Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by nottarockstar
If you're red eye, I had pretty good % on clearing those earlier in the year - even before hitting gold.

I'm on an afternoon flight later today (SFO-EWR) and looks like I'm #4 with a full cabin (1k + gpu) as of now. Full cabin on way back tomorrow already, and full cabin to IAD later this week... will bring me up to 0/10 since becoming 1k.
SFO-SJD this Friday and still standing my GPU to clear. On n a Friday into SJD I am not holding my breath I assure you). FWIW flight booked months ago and GPU applied at that time. While I have had a few clear over the last 18 months my denominator is probably more like 3/50 at least. As others are now doing, I throw them at anything I book now just to burn them but I sense this is happening all over the system so even as a 1K they are tough to use. I recently (last couple months) have not had SFO-LAX, SFO-SLC, SFO-LAS, SFO-SEA all not clear in either direction.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
Recently I flew LAXIAD on a 752 intl configuration. I had booked it 3 months earlier. Naturally it was R0 at booking time, so I waitlisted for an upgrade with an RPU. At the club on the day of departure, I was #5 on the upgrade list, but it was booked 15/16. The agent offered me the remaining F seat for $249, so I took it. I enjoyed the flight, but the RPU was indeed useless.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: United, Delta, AA, southwest
Flew LAX to IAD with K fare, was #1 on list but never cleared. 2nd segment IAD to BOS cleared 10 days in advance.

Return from BOS to IAH cleared 5 days in advance. Next segment IAH to LAX was #1 on list with one seat open then GS jumped me to #2 on list. Seat disappeared from map and I went back to #1 .
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Howard
Recently I flew LAXIAD on a 752 intl configuration. I had booked it 3 months earlier. Naturally it was R0 at booking time, so I waitlisted for an upgrade with an RPU. At the club on the day of departure, I was #5 on the upgrade list, but it was booked 15/16. The agent offered me the remaining F seat for $249, so I took it. I enjoyed the flight, but the RPU was indeed useless.
I get those "TOD" offers all the time and some times I grab them and some times I pass. Depends on many factors obviously, price, route, times, how I feel, how much cash is in my pocket, etc.... But yeah, that is the ultimate frustration lately. You book the flight and apply the "upgrade instrument" and wait. However, lately (last year at least) my experience is that I get constantly taken out by last minute TOD purchase. Hey, been through too many FT discussions on this, I know United is in the business to make money... I get it...It is what it is...
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Finally cleared SFO-PHX (two pax) for Friday night after two consecutive fails on this route.

Would have CPUed . . . after T-96 sweep still booked only 10/20.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Would have CPUed . . . after T-96 sweep still booked only 10/20.
Continues to be the pitfall of RPUs for me as a 1K - usually an easy RPU is also an easy CPU.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Continues to be the pitfall of RPUs for me as a 1K - usually an easy RPU is also an easy CPU.
Yep, this is why outside the occasional miracle, I find them worthless for myself. Best use is for others with lower/no status, since it will jump them in front of the CPU queue.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by findark
From recent experience there’s no difference between RPu and CPU when the RPU fails to clear either at booking or many days ahead. I’ve seen 15-20 seats go to buyups inside of T-24 on widebodies from
Big hubs on domestic routes.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tryathlete
From recent experience there’s no difference between RPu and CPU when the RPU fails to clear either at booking or many days ahead. I’ve seen 15-20 seats go to buyups inside of T-24 on widebodies from
Agreed.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
The only real advantage of an RPU in this scenario is that if there is a no-show or a misconnect, and you're #1 thanks to a supported upgrade, you'll get the battlefield upgrade. It doesn't happen often, but it happened to me a few weeks ago, and when I monitor the upgrade list I notice it happen quite often to #1, and sometimes #2.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yep, this is why outside the occasional miracle, I find them worthless for myself. Best use is for others with lower/no status, since it will jump them in front of the CPU queue.
+1
I gift them to family all the time, my brother has about a 25% clearance rate with them as he flies out of non hubs often and will take the odd hour flights as well.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
Agree
All my international travel is on J so I mainly use my GPU for domestic, especially transcontinental

But honestly it is really hard to clear, I have had little success, and mainly it is at the gate. Even buying tickets with several months in advance and having most of J open. Example, flying back BOS-IAH-SAN (12/7), my last flight of the year so using a GPU, right now on the leg BOS-IAH there are 0/20 seats booked on J. How can it be that I have not cleared?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, KF Gold, Marriott Titanium
9 GPs and 11 RPs sitting in my acccount....haven't been able to use them on any of my flights....probably end up using them on some meaningless LAX-LAS flight...what a wasted perk...not really much a perk these days.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
Originally Posted by icemaker
9 GPs and 11 RPs sitting in my acccount....haven't been able to use them on any of my flights....probably end up using them on some meaningless LAX-LAS flight...what a wasted perk...not really much a perk these days.
Agree... not really a perk these days
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: United Plat
SFO-AUS (non-stop)

Monday afternoon outbound; Friday evening inbound.

Both ways were cleared with RPU 16 days before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.