, DEN/FLL/DEN were both battlefield upgrades. Just redeemed a GPU SFO-HKG in July - needed to be flexible with the date, but got it worked out and cleared at booking.
tstauck likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Difficult to use, requiring flexibility and perhaps a little nailbiting? Sure...but useless? No.

Redeemed two RPUs for the other half a couple weeks ago - ONT/DEN/ONT cleared the RPU at booking, DEN/FLL/DEN were both battlefield upgrades. Just redeemed a GPU SFO-HKG in July - needed to be flexible with the date, but got it worked out and cleared at booking.
A month ago redeemed a GPU at booking for Mrs. for FRA/EWR in June, but the outbound EWR/TXL in May is still waitlisted. If we were flexible and left two days earlier, GPU was and still is available, however my paid fare would have been $2k higher.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
it;s been a rough year for RPU's but was able to lock in 2 upgrades at booking last night for EWR-SFO, albeit at 9pm on a saturday but that actually fit my schedule.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: United, Starwood
Lack of Upgrades on United (for 1k; including RPUs)

Fellow Travelers:

I wanted to share with you my recent experience as a 1K flyer with United. In terms of some history and context . . . I have been a frequent flyer with a number of airlines over the years and typically vary in terms of elite status from silver up to top tier (i.e. 1k). I remember in years past that I was often upgraded even as an elite Gold traveler. In fact, one year as a United Silver, I was even upgraded a couple of times (much to me surprise and satisfaction).

Oh how times have changed. In recent years there has been much discussion that the few available upgraded seats were sold for TODs (tens of dollars) to the highest bidder as compared to retaining ANY seats to award the most loyal travelers. It seems that almost ALL seats are now being sold for TODs as my experience as a 1K (often on Class M tickets) indicates that upgrades are becoming fewer and further between . . . including on both main routes between hubs as well as smaller feeder routes. In fact, I can not even get upgraded as a 1K using RPUs these days. If you will note me email to United's 1k voice desk, I received no sympathy from United!

Perhaps, I am whining about "first world problems" and putting too much expectation into a system that is effectively granting "awards" as compared to something we "deserve". That said, LOYALTY is a two way street. If we are acknowledging that upgrades are largely in the past (and we instead get a free snack box in economy class as a 1K!), we must also temper our approach to loyalty and really determine if the stress and <often> inconvenience of always using one carrier is worth the minimal "elite perks" which we are now being granted . . .

I would certainly appreciate perspectives of my fellow flyers . . . perhaps, I am envisioning the Flyer<->Carrier relationship differently then you . . .

Cheers,

Herb
------------------------
To: [email protected]
Subject: Extend RPUs
Date: April 26, 2018 3:18:13 PM CDT
1k Voice Desk:

Greetings! My name is Herb xxxx and I am a multi-year 1k member. I have had very bad luck on upgrades lately. Aside from the fact that I (as a 1k) have not had a CPU in months, I can't even seem to get upgraded when I use RPUs. In fact, I have tried to use five RPUs over the last few weeks and I have a ZERO percent success rate.

One of my RPUs for a flight tomorrow will similarly be unused due tothe current flight status. The issue is the RPU will expire on April 30th. As I have been unable to utilize RPUs . . . not for lack of trying, can I get an extension on this RPU so it does not expire next week? I appreciate the assistance.

Regards,

Herb xxx
United 1K # JXXXXX

Response from United 1k Voice Desk:
Thanks for participating in the MileagePlus program!

Global Premier and Regional Premier Upgrades are valid through the end of the following Premier program year and travel must be completed by the expiration date.
I’m sorry, but we’re unable to extend these upgrades past their expiration.
Thank you for flying United.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 27, 2018 at 10:43 am Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hschreib
Fellow Travelers:

I wanted to share with you my recent experience as a 1K flyer with United. In terms of some history and context . . . I have been a frequent flyer with a number of airlines over the years and typically vary in terms of elite status from silver up to top tier (i.e. 1k). I remember in years past that I was often upgraded even as an elite Gold traveler. In fact, one year as a United Silver, I was even upgraded a couple of times (much to me surprise and satisfaction).

Oh how times have changed. In recent years there has been much discussion that the few available upgraded seats were sold for TODs (tens of dollars) to the highest bidder as compared to retaining ANY seats to award the most loyal travelers. It seems that almost ALL seats are now being sold for TODs as my experience as a 1K (often on Class M tickets) indicates that upgrades are becoming fewer and further between . . . including on both main routes between hubs as well as smaller feeder routes. In fact, I can not even get upgraded as a 1K using RPUs these days. If you will note me email to United's 1k voice desk, I received no sympathy from United!

Perhaps, I am whining about "first world problems" and putting too much expectation into a system that is effectively granting "awards" as compared to something we "deserve". That said, LOYALTY is a two way street. If we are acknowledging that upgrades are largely in the past (and we instead get a free snack box in economy class as a 1K!), we must also temper our approach to loyalty and really determine if the stress and <often> inconvenience of always using one carrier is worth the minimal "elite perks" which we are now being granted . . .

I would certainly appreciate perspectives of my fellow flyers . . . perhaps, I am envisioning the Flyer<->Carrier relationship differently then you . . .

Cheers,

Herb
------------------------
To:
[email protected]
Subject: Extend RPUs
Date: April 26, 2018 3:18:13 PM CDT
1k Voice Desk:

Greetings! My name is Herb xxxx and I am a multi-year 1k member. I have had very bad luck on upgrades lately. Aside from the fact that I (as a 1k) have not had a CPU in months, I can't even seem to get upgraded when I use RPUs. In fact, I have tried to use five RPUs over the last few weeks and I have a ZERO percent success rate.

One of my RPUs for a flight tomorrow will similarly be unused due tothe current flight status.
The issue is the RPU will expire on April 30th. As I have been unable to utilize RPUs . . . not for lack of trying, can I get an extension on this RPU so it does not expire next week? I appreciate the assistance.

Regards,

Herb xxx
United 1K # JXXXXX

Response from United 1k Voice Desk:
Thanks for participating in the MileagePlus program!

Global Premier and Regional Premier Upgrades are valid through the end of the following Premier program year and travel must be completed by the expiration date.
Im sorry, but were unable to extend these upgrades past their expiration.
Thank you for flying United.
How do you have a 30-APR expiry RPU?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: United, Starwood
I think most RPUs we're excited by three months. I thought it was the default.

Herb
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hschreib
I think most RPUs we're excited by three months. I thought it was the default.
RPUs cannot be extended, GPUs can. At least that's the default rule.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.